Profile for DJSB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Turtle Beach XO Four Stealth Stereo Gaming Headset - Xbox One
Turtle Beach XO Four Stealth Stereo Gaming Headset - Xbox One

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Good., 24 Aug. 2015
After using Turtle Beach products on my Xbox 360 for a long time, once I stepped up to the One I was eager to see what they could offer in terms of headsets for the new console.

My requirements for a gaming headset are pretty rigid; comfortable, reliable, good sound and perhaps the most important thing, mic monitoring. I play in a very quiet environment so I need to hear myself when I talk into the mic. This prevents unintentional shouting which I'm sure my neighbours appreciate.

I'm pleased to say that the XO FOUR Stealth achieves all of these requirements easily.

The supplied headset connector plugs straight into the controller, and the headset into that. Once connected (perhaps after a firmware update for your controller - Turtle Beach include a lead with the headset for this purpose) and in use the audio is crisp, clear with good bass and a wide soundstage, meaning you can still tell from which direction your enemies are approaching. I found the mic monitoring feature also works well, as expected, and my gaming friends reported that my voice is crystal clear using the headset, with no distortion even when I get angry at being spawn killed by a 9 year old....that sort of thing. When listening to music the headset also does well, no problems.

So, if you're looking for an excellent gaming headset for your Xbox One with some great features and above all great sound, this is the one.

AmazonBasics Everyday Duvet Set with 2 Pillowcases, Double - Dark Green
AmazonBasics Everyday Duvet Set with 2 Pillowcases, Double - Dark Green

5.0 out of 5 stars More brilliance from Basics..., 23 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've mentioned before in my reviews that there's nothing especially basic about the really rather brilliant AmazonBasics range of products. And this duvet cover and pillowcase set is no different - put simply it is excellent.

Colour-wise the pictures here are pretty accurate; the pillowcases and duvet cover are a light green - not as bright as pea, but not as dark as a deep green. They look really nice in my neutrally coloured room and would in yours too I'm sure!

In terms of quality, all items are really well made with no loose threads or poor stitching. The pillowcases fit my standard pillows perfectly, and there's none of that annoying bunching or moving around of either the pillows or the duvet, as you get with some cheaper sets. Both the duvet cover and pillowcases are 100% cotton and the thread count is quoted as 200, which is typical for this sort of stuff, but as it is made so well it feels smoother than that and of a high quality.

Another bargain product from the Basics range!

Neato Robotics Botvac D85 Robot Vacuum, 0.7 Litre, 43 W, Black
Neato Robotics Botvac D85 Robot Vacuum, 0.7 Litre, 43 W, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The future has arrived - in suction form., 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, we don't have personal jet packs yet. Driver-less cars are still in their infancy. And a whole host of things predicted for the 21st century have as yet failed to materialise - apart from maybe mass surveillance. What we do have here though is a slice of that futuristic world we were promised, in the form of the Neato Botvac D85 robotic vacuum. And what a revelation it is...

The D85 arrives, appropriately enough, in a neat box containing of course the vacuum itself (more of that shortly), a nice instruction booklet, the charging base, a different brush, some spare filters, a cleaning tool and the all important boundary tape.

Once unpacked the vacuum requires a full charge before you start using it, so that gives you plenty of time to read the instructions - something you'll need to do in order to get your vacuum operating properly and avoiding any areas in which you don't want it to suck! Once that's done and you've placed the charging station in a clear area with plenty of space around, and up against a wall, it you're good to unleash the Botvac!

Initially it startles you to see the vacuum carefully map out your rooms all by itself when you first press "CLEAN HOUSE" and let it go. You use the included boundary marking tape to stop the D85 going anywhere you might not want it to. In use I found things like the edge of rugs, cables, and steps (obviously) troublesome and worth marking with the posts so the Botvac knows not to go there again. The unit takes some time carefully mapping out every nook and cranny of your room including awkward areas around tables, the legs of furniture etc. You then programme when you'd like the Botvac to clean up and leave it all to itself from then onwards. It adapts to things you may have left on the floor too, constantly re-mapping as it goes.

