Profile for Dougal > Reviews

Content by Dougal

Dougal

Vaughan Williams: Symphonies Nos. 6 & 8; Nocturne [Hybrid SACD]
Vaughan Williams: Symphonies Nos. 6 & 8; Nocturne [Hybrid SACD]

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the worst modern recording in my collection, 31 Mar. 2015
This is the worst modern recording in my collection, Boult's 1950's recording sounds much more vibrant & more realistic than this. The sound is so limited that I cannot judge the performance:

1. There is no bass.
2. It sounds as if it was recorded in a bath tub & you are listening down a mile long drainpipe.
3. The SACD layer is @ a reduced average level, as it should due to the wider dynamic range capability, but peaks never reach anywhere near 0dB on my equipment.

I have heard this symphony performed live a number of times by different orchestras & I know what it should sound like. If you would like a realistic impression of this amazing symphony, my 1st choice is Andrew Davis, also Handley + the 2 Boult recordings.

Chandos recordings can be state of the art eg Carmina Burana (Hickox), but all of the Chandos Vaughan Williams symphonies recordings seem to be similarly afflicted.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value for Money, 9 Mar. 2013
This is an amazing product for the money & is much better than I expected:

1. Plays my 320k mp3 USBs faultlessly - this alone makes the price amazing !
2. The best portable spkr I have bought - much louder than simpler competition.
3. Very good sound quality for the money.
4. FM radio works perfectly in my area.
5. Even has a remote !

I bought this to take to festivals (camping) & it would be perfect for this - but I would hate it to be stolen so I will probably leave it at home - no I will buy another one !

Roberts Stream 83i Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with 3 Way Speaker System
Roberts Stream 83i Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with 3 Way Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Experiences after a few weeks ownership, 11 Feb. 2012
Here are my experiences following a few weeks ownership:
1. FM reception with my sample is perfect & gives the best sound quality. This is not surprising as I live in an area with good signal strength.
2. DAB sound quality is the worst, the MP2 codec UK DAB uses is very crude & gives a rough coarse sound - useless for classical music. Due to the heavy compression MP2 uses this gives the loudest average sound (everything is at a similar average level) & a false impression that this is best to the untrained ear.
3. Internet radio works well & the overall sound is very good. However, on start up the radio can be painfuly slow to start playing an internet station.
4. I am not sure that the supplied PSU is more than just adequate; it can provide a claimed 18 watts, the internal amplifiers give 8.2 watts output & overall the radio is probably ~ 50% efficient. Listening to some bass heavy music I heard what sounded like amplifier clipping distortion. I tried my laptop 12v 60watt PSU - the sound is transformed - much better bass & overall clarity (not recommended if your radio is under warranty !)

Overall I am very happy with the product - especially the rich euphonic sound quality from what is a quite compact package. Personally, I really like the 'retro' styling, it gives the radio a quality feel.

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Sound, 28 Nov. 2011
These are a bargain for the money. The bass is not only deep & powerful but also extremely tuneful - I never believed such sound was possible from any headphones ! This massive underpinning gives a sense of awe to big Mahler symphonies, rock/metal, drum&bass alike. Whilst the higher frquencies sound a little coarse from new, this improves once they are 'run in'. These really are the best in-ear headphones I have heard regardless of price.

Helplessness Blues
Helplessness Blues

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Sound Quality, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Helplessness Blues (Audio CD)
This album sounds as if it was recorded as a cheesy 64k MP3 file on a toy laptop. The mastering takes 'lo-fi' to the lowest depths; they have achieved the worst of both worlds - the band sounds muddy yet Pecknold's vocals sound like you are listening through a mile long metal drainpipe. Their last album was marred by excessive reverberation & compression, this one is far worse.

Robin Pecknold is undeniably a very talented guy, as witnessed by the mesmerising live performance of 'Grown Ocean' on Jools Holland's BBC show. Problem is that this, the last track on the CD, sounds truly dreadful.

What is the point in using beautiful vocal harmonies, playing a variety of acoustic instruments, only to distort it beyond comprehension in a sea of electronic compression, reverberation, equalisation - ultimately gross distortion. I cannot understand how this album was allowed to be released as it stands...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2011 12:39 AM BST

Organ Fireworks Vol.13
Organ Fireworks Vol.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Vaughan Williams, 16 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Organ Fireworks Vol.13 (Audio CD)
Whilst I see the other reviewer's point, there are some rare gems on this disc. For example the powerful, rarely heard, Vaughan Williams - Prelude & Fugue in C minor (track 20). This track sounds simply awesome on a large hi fi system...