Profile for Artie Fufkin > Reviews

Artie Fufkin (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Eastpak Messenger Bag Delegate - 20 Liters - Black
Eastpak Messenger Bag Delegate - 20 Liters - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A long-term user's summary: 5* quality but some design issues, 12 Sept. 2014
I've had an Eastpak Delegate for around eight years now, and it's had plenty of use. Nothing has broken - zips, pockets, strap - all still in great condition; it really looks just a few months old. The cordura construction is great (and it's shower-proof).
In time though, I've come to find the design a little lacking.
My main issues are with the strap. I've found no use for it being removable; the swivel clip just seems over-designed, a potential weak point, and yes, it can squeak. The fixed padding is annoying - I sometimes cycle with this bag and the strap can't be adjusted to be short enough to have the padding in the right place. There are times when I've been carrying a lot and the padding (and expansion option) has been welcome, but here's the bottom line: carrying a heavy messenger bag is a posture killer! For regular use I've reverted to a backpack (Eastpak Floyd FWIW - not huge, but almost perfect). For an occasional messenger bag, I've found another brand and bought (in the same price range) one that has more padding, more pockets, and a simple fixed strap.
Final point: 20 litres? Mine wasn't labelled as such when I bought it. I measure it at 37cm x 30cm x 10cm (Eastpak's measurements are about the same). Come on, we're not stupid, that's about 11 litres.

Wonders of Life
Wonders of Life

3.0 out of 5 stars A great read, unimpressed with kindle format., 18 July 2014
This review is from: Wonders of Life (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable and enlightening book for the lay-person. 5 stars for the content.
I read it using the Kindle app on a 7-inch Nexus tablet. My main issues are as follows:

1) YOU CAN'T READ THE DIAGRAMS. There's no option to zoom in. My eyesight is fine, by the way! I want to remember this information, but I feel the chance of that has been lessened. I see now on the listing that "This title has complex layouts and has been optimised for reading on devices with larger screens." Well, having installed the kindle desktop app, and viewed full screen on my monitor - larger than any tablet - some of the diagrams have text that's about 1mm tall. Enough said?

2) There are several errors; I assume in the conversion to e-book: "1" in place of "I", more than once. 10 to the power of 30 shown as "1030". 13.75 appears as "13-75" (i.e. "The universe was formed 13-75 billion years ago"). Does no-one proofread these things?

Come on Amazon, sort it out.

The Complete Rainbow Orchid (The Rainbow Orchid)
The Complete Rainbow Orchid (The Rainbow Orchid)
by Garen Ewing

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 27 July 2013
I'm just going to echo the 5-star reviews already posted. This is a great read - a real page-turner of an adventure, with excellent artwork. More please, Mr Ewing - and more Evelyn Crow (*sigh*).

Blake & Mortimer Vol.6: SOS Meteors (Adventures of Blake & Mortimer)
Blake & Mortimer Vol.6: SOS Meteors (Adventures of Blake & Mortimer)
by Edgar P. Jacobs

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels dated, 27 July 2013
OK, I don't like to be harsh about something written 55 years ago, but having read a few of the Blake & Mortimer books I found this one to be a little light on plot. There's a whole load of chasing, hiding, escaping and getting lost, but not a lot happens until towards the end (maybe I'm seeing a trend here). I can only assume that's due to it originally being published as a weekly serial... The artwork is great, and there's a good atmosphere to it, but (as usual) the top-of-frame text boxes tend to detract from the flow. Compared to Tintin books from the same era, which are timeless, this definitely feels like it's from the 1950s.

Prometheus [DVD] [2012]
Prometheus [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this film! Save yourselves!, 1 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Prometheus [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
What a waste. What a mess. Was this film written by a team of monkeys, or perhaps edited by one? All the visual effects and philosophical ponderings can't save it when the characterisation is this weak. Who are these people, why are they doing what they're doing, and why should I care? I saw this at the cinema in a group comprised of sci-fi buffs, general film fans, and people who hadn't even seen Alien/Aliens. None of us came out impressed. I'm just trying to warn you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2012 6:31 PM GMT

Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black
Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black
Offered by Mirko Dornfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, great price, 13 Jun. 2012
These are well worth the money (EDIT: price fluctuates, I paid about £10). I've had £50-60 Shures and £20-30 Sennheisers, and these stack up pretty well for the price. Stick a trendy name and bright colours on them and you'd easily pay double. They kick out plenty of bass (perhaps at the expense of some top end) - I've actually noticed the basslines on a couple of songs that I hadn't before. I don't know what the 1-star reviewer had in his/her ears, these earphones are in no way tinny. Also, in my experience earphone cables have a lifespan of about 18 months with regular but careful use - so I know how much I'd rather be shelling out.
* UPDATE *
OK, I got about 15 months life out of the cable on these before the sound starting dropping out in one ear. Happily bought another pair, and recommended them to a colleague.

Philips DS3020/05 Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone - White
Philips DS3020/05 Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone - White

3.0 out of 5 stars TOO MUCH BASS!, 21 May 2012
For many, lots of bass and lots of volume make this an ideal speaker dock. If you want to fill big rooms with booming dance music, go for it - and yes, I'm aware of how old that sentence might make me appear! Unfortunately, the sound quality is not accurate; there's way too much boost in the mid-low range. Even with the iPod's EQ set to bass reducer or treble booster, I couldn't get away from that sea of sludge. Spoken word material boomed out, sounding unnatural - and that was with the volume on 10-15%. Music I've known for many years, and have heard on various systems, just sounded... wrong. I wasn't expecting audiophile quality at this price, just clarity. After a few days, I returned it to the store for a refund.

A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates
A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates
by Rand Corporation Rand Corporation

4.0 out of 5 stars A blessing or a curse?, 11 May 2011
This has become my kids' number one bedtime storybook! I'd heard it was a bestseller in the USA, and I can see why. At first glance I thought it might be a bit dark for them (SPOILER: contains some fairly graphic descriptions of mutilation, deviant sexual practices, and show jumping) but they've loved it. Every night they demand a favourite part, and join in with funny voices I'm obliged to use. This has been going on for almost 18 months now, and it's driving me a little crazy. My wife's concern is that we're never going to get around to reading them the other classics on our bookshelf (Aleister Crowley, Marquis de Sade, Mein Kampf etc) that are essential to a balanced upbringing. So I say thank you, Normal Deviates, for an addictive read, but also damn you!!

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Is the glass half-full or half-empty?, 16 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Paul Ross knows, but he isn't telling - he wants us to find out for ourselves. Look into his eyes. Even through the medium of a printed canvas, his warmth, wisdom and humanity shine. Many reviewers here have questioned whether this print is large enough to do the great man justice. Nietzsche wrote: "The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly". So I think the answer is... yes. I mean, no. Hmm, yes. Oh, no. Wait... which one's "no"?

A Bit Of Fry & Laurie - Series 4 [DVD] [1989]
A Bit Of Fry & Laurie - Series 4 [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Stephen Fry
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 9 Sept. 2008
Sorry chaps. I love you dearly, but this just doesn't cut the mustard. Series 2 and 3, though obviously a little dated, still have some great moments; but this was weak at the time and still is.

Page: 1 | 2