Profile for White Rose > Reviews

Content by White Rose

White Rose "White Rose" (Isle of Wight, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
The Greatest Hits
The Greatest Hits
Offered by Just4-U-Media

5.0 out of 5 stars one stop Bonnie Tyler, 26 July 2014
This review is from: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
magical set of hits. Discover all the sides to Bonny Tyler with this wonderful far ranging CD

The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne Novels Book 11)
The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne Novels Book 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for all Tom Thorne fans, 26 July 2014
I have to admit to being an out and out Tom Thorne fan, he is everything you want in a lead character, down to earth, ordinary, firmly rooted in his area and looking on all others with suspicion (as all of us who live on the north side of the river...) and yet with the ability to eventually see through the morass of clues and solve the crime, even if he can't solve his own life problems.
Mark Billingham has turned in another first class thriller with a cliff hanger ending, very unfair!!!!

Earth Abides (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Earth Abides (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by George R. Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 26 July 2014
this book was recommended to me. Normally when someone recommends a book I end up hating it, but not this one. I was slowly drawn into the strange world of Ish, the post holocaust scenario so carefully worked out, backed up with mini lectures on why this or that broke down, all so obvious that it should be a warning to all that it could happen to us at any time.
Ish is a hero with flaws, many of them, an ordinary man thrust into an extraordinary situation. A book everyone should read.

Fevre Dream (Fantasy Masterworks 13)
Fevre Dream (Fantasy Masterworks 13)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding vampire story, 26 July 2014
I have just finished reading this book for the third time. I found I was drawn back into Abner Marsh's strange vampirish world and the technicalities of the steamboats just as fast and as completely as I was the first time. Here are vampires who are more like real people, with flaws, with desires and dreams, with power and needs like anyone else, living at a time when steamboats plied the great American rivers and competition was fierce for both passengers and freight. A book rich in detail and in characters.

PASKAGANKEE (A Paskagankee Novel Book 1)
PASKAGANKEE (A Paskagankee Novel Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good horror read, 26 July 2014
I loved Mr Midnight. This isn't as good, but an easy horror read for all that, by which I mean Mr Leverone knows how to write (for a change) and the story moved along really well. Enough gore and shredded bodies to keep any splatterpunk fan happy!

Body-Tec Medical Grade Thumb Splint / Support /Brace All Sizes Available NHS use
Offered by pro-active

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable help for an arthritic joint., 26 July 2014
Very good item, I read the reviews before buying and as more said it was good than bad, I thought I would take a chance. My right thumb is giving me a lot of problems (arthritis) and I found wearing this all day in the shop, where I am handling so many different things all the time, gave the joint stability and took away the perpetual ache that had been there. It won't take away the sharp pain if I push too hard or lift too much (that's my fault!) but for the 'ordinary' day to day things it is exceptional in its support and comfort of wearing. I am typing this with no appreciable difference in my skills despite wearing it.
I will definitely buy another one when this one wears out.

Journey Into the Flame: Book One of the Rising World Trilogy
Journey Into the Flame: Book One of the Rising World Trilogy

1.0 out of 5 stars gave up on this, 25 Jun 2014
not much to say, writing was bland and didn't hold my attention in any way.
Really not intending to say much as I didn't read much, I think that says it all.

The Hitch-Hicker
The Hitch-Hicker
by Meg Hutchinson Writing as Margaret Astbury

2.0 out of 5 stars trying too hard to be different from her alter ego, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Hitch-Hicker (Hardcover)
I am having a bad run of unreadable books lately, this is the latest one.
Ms Astbury is hung up on two word, arse and fart. She uses it like commas throughout this clichéd piece of nonsense, the police officer, bitter, living on indigestion tablets (ad nauseum, she insists he has them every few minutes, sometimes to the detriment of the sentence when he is doing two things at once, opening the packet and putting one in his mouth simultaneously) and determined to get the Big Break. His arse is on the line all the time, as is every person he comes into contact with. It is used in dialogue and in narrative. It is used endlessly.
Fart is her other favourite word.

This ruined the book, along with the overall casual 'no attention to grammar or storyline' attitude that pervades this story. It is obvious she is trying not to be Goody Two Shoes, to escape the family sagas but it has gone too far the other way. It's gone straight into Martina Cole territory and I once saw 95 reviews of one of her books, all slating it.
Ms Hutchinson, beware. You will lose 'fans' with stories like this. I got to the middle of the book and couldn't stand it any longer.

Both names are on the cover. Meg Hutchinson's nice family sagas is now irrevocably linked with a book that was bad in concept, worse in reality and endlessly dull with arses and farts. I've used the words a mere fraction of the times she did on one page.

I'm looking for a decent read. So many books don't live up to their hype in any way, shape or form. This is just another of them.

For the record, I am both writer and editor. I know good writing when I see it and I know bad writing when I see it, too. I sincerely believe the 'mainstream' publishers have dismissed their editors and are putting these badly written books straight into print. If so, heaven help us, there will be no decent reading ever again, outside of the truly talented ones like Stephen King, Mark Billingham and Lee Child. Come to think of it, the last Reacher book didn't do too well in the reviews, either...

The Very Best of The Doors
The Very Best of The Doors

5.0 out of 5 stars always room in life for The Doors, 21 Jun 2014
wonderful balanced collection of their greatest work. It doesn't date.
Listen to the rhythms on my all time favourite, Riders On The Storm (I am a horror writer, who cannot be inspired with lyrics like that???) and know that the brooding enigmatic talented Jim Morrison gives a class performance, as always.
Great collection.

Mr. Midnight
Mr. Midnight

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting gory read, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Mr. Midnight (Kindle Edition)
Having dropped three books in a row as not worth my reading time, I hoped for Good Things from Mr Midnight and Allan Leverone did not let me down. I am surprised and pleased to be able to give this exciting book a five star review.
The dark and the light, the twins separated at birth, the one in danger from the other should they meet - and of course they are destined to, about wraps up the storyline but - the twists in this, the horror of the murders (best I have read in a long time and I've read a lot of horror...) and the twist at the end makes this a book for every horror/crime lover. I am going to check out more books by Mr Leverone, he has one very nasty imagination and that puts him high on my list of 'must read' authors.
Outside of Stephen King, I've not said that about anyone for the past few years!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18