At the time you specify, the vacuum leaves its station, does the cleaning job efficiently without getting stuck (a miracle really when you think about, considering the angles in an average household) and then happily returns itself back to the charging base. It really is that simple and effective. If it runs out of power during a clean it returns to the base, charges, then carries on. Also, if it does get stuck (and it hasn't in my home yet) it will stop and alert you that it needs help.

In use we really haven't had a problem with the vacuum. Once or twice it has got a bit annoyed that something was caught in its brushes (a really long thread of cotton, a plug and the frilly edge of a rug) but it beeps and gives you an explanation on the screen so you know exactly how to sort it. In operation it is quiet and effective, as good as most vacuums apart from of course, the incredibly expensive models.

Unless you've an incredibly dirty house, or stairs, I'd imagine this unit is really all you need for your vacuuming. As I say there though, it can't do stairs, obviously!

All in all I am really, really impressed with the Botvac D85. I was worried it would be a bit fad-ish or that like some other "future technologies" it would be a let down. But no, this really does work and works well at that. So step into the future and let a robot take the strain of the vacuuming. At last...

Lightning Cable Syncwire Apple iPhone Charger -[Apple MFi Certified] Lifetime Guarantee Series- for iPhone 6S Plus 6 Plus SE 5S 5C 5, iPad 2 3 4 Mini, iPad Pro Air 2, iPod - 3.3ft/1m White
Offered by Syncwire

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and brilliant lifetime quality, 17 Aug. 2015
Put simply, if you need a replacement sync or charge cable for your lightning port equipped iDevice (iPhone, iPad, iPod) then you need look no further than this offering from Syncwire.

Not only is it significantly cheaper, and better made than the Apple original, but it also comes with a lifetime unconditional warranty meaning you'll never get the dreaded "not supported" message, or suffer from cable problems, ever again.

The cable and connectors are well made and the lightning-end of things slightly differs in sleeve size with the Apple version meaning much less interference with cases and the like. Very handy! In use I found the cable worked flawlessly every time with my iPhone and iPad and I certainly didn't have any problems plugging it in or out of the USB port of the device. The cable thankfully feels very well made and very sturdy so you can plug and unplug with confidence.

The size I bought was the standard 1m variant but I expect the longer, 2m variant, to be the same extremely high quality.

In summary, its refreshing to get a product that not only performs superbly in use, and feels like it is well made - but also one that has the backup of an unconditional warranty. On that basis my only advice to you, if you're looking for a sync/charging cable, is to buy this superb Syncwire offering without hesitation!

Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for Canon - 40 Black
Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for Canon - 40 Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite black and white..., 16 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tricky one this - the actual quality of the ink cartridge and print it produces are absolutely fine. It was recognised by my Canon IP1900 printer no problem at all, and the quality of print was as per the original cartridge. So when it comes to the actual product: all good and 5 stars as you'd expect.

I say tricky though because this item requires competitively pricing to make it cheaper than the manufacturer's item, otherwise I don't quite see the point? If you can buy the original cheaper, what is the point of paying more for this, a remanufactured item?

You should have no hesitation in buying therefore - with one MAJOR caveat - check the price and the price of the original first. Buyer beware!

Bosch PHD5987GB Brilliant Care Keratin Advance Hair Dryer - White
Bosch PHD5987GB Brilliant Care Keratin Advance Hair Dryer - White

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic hair dryer from one of the very top manufacturers, 14 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fantastic hair dryer from one of the very top manufacturers, Bosch.

In use it is light, easy to handle, has a cord of decent length and perhaps it's best feature - a turbo mode which increases the blowing power of the device significantly without sacrificing heat. It has separate heat and speed settings which handily allow you to control both separately, unlike a lot of other lesser competitors' models. It comes with a diffuser and a concentrator both of which are very well made and handy to have!

Finally, the dryer also looks attractive and, as it's from Bosch, I've no doubt reliability and longevity will not be a problem.

All in all this is an excellent dryer, which works really well and is well worth the money!

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 0.9 m (3 ft) - White
AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 0.9 m (3 ft) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective!, 12 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite it's basics labelling this is a quality sync or charging cable for your Apple lightning port equipped device.

