Profile for Saturnicus > Reviews

Content by Saturnicus

Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter)
Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter)
by James Carol

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Easy Read......., 1 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first Jefferson Winter novel. He is a former FBI agent who quit rather than get fired because of his rather dissident ways. Much sought after throughout the world, he comes to London to solve the disappearance of five young ladies who have been abducted. They then make their reappearance lobotomised.
Winter is a rather bog standard hero and there is the inevitable hotshot police woman as his sidekick in this adventure, but somehow the author pulls it off. The writing is in no way spectacular or particularly intellectual, but yet the story keeps the reader hanging in there. Personally, I found it difficult to lay down and I certainly would not mind reading the next offering from Mr Carol.
I have, however, omitted to mention, that Jefferson Winter gets his insights largely genetically? His father was executed as a serial killer.
I wonder if it would appeal rather more to female readers.

The Sun is God
The Sun is God
by Adrian McKinty

5.0 out of 5 stars They are all "coconuts"....., 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Sun is God (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Cocovores. live on an island in the German occupied islands of the South Seas prior to the First World War. There has been a death there. Was it malaria or murder. Will Prior, a former military policeman or similar, and Hauptmann Kessler, along with Miss Pullen-Burry, the sort of lady who would have been a major influence in the suffragette movement, are sent out to investigate. The Cocovores believe that they have found the secret of eternal life and that it is based on eating coconuts, the odd banana, and all washed down with lashings of heroin, and without the encumbrance of clothing..
It is a great story and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Firstly I was attracted to this book because it was written by Adrian McKinty and I am rapidly becoming one of his biggest fans.He just gets better and better.
It is a great summer read and there are more than a few laughs in it. I found it very difficult to put down.
I wonder if Will Prior will reappear?

Summer of Ghosts
Summer of Ghosts
by P.D. Viner

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing........, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Summer of Ghosts (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I just did not know what to make of this book, so I have waited until another cou0ple of readers expressed their views. I found it very difficult to altogether follow shat was happening as apparently this is not the first novel featuring these characters. D.S Tom Bevin openly sheds tears over murder victims and prefers to inform the next of kin that their loved ones have been murdered rather than send a junior officer to do the job. Is this guy sick? He wallows in self pity over a lost love who it appeared did not love him at all, Bevin is a frightful anti-hero. No wonder his colleagues call him "Sad Man".There are constant references to things in the past which is rather annoying if we do not know what is going on. The other major character in the book is Franco, a crime boss, who cannot decide if he is a saint or a sinner. At the start of the book, or on the back cover, we are told that Franco has to listen to his daughter die. Why then, when we know it is going to happen, do we have to wait until half way through the book? Not a good move.
Over all it is an OK read, but I have read better and can do without getting involved in any series which might appear.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2014 7:14 PM BST

Philips Disney Princess Children's Night Light and Projector - 1 x 0.1 W Integrated LED

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant lamp..., 26 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really lovely gift for a little girl. My grand-daughter absolutely loves it. She just loves the projector and has had her bedroom blacked out so that she can see the lovely ladies. A really great buy. I would highly recommend it.

A Very Special Family Party
A Very Special Family Party
by Lindsay Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..., 26 July 2014
I expected it to be a larger format. It isn't, but it is still lovely. My grand-daughter will be over the moon with this. She attends lots of birthday parties, her daddy drives a bus, they have just got trams in town, and grandma always arrives by train. What more could she ask for.
A lovely little book that no child could resist.

Forgotten Men [DVD]
Forgotten Men [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not about VIPs, but about the ordinary Tommy., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Forgotten Men [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This remarkable documentary was made circa 1934. It describes and shows the wholesale carnage endured by man and beast during The Great War.. There are short commentaries by participants and very rare and supposedly previously unseen footage which warns the viewer of the even greater horrors of any forthcoming conflict!!! In 1934. were the makers anticipating WWII? (Marshal Foche described the cessation of hostilities in 1918 as a mere 20 year armistice. How right he was.)
The film is unique in that the footage shown is not only British, but also French, German, Italian and Russian.
Camera men then (were there ladies on the job? Probably not), were the start of a new breed who were not afraid to go with the troops right to the front lines where the action was at its most severe. Many over the years have paid the ultimate price for the sake of their craft.
There is an interesting commentary by historian Max Arthur in the "Extras".
All in all, history buffs and those of us who can relate to a horrible war in which our grandfathers took part, will find this well worth watching. Loved the bit about the KOSB (King's Own Scottish Borderers). I signed the petition to save them but sadly they are no more.

The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5)
The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5)
by Jane Casey

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks something..., 18 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am bewildered by this book. Had it not been that it had such glowing reviews, I would have discarded it anon. It was long and drawn out to the point of being boring. The characters were sulky and unpleasant and I did not warm to any of them.
I confess that this is my first Maeve Kerrigan adventure so perhaps that is the problem. I felt that the constant hints as to events past were annoying as I just did not know what was going on.
I have not been stimulated enough by this book to read the previous adventures of D.C. Kerrigan or her superiors Derwent and Godley.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2014 1:08 PM GMT

Blood in the Water: An Alice Rice Mystery: Book 1
Blood in the Water: An Alice Rice Mystery: Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was promising...., 24 Jun. 2014
The first in a series. It was helped for me as I know Edinburgh and could visualise the scenarios. Only problem was that the author is an advocate and the legal portions went on a bit to the point of boring, however, I have been inspired to read the next in the series.

Rules of Crime (A Detective Jackson Mystery)
Rules of Crime (A Detective Jackson Mystery)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing............, 14 Jun. 2014
A detective who has to take steroid, a transgender agent, a female agent who is a good man wasted, a neglected girlfriend, a sexy sister in law, a child who is old for her years, and an alcoholic ex-wife who has been kidnapped. After one hundred pages, you do not really care. This is a mish mash of a police investigation that does not really get anywhere fast and quite frankly since none of the characters are interesting, one does not really care. I was really let down by this book. The action just does not happen and as i said before, who cares.
There are much better novels on the market.

The Good Priest: A Father Vincent Ross Mystery (Father Vincent Ross Mystery 1)
The Good Priest: A Father Vincent Ross Mystery (Father Vincent Ross Mystery 1)
by Gillian Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars Super book.., 8 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The bodies are dropping like flies, but why?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book especially since the action takes place not far from here. I thought Father Ross was a convincing character and very human. I don't know anything about the Catholic church so I cannot pass comment on whether he was a stereotype or not. I just know that I liked him. There are lots of ladies names occur throughout and I did get a bit confused at times and could not always remember who they were but I got round that one.
I look forward to a sequel and have been inspired to read more of Ms Galbraith.
Well worth a read.