Profile for Mr. Trench > Reviews

Content by Mr. Trench

Mr. Trench "Mr. Trench" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
To Be Kind (Bonus One DVD)
To Be Kind (Bonus One DVD)
Price: 19.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 17 Jun 2014
This is the first Swans album I have heard - God knows how I managed to miss them so far. I'm going to write a review assuming that like me you don't know their music.

It sounds to me similar to Beak and also has hints of the Doors at time. If pushed further I'd say it is medium paced and strikes a similar melancholy in me to The Cure's 17 Seconds. Also a touch of Can in there. Not saying it is derivative - it has its own sound.

The songs generally have a dirge in the background (single repeated phrase), nice use of alternative percussion (the first track sounds like someone hitting an empty cooking pot), vocals typically hypnotically chanted, with synth sounds on top to add variation and interest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 12:45 PM BST

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Rambling and one dimensional, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Freedom (Paperback)
I really don't know how a book this poor got past both the editor's scissors and the publisher's quality assurance checks. It is very poor and very very long.

The characters are not well developed - Franzen simply tells us in the narrative what they are like, then doesn't bother to show us that by their actions or speech. All the characters therefore seem like one homogenised personality. I got the impression that they are all Franzen himself - he was simply telling us about all the things that he has done and he likes in a rather contrived manner.

Similarly the prose is uniformly dull. Franzen has adopted a light-hearted style which I imagine he thinks is amusing. It isn't though, it just comes across to me as smug. He tries to mix it up by including excerpts from one of the main character's diary. However he then adopts exactly the same style for these sections!

The book is about twice the size it should be and for no good reason. The plot goes into pointless cul de sacs with characters that really go nowhere - an example being the section that focuses on semi-formed unimportant characters making fudge and toffee at Christmas. Any decent editor would have removed the entire chapter - again I imagined that this is something that Franzen had done in his childhood and felt compelled to tell us about it even though it is irrelevant.

I really did read all of this - I hate not finishing something I start. However I would recommend that you don't waste your time on it.

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
by John Edward Williams
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful prose - this book will stay with me., 7 Jun 2014
There are many reviews here focusing on the simplicity of the prose - not once word is superfluous. The style suits the subject perfectly. Many here have also mentioned the plot and the integrity and quiet life led by Stoner. They are all correct - this is a wonderful novel.

I would like to mention three other aspects that have not been so thoroughly covered:

1. This is a melancholy book. If it were a Rothko it would be light cream on white. I also think it is an existentialist book. Bad things happen to Stoner that appear to be within his control but he takes no action and lets them happen anyway. Several times within the novel characters conclude that major events 'do not matter' or have no import, when clearly the opposite is true. In this sense, I think it is very much like Camus' 'The Outsider'. And without exaggeration I believe Williams's novel is every bit as good as 'The Outsider'.

2. There is a sad beauty in the spaces within the story. Important background events explaining unusual behaviour are only hinted at. An example of this is the behaviour Stoner's wife when her father dies. I will not spoil the story by revealing any more but I will say that suddenly for me her character was fully rounded. There is a strong hint that she herself was subject to a specific trauma during childhood.

3. The narrative is told in the third person, and whilst this should give us some distance it does not. One of the ways Williams achieves this is by delineating moods as they appear to Stoner, even though they turn out to be incorrect. For example, at one stage Stoner has an affair. Throughout the build up to the affair we are led to believe that his lover is angry or indifferent to him; he later discovers this was never the case.

In conclusion, this really is, without exaggeration, a masterpiece. It is right up there with the best novels I have ever read.

Homcom Out Sunny Garden Metal Firepit Fire Pit Brazier Square Table Patio Heater Stove
Offered by MHSTAR
Price: 84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Used 4 times already and very pleased with performance, 8 May 2014
We especially like that the sides do not get hot so no worries about burnt fingers etc. The fire burns well and we have also used as a BBQ by putting a wire rack over the top.

Squirrel Buster Mini Bird Feeder
Squirrel Buster Mini Bird Feeder
Price: 18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, 8 Mar 2013
Satisfyingly robust and well made. No problems with squirrels who are now ignoring it which is wonderful as previously they ate through my plastic bird feeders & left them smashed on the ground. strongly recommended.

Fellowes Wrist Rest, Sapphire (98737)
Fellowes Wrist Rest, Sapphire (98737)

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange smell, 25 Mar 2012
Comfortable and I have no issues with this wrist rest except it has a very strange odour rather like damp gym kit???

Dualit 47180 4 Slice NewGen Toaster Polished Stainless Steel
Dualit 47180 4 Slice NewGen Toaster Polished Stainless Steel
Offered by Electro World
Price: 189.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy from Electro World, 9 Mar 2012
Duallit make good toasters. I have had one for years. I loved it so much that when my daughter moved into a new house we bought her one from Amazon as a moving in present. BIG mistake. Arrived with the box torn open and held together with sellotape. Despite all my efforts (I am a level headed, middle class polite person), Electro World refused to refund the postage and would not tell me how to return the item. I emailed about five times asking for this and they just kept making excuses like "it is our policy to open boxes and sellotape them back in case they open in transit".

So, by all means buy a Duallit toaster, but do not buy it from Amazon if the supplier is Electro World.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2012 7:51 PM GMT

Periodic Table of the Elements White Scientific Chart Poster Print - 44x61 cm
Periodic Table of the Elements White Scientific Chart Poster Print - 44x61 cm

1.0 out of 5 stars Very very poor quality, 29 Feb 2012
BEWARE! This so-called poster is printed on the cheapest imaginable low-quality paper. Further, the black-ink cartridge on their printer was obviously low when mine was produced - as it is patchy and pale.

How do these people have the bare-faced cheek to sell something so obviously cheap and nasty for 4.00 plus 4.00 postage? Actual postage cost to them was USD 2.00. I feel ripped off and cheapened by my experience.

Total Pop
Total Pop
Price: 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Moi, je joue is not on this album, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Total Pop (Audio CD)
Like another reviewer on here, I bought this CD for the song "Moi, je joue" having heard it on an advert. However the track is not on the album even though it says it is on the cover.

In fact you can get this track on Stereo-Total's album 'Oh Ah' or the better original sung by Brigitte Bardot on "Best of Bardot" -

Dekalog: Parts 6-10 [DVD]
Dekalog: Parts 6-10 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jerzy Stuhr
Offered by Side Two
Price: 15.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dekalog: Parts 6-10 [DVD] (DVD)
See my review of part 1. The only criticism I have is of the marketing - why not sell 1 and 2 together? Nevertheless, the work is beyond superlative.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4