Profile for Mr. G. MORRIS > Reviews

The New Eco Kettle - makes a great cuppa and saves energy and money
Offered by Nigel's Eco Store
Price: 34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfit for purpose and potentially dangerous., 13 July 2012
I've had 3 Eco Kettles. The first 2 failed within 12 months but I tried again with number 3 because it's a concept I wanted to support.
Last week Eco Kettle number 3 burst into flames... I think I'll call it a day now.

I emailed the manufacturer - including photo's - thinking they'd appreciate the feedback. They didn't bother to reply. If I were you, I'd give this flawed concept a miss.

Daewoo KOC9Q1TSL Combination Microwave Oven, 28 Litre, 900 Watt - Silver
Daewoo KOC9Q1TSL Combination Microwave Oven, 28 Litre, 900 Watt - Silver
Price: 95.08

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for grilling..., 19 Nov 2011
My Combi-Microwave recently died and I replaced it with this one. After a few days of use I sent it back.

For the money it's probably excellent value and if all you need is a microwave/oven, go for it.

If you need one that also has an effective grill, look elsewhere. Daewoo don't provide a long-leg rack and for good reason. The grill is hugely underpowered. I used the long-leg rack from my old Microwave with very disappointing results.

(I replaced it with the Sharp R959SLMA which is all round excellent)

And Another Thing ... Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Part Six of Three
by Eoin Colfer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch..., 20 Oct 2009
What a tough act to follow...
Sincerely no disrespect to the Eoin Colfer, but... for me, this book falls well short of any resemblance to the the brevity, thoughtfulness, wit and imaginative science conveyed in Douglas Adam's writings. I'm really sad to say I found it disappointing and unimaginative in comparison. Boring would be too strong a word perhaps, but this book didn't hold my attention. It demonstrated little in the way of surprises, humour, creativity and suspension of disbelief, despite it having the advantage of being written 30 years on and with so much richness of history, technological development and humanism to draw upon.

Having said that, I'd love to see the series live on and to read more. Perhaps each future book from a different author - we could pretend each future book being sent by Douglas from an improbable parallel universe from where he continues to lives on... but where his words get a bit muddled in the transition into the mind of an author here on our Earth... Let's not kid ourselves, the likes of Adams are few and far between...

Long live the books of Douglas Adams. Long live his life (in a froody way).

Eco Cordless Jug Kettle, White 3000W
Eco Cordless Jug Kettle, White 3000W

4.0 out of 5 stars Eco Kettle, 24 July 2008
Been using one of these beauties for a few weeks now. I hesitated initially due to some of the negative comments here.
The Eco Kettle boils quickly and quietly and generally speaking I'm very pleased with it. It's great to see a manufacturer providing a product like this. It's a wonder there aren't more Eco products of this quality.

- Some of the comments have been along the lines of "too heavy". Well, check the 'packaged weight' description of the other kettles on Amazon, the top two best-sellers are heavier than the Eco. In daily use, perhaps yes, a little heavier than a non-Eco, but that's accounted for by the additional volume of water contained but not boiled. Potentially 1.5 litres.
- "Spits out boiling water" Well... yes, it can and it does. Very rarely. It seems to me that when using a non-Eco kettle, the usual routine is to wander off whilst it boils, returning to a cooling kettle. The temptation with the Eco is to wait for it to boil as it does so very quickly. On pouring the water if a small amount of water is unused it naturally falls back onto the (still very hot) heating plate in the boiling chamber and occasionally 'spits'. It's not a big problem, I experience it very rarely and can live with it quite happily. It's an area the manufacturer might want to address, but it's no deal breaker...

How well it performs long-term..? Time will tell!

So... 10/10 for effort. 8/10 for design.

Sony DCR-HC35 Handycam Mini DV camcorder [ Carl Zeiss, 20 x optical, 2.5" screen, DV in]

4.0 out of 5 stars ...but no cigar., 20 July 2006
I'd read all these reviews and decided that yes, it sounded good, I'd take the plunge into video. I knew nothing about MiniDV or any other video formats come to that, but decided to have a go...

And having used it for about 2 weeks...

It's an amazing amount of technology for comparatively very little money. It will give you hours of memories simply due to its ease of use. Just over 200 barely gets you half-decent digital camera, let alone a camcorder. An excellent starting point for the likes of me, an innocent in the world of digital video.

PROS.

. Very easy to use. Very decent results.

. Video quality viewed through the tv when connected to the supplied 'Handycam station' using the supplied cable/scart adapter is very good. And the supplied remote control comes in useful here too.

. Good sound quality.

. Well designed and well thought-out throughout.

. x20 optical zoom is plenty, but also has an x800 digital zoom for filming moon landings and the like...

Along with the camcorder I bought a Hama Star 8 Monopod which is quick and easy to use, great for reducing camera shake generally and especially when using the zoom (the heavier the monopod the better, this camcorder is very small and very light).

The DCRHC35 is an amazing piece of kit for the money but it's not without its shortcomings.

How well or badly the Sony DCRHC35 fares in comparison to other camcorders on the market, I couldn't say. You get what you pay for?

CONS.

. Supplied software is not good. Very basic.

. Supplied user manual is not very detailed in some areas e.g. on transferring video to your pc. It suggests that using the supplied USB cable is a good way of doing this but fails to detail the very poor quality of video you'll end up with.

. No Firewire cable is supplied. You'll need one of these and also a Firewire port in your pc if you want to transfer video to your pc at best quality for editing.

. Firewire transferred video quality does deteriorate when saved as mpeg2 on a pc (This applies to all video format conversions regardless of thier source). Saving it as an AVI apparently results in no loss of original quality but very big sized video files, a consideration if you're thinking about later recording your footage to dvd.

. The normally very crisp and clear LCD screen is difficult to see in very bright sunlight.

. No Mini DV tape supplied. Buy a five-pack at the same time. And buy some bigger batteries... (shop around).

And be prepared for quite another learning experience once you start to get into editing your footage! I bought a copy of Sony Vegas Movie Studio video editing software and found it far too complicated. If you're new to it all like me, read software reviews and go for the one that says it's the most 'beginner friendly'. It'll probably have the same basic way of editing your footage as the more complicated programs, so later if you decide to 'upgrade' to a another program you won't find it such a culture shock! You possibly don't need to go any expense at all though (he said with hindsight...), Windows XP comes with built-in video editing software, Windows Movie Maker, which is perfectly adequate for knocking something half-decent together and it recognised the DCRHC35 and imported the video without any trouble.

Ravenhall
Ravenhall
by Peter McFarlane
Price: 8.48

5.0 out of 5 stars More please !, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: Ravenhall (Paperback)
Peter McFarlane you hero! This book has been enjoyed by so many children (and their parents!) over recent weeks, you've quite a fanclub! I hope we're all soon able to enjoy a sequel?

The adventures of Finn and Erin enthralled us all! A delightful adventure for all ages. Highly recommended!