Profile for Robert Bird > Reviews

Content by Robert Bird

Robert Bird "kenilworthhammer" (Kenilworth, Warwickshire United Kingdom)

Wooden Arms
Wooden Arms
Offered by BARGAIN MUSIC SHOP
Price: 7.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Watson - weird and beguiling as ever?, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Wooden Arms (Audio CD)
With a kitchen sink of instruments, a smokey falsetto and lyrics whose focus is always wistful, Patrick Watson follows up their break through album with a second album that builds upon the brilliance of the former.

Always challenging this is another amazing record, that challenges and beguiles in equal measure.Is it something to make the cognoscente think? Unquestionably so ....

Close To Paradise
Close To Paradise
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 18 Jan 2008
This review is from: Close To Paradise (Audio CD)
Haven't stopped playing it since my sister recoomended it to me. The falsetto Buckleyesque element others have commented upon but its the strength of the songwriting, the depth of the arrangements and the confidence that shines through. PW has driven Band of Horses from my playlist and they were massive so big up to the voice of 2008

Extraordinary Machine
Extraordinary Machine
Price: 6.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 17 Jan 2006
This review is from: Extraordinary Machine (Audio CD)
As a Tori Amos fan I should allegedly by burned as a heretic. I see no ambiguity in liking both. I listened to Fiona only after Ex Machine came out and can only say that I was gobsmacked with what I heard - I can't stop playing O' Sailor and view it as an uplifting song of such power its hard to compartmentalise - <context> my brother committed suicide 2 years ago and the only song that did 4 me was "Babylon - David Gray" (although my initial thought was God bless you kid by Blue Nile but having heard Sailor, for me it has a wistful quality that summed up the feeling of loss)
Yes there is some bunnyboiling going on but the massive understatement in "one man dissapoint me" is priceless. She is without peer.