Despite being not much longer than the annoyingly short Apple supplied cables, the plug ends seems much more sturdy and less likely to become frayed or fall apart.

I've used it to charge both generations of iPad Air, an iPhone 6 and a new gen iPod without any problem at all. So what more could you want or need? Excellent!

Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Nail Pliers
Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Nail Pliers

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Cut, 20 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are brilliant nail clippers! They are constructed from quality stainless steel and are nicely weighted, not too heavy or light. They're also really, really sharp so will neatly cut your toe or finger nails with little or no effort. I'm left handed but didn't have any problems using these for left or right hands/feet.

They're well made so I have no fears regarding their longevity, the "hinge" seems well sealed and unlikely to pop or wear loose, and they're so sharp I doubt I'll need them sharpening again either.

An excellent purchase to keep your nails in order.

Sony DSCWX500 Digital Compact High Zoom Travel Camera with 180 Degrees Tiltable LCD Screen (18.2 MP, 30 x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC) - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 17 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Put simply, this is a great camera for popping into a bag or pocket and taking with you wherever you go. It has a high quality Zeiss lens, built in wifi and NFC, an excellent movie shooting mode, a variety of camera modes to suit the beginner and those with a bit more experience alike, and probably the thing which impressed me most - a 30x zoom which keeps pictures clear and crisp when used.

I've used the camera in a variety of situations now (my normal camera is a Nikon DSLR), and a variety of different lights, and I've been impressed with everything it has produced.

I tried first in the "intelligent auto" and "superior auto" modes in which the camera does all the work for you. It detects what sort of thing or scene you're taking a picture of and adjusts the settings on the camera automatically. I found in these modes the camera was really accurate capturing what I was trying to take a picture of and all of the images were clear and had good exposure. So if it's a point and shoot camera you're looking for, you should look no further.

Of course the camera allows you to override these auto modes and has the usual aperture priority, shutter priority, landscape, panorama, movie and manual modes - all of which work well, as you'd expect. These allow you to really get to grips with the pictures you're taking once you're familiar with how they work and what you can do with them (presuming you don't already of course).

Battery life is always a concern with a digital camera but the WX500 is excellent on this front. The manual quotes around 400 shots per full charge and I've found that to be pretty accurate though I suspect use of the flash would reduce that longevity somewhat.

When it came to getting pictures off the camera onto my PC this was a doddle and there was no need to download the Sony software for basic transfer of pictures, Windows did it for me, though the Sony software is good and offers more advanced options. I also found the wi-fi connectivity worked well; I was able to transfer photos directly from my camera to my iPad this way, thanks to the Sony app.

As for things I don't like; a big one for me - I miss a proper viewfinder, especially in strong sunlight where I've found the LCD screen here can be a little challenging to see properly. It does tilt around to assist with selfies and the like, but I still found the sun to occasionally be a large issue when taking pictures, even when the brightness on the LCD was at full. For that reason I need to deduct a star from what otherwise is easily a 5 star review.

There are a whole host of others things about this camera that I haven't even touched on in this review. For example there's a "beauty effect" mode which automatically does some of the work Photoshop and the like would do to a portrait picture (smooths skin, widen eyes, brighten teeth - that sort of thing) which seems to work well and keeps pictures looking quite natural. There is also a built in image stabiliser too which reduces blur from camera shake, especially useful when zooming or in low light.

All in all then I think - issues with sunlight aside - this is an excellent camera that would suit everyone, from a point and click person to someone with more understanding of some of the other available modes. It is light enough to carry without noticing, has good battery life, a massive range of modes and on-camera tweaks, and overall takes really great pictures.

AmazonBasics Everyday Fitted Sheet, Double - White
AmazonBasics Everyday Fitted Sheet, Double - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing basic about this...., 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is always a worry getting anything with an own brand or "basic" label but in my experience the Amazon range of "Basics" contains some proper bargains, and I think this sheet is one of them.

It is 100% cotton and it looks and feels expensive. It fits perfectly to my double bed and doesn't have that annoying habit of the corners popping up as some cheaper sheets do.

In use it feels like a much more expensive sheet; lovely and smooth - the perfect word to sum it up would be comfortable! And for such a great price, what more could you want? Excellent!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20