Profile for Jonny C > Reviews

Content by Jonny C

Jonny C (Ipswich, England)

Ascaso DR.14UK Dream Versatile Coffee Machine, Love Red
Ascaso DR.14UK Dream Versatile Coffee Machine, Love Red

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but has its faults (poor components) and needs coninual descaling., 2 May 2014
I bought this machine (not from Amazon) to replace my Gaggia Classic, which lasted me around 10 years. After much deliberation I went for this machine as I had watched videos on YouTube and it looked like it made a great cappuccino and a great espresso with good crema. This was very true for the first 12 months. However, after around 14 months the thermometer stopped working - this is apparently a common fault as the service dept in the UK said "most people just use the machine without the thermometer". It would have cost me £60 to get it repaired (£20 postage there and back plus £40 part)
I used the free Ascaso descaler after around 9 months use. However, I now have to descale the machine around every 3 weeks as the water simply stops coming through the filter. The steam wand never gets clogged. I think I cleaned my Gaggia (not as much as I should) around once or twice per year.
The steamwand is a job in itself. It works but I have to turn it on for the "first blast" then after about 10s it has the power of someone blowing wind. However, after a 30s wait it does work. Since writing my initial review this now drips continually and the gasket looks like it needs replacing as it drips when I attach the filter head and make a coffee.
Ascaso refuse to help me. The original retailer went bust and the new retailer won't uphold the warranty and neither do Ascaso to add insult to injury.
So my advice is if you don't mind a £500 machine with a pathetic thermometer that looks great but is very temperamental, but when working makes a great coffee buy this.
However, when this machine does eventually die I won't be going for this brand ever again. I will try a Rancillio or La Pavoni.

Urnex Cafiza Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets, Pack of 100
Urnex Cafiza Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets, Pack of 100
Offered by Cleanbean

2.0 out of 5 stars No instructions and does it clean only and/or descale?, 18 Nov. 2013
I imagined this product would descale my machine along with cleaning it. There are no instructions so I wasn't sure how many tablets to use. The tablet dissolved very slowly - in fact I ended up crushing it in the water reservoir. A week later my coffee machine was clogged up and I used 2 tablets. However, I had to use a descaler to get it working again.
I took the filter head apart and coffee residue was present. So even if it wasn't descaling it didn't clean either.
What is the difference between a cleaner and descaler? As I say, instructions and more info would help. I have since found instructions on the internet...but I'm not convinced this actually cleans very well unless it is used very regularly before coffee can build up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 3:17 PM BST

Belkin Reading Light for Kindle, White
Belkin Reading Light for Kindle, White

3.0 out of 5 stars Designed for previous version of Kindle, 3 Jan. 2012
I was bought this as a gift and unfortunately went ahead and opened the package as it said on the front cover that it is suitable for the Kindle. However, as other reviews have pointed out it is fine if you use with a cover. As my Kindle slides out of the cover I was given the clip does not work on the latest version of Kindle. I therefore presume this was made for the older version. It needs to specify what version it is suitable for. For example if you buy a docking station for an ipod it tells you which generation of ipod it is compaticble with. Disappointing.

The Sensational Liquid: A Guide to Wine Tasting
The Sensational Liquid: A Guide to Wine Tasting
by Malcolm Gluck

4.0 out of 5 stars In depth approach and thoughts on wine tasting., 13 Dec. 1999
A book on wine for the more curious amongst us about the different aspects of wine tasting. Malcolm Gluck is quite outspoken about his beliefs and not afraid to share them with the reader. He makes the case on the rights and wrongs about corks and the alternatives. His views on wine and how it should be available to everyone and not just elitists is refreshing and encouraging for the curious amongst us who would like to delve into trying wine more often. I feel this book is more for for the person who has some knowledge rather than none. However, with a little pratice I'm sure the book would be very useful to the beginner. A very interesting read and different to many wine books currently on the market.