Profile for robert Evans > Reviews

robert Evans

Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars A risk well worth taking, 21 Jun. 2012
Wanting to do the Land's End to John O'Groats (LEJOG) bike ride I looked to the internet for advice and found a website all about George and Ben, two guys who had decided to do the trip in a pretty special way. Starting with nothing but a pair of boxer shorts (each) they did the whole trip relying entirely on the kindness and donations of the people they met. It sounded like the idea of a genius or an idiot so when I found out that one of them had written a book about the whole trip I thought I'd give it a go.

I didn't expect much from the book as doing a trip is one thing, but writing about it takes a different kind of skill and a different kind of stamina. However, I reckon Mr Mahood has cracked it. The book is funny, totally engrossing and actually quite moving. There's just something simple and direct about the writing that brings the trip back to life right there in front of you. Maybe it's the sheer riskiness of having to ask complete strangers for food, accommodation, clothes and even bikes that pulls you in. It's hard enough to ask for anything nowadays in our ordered, atomised, urban lives, but these two succeed in pulling out not only the generosity of the people they meet, but sometimes the most bizarre and interesting stories.

When you finish it you will want to do the whole trip yourself. I know I do.