Profile for prawncracker > Reviews

Content by prawncracker

prawncracker (Glasgow)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kids in the Hall: Death Comes to Town [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Scott Thompson
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 20 Feb 2014
There were plenty of moments that made me laugh. I also squealed in a high-pitched way when Bellini appeared. I really enjoyed this. Can currently be heard singing "I've got a job to do .. huuuhhhh"

Best Foot Forward - A 500-Mile Walk Through Hidden France
Best Foot Forward - A 500-Mile Walk Through Hidden France

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 17 Sep 2012
My conclusion from reading this book is that I like Susie Kelly. I love that she challenged herself to this slightly mad adventure. The narrative of her tale is very, very enjoyable and I admit to being amused by her wine and cider consumption in that terrible leaky tent. I'll certainly read more. If I ever meet her I'd love to buy her a nice bottle of red and hear some more tales.

Slammed
Slammed
by Colleen Hoover

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice job!, 25 July 2012
This review is from: Slammed (Paperback)
I really liked this. A very appealing easy-to-read love story with good characterisation and emotional depth. Wasn't keen on the poetry but it didn't spoil the book. I recommend this as a good read for teens. There's just a tiny hint of sex but nothing too rude!

Lente Designs® Kindle Keyboard cover / case in 'Smithy Stripes' fabric
Lente Designs® Kindle Keyboard cover / case in 'Smithy Stripes' fabric

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, 18 Jun 2012
Love this case. And it arrived super quickly - the next day - with a little handwritten compliments slip. Very impressed!

Three Feet of Sky: Book One
Three Feet of Sky: Book One

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 18 Jun 2012
Since I got my Kindle I've suddenly discovered the world of self-published books. Of the ones I've read this is the best so far.

There are some truly honkingly badly written, badly plotted, derivative, self-published works out there that are tempting to buy because they're only 90p - so Three Feet of Sky stood out from the rest as being: very readable, really quite funny, very imaginative and for the most part a bit of a page-turner. I was hovering between 3 and 4 stars for this.

I disagree with the criticism given by a couple of other reviewers that the writing style is poor quality. Ayres writes with wit and confidence. He's no Chris Brookmyre but I wasn't at any point irritated by out-of-place or laboured vocabulary or overly elaborate writing style. I didn't particularly notice a writing style - which is a good sign as far as I'm concerned. The narrative flows simply and nicely and I didn't cringe (like I do when I read Dan Brown).

Where it fell below par for me was the "psychoviro" part of the story. There was too much of this and not enough exploring of the new world in which Adam finds himself. The violence didn't bother me, it was the lack of variety in the road the story took. I thought the idea of this 'afterlife' was very imaginative, but I thought that had the author chosen more varied means for the main character to escape the confines of this new life and explore the environment I think the book would have been a lot stronger. I also wanted more characters to empathise with. There weren't really any likeable characters in the book. I was also interested in finding out more about the company whose idea it was to create this afterlife and this was barely touched on - maybe in the next book.

I didn't love this book, it had a lot of flaws, but I did quite like it, and really think this author shows a lot of promise. I'll definitely check out the next instalment.

THE TROJAN BOY
THE TROJAN BOY

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 24 May 2012
This review is from: THE TROJAN BOY (Kindle Edition)
I got this book for a steal on a Kindle promotion (and may have enjoyed it more because of this!). I thought it was enjoyable, easy holiday reading with an interesting plot. Characterisation is a little limited but enough for you to empathise with the main character Avedissian. It is a little flawed in plot and sometimes clunky in passages, I cringed a few times. I feel a bit of judicious editing could have sorted that out.

It's not great writing but it's definitely compelling, and there are lots of twists and turns to keep you reading right to the end.

The promotional price did the trick and after this "taster" I'll certainly be buying a few more McClure book for my holidays.

[Incidentally, the kindle edition has a quite a few minor errors in it (missing quote marks, line breaks gone wrong, spaces missing between words etc) nothing serious, but the publisher might try to fix it for a new edition.]

The Art of Royal Icing: A Unique Guide to Cake Decoration by a World-class Tutor
by Eddie Spence

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 26 Oct 2011
I'm blown away by this book. All the years of experience of Eddie Spence collected in one beautifully put together book. It takes you from the very basics of how to make royal icing and some simple exercises you can do to develop your piping skills, to some majorly elaborate works of art.

So refreshing to see a book like this showing some good old-fashioned impeccable piping skills - so hard to attain and in danger of dying out with all the stencils and moulds that are available now.

Whoever edited this book also deserves an MBE, it really is first class.

Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
by Martha Swift

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a pretty face, 14 Sep 2011
I can see why this has had good reviews. I love the design and photos in this book. It's a pleasant read. Most folk buy recipe books and just enjoy the pictures. If that's what you want then go for it.

But the main recipe - the vanilla cupcake recipe - is not good. The cakes are hard and dry. I was making two batches of cupcakes for a party and followed the lengthy method to the letter.

It has less than half butter to flour, and a mixture of plain and SR flour. All my ingredients were at room temp to avoid curdling. I followed the convoluted method exactly. Straight out of the oven after 25 minutes at 160 fan setting they looked nice. I tore one open and it had a lovely fine-looking crumb but on tasting it was quite bland (floury) and a bit dry. I made a second batch adding extra vanilla to combat the blandness. By the next morning (about 10 hours later, kept in airtight container) I tasted one from second batch and they were really hard and dry (then another from first batch- hard and dry) and there was no way I was going to serve them up to the party guests they were planned for.

In a panic I used an all-in-one Victoria sponge recipe (God bless you, Mary Berry - you just bung everything in mixer at once) which saved the day. Ratio of butter, flour and sugar was the usual 1:1:1, bit of baking powder and a couple of large eggs. It gave a more 'homemade' looking crumb but the taste was far superior and the cakes softer and moister cooked at same temperature and time as specified in Primrose Bakery book.

I thought it was me till I read the other reviews by people who have actually baked from the book.

Have they scaled down a much larger catering size recipe and not checked it properly? Is there a missing secret ingredient that the bakery uses to make this bad recipe good? To me there seems to be too much flour to butter in this recipe.

I've got the 11th print of this book, and if it is a mistake I am very surprised they haven't fixed it by now.

I haven't tried the other variations of cake in the book yet. They might be all right, but I am a bit put off trying them.

The buttercream recipe has too much icing sugar in it for my taste. Ratio butter to icing sugar nearly 1:5.

The toppings ideas are appealing and I think I might use them as inspiration even if I don't use the actual sugar-heavy recipes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2011 12:38 PM BST

The International School of Sugarcraft 1: Beginners Bk.1
The International School of Sugarcraft 1: Beginners Bk.1
by Nicholas Lodge

3.0 out of 5 stars Livin' in the 80s ..., 26 July 2011
There's good sound advice and information in this book, but it is oh so dated if you are looking for design inspiration.

I use Nicholas Lodge's gum paste recipe to make sugar flowers. It really is great but the sugarcraft here is stuck in the 70s and 80s.

Lodge really knows his stuff but I really would love to see a new edition of this book and see his take on some contemporary design.

My Kitchen Table: 100 Cakes and Bakes
My Kitchen Table: 100 Cakes and Bakes
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb 2011
Mary Berry knows her stuff. The recipes work. Simple presentation. The "best shortbread recipe", is the best I've tasted. Great value little book which is going to be very very useful.
I'm not keen on small format recipe books (hard to keep open and flat as you work) but this series has such cracking content I'll overlook it.

Money well spent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2012 10:58 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3