Profile for Kieran Senior > Reviews

Offered by Greener by Nature
Price: 101.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: ROK Espresso Coffee Maker
I rarely write reviews, but I had to write one on this product due to it being such a great product.

Pros:

* Solid build, feels like it should be part of an engine as it's cast iron.
* Much quicker and easier to make an espresso than an electric espresso machine.
* You can easily get just as good an espresso as a regular machine.
* Deep coffee grind holder meaning you can have super strong espresso's or large cappuccino's. My last machine's meant you had to make two espresso's separately. This definitely has the right depth.
* Cleaning this is *way* easier than cleaning an espresso machine. All the parts are completely exposed.

Cons:

* The instructions. They're very low quality. I think the print quality needs to be much better. Also, they don't seem to explain what some of the other parts are for (the plastic part to make two espresso's at once, for example).
* The rubber filter wasn't attached when mine arrived, so I was staring at it blankly wondering where it's meant to go. Again, there's no instructions for this, but the rubber part is very important, but undocumented even though it's removable.
* The milk frother. It's not that having a milk frother is bad, it's just functionally this one needs some work (aesthetically it looks good). The tube and rod are both metal meaning they don't slide well together, so when moving it back and forth it can be quite difficult. Some other material needs to be used, or some other engineering to make them slide together nicely. Ball bearings? It could work. Also, there's a rubber part at the top to stop you burning your fingers, but it'll only really hold your forefinger and thumb. If you want to use an extra finger then prepare to get your finger burned. The rubber part at the top should be able to take a few fingers, not just forefinger and thumb.

Don't let the cons scare you, they're not obstructive to the product really, they're just minor details, but it's always the super fine details that give a 5/5. Other than these, I'd highly recommend this product.

Beginning Rails: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice)
Beginning Rails: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice)
by Jeffrey Allan Hardy
Price: 23.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Outdated, but okay, 11 Aug 2010
In response to the other review that got written on here, you are perfectly correct, it is outdated. The real question is, should that be a reason to give it one star? Maybe as a warning, but not as a review for the content of the book and its applicability at the time of writing. It was aimed at an older version of Rails, therefore it's applicable to that version of Rails. You shouldn't be comparing it to the latest version. If we did this in every review then many books would get a low rating. Technology changes, it doesn't mean you should give a book a bad review because it's outdated.

With all of this in mind, the book is aimed at complete beginners, those who haven't worked with Rails yet. In this respect, the book is good because it is basic. Personally, I'm a professional software developer, and I've worked with web MVC frameworks, and I had worked with RoR beforehand. This doesn't mean the book wasn't useful, because it covered topics which I had never had to deal with before, and certainly topics which I've found useful such as the mailing API, the use of AJAX.

I will point out there are a number of mistakes in this book, ones which shouldn't have been made. For example, there's quite a few grammatical inconsistencies, more than I've ever found in a book in fact. I wasn't keen on the description of AJAX either, whilst many believe it's still an acronym, truth be told it has outgrown its original design and many people argue that it is a word. I'd also argue the title of the book isn't appropriate "From Novice to Professional" isn't accurate, as this is more for complete beginners and bringing them up to a proficient level.

With all this said, I think this was Cloves' first book, it was written for an older version of RoR (which was current at the time of when the book was written), and it is aimed at complete beginners. I wouldn't recommend buying it now, but I would recommend buying the next version of their book Beginning Rails 3 that's released in September 2010.

Pro ASP.NET MVC Framework
Pro ASP.NET MVC Framework
by Steve Sanderson
Price: 39.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Technically Understandable, 10 Nov 2009
To be honest, the real reason I got this book was because it was one of the first books (if not the first) to come out in relation to ASP.NET MVC. Whilst my reasoning for buying it wasn't based on previous reviews it definitely isn't a regret.

I've been devouring this book at work in an effort to develop better MVC applications. The guidance is very straightforward and understandable even for those with zero clue in MVC architectures. Fortunately I had a good grounding in MVC having worked closely with the architecture previously, so it wasn't new to me.

Not only does Steve break down ASP.NET MVC chapter-by-chapter but he also gives a real world application to work through for a considerable amount of the book. This allows the reader to see how many of the features are applicable in the real-world which immediately made me want to give it five stars as I feel many authors of technical literature should do this.

Some things aren't made entirely clear. For example, my DAL uses stored procedures therefore I have to extend DataContext which means I have to provide the base constructor, essentially stopping me from passing a connection string to my repository constructor. The example given for Castle Windsor passes a connection string to the repository which left me stuck in my tracks. Of course you don't have to do it this way. Of course this is only a minor detail but a beginner may become stuck, and of course if Steve covered every single one of these minor details the book would've been twice the length, which wouldn't have been pleasureable for the reader or writer alike.

What is a shame is that Microsoft ferverently released ASP.NET MVC 2 which included a host of new features which would've been excellent in a book like this. Hopefully Steve may provide a top-up book either in electronic format or printed.

Overall I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to get involved in ASP.NET MVC development, even if you are a beginner.

iGadgitz Black Genuine Leather Case Cover Holder for Apple iPhone 3G & 3GS 8gb, 16gb & 32gb + Screen Protector & Detachable Belt Clip
Offered by iGadgitz
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Aug 2009
I now feel like a true businessman with my leather case for my iPhone.

Seriously though, this is an excellent product made from high quality leather and fits the iPhone perfectly. It also comes with a screen protector which I just put on. The screen protector has two additional layers on either side. The first you take off to apply it, then the second is just to protect the real screen. The application was very easy and you can't even tell the screen is there to be honest.

You can't access the headphone socket once the case is closed, and this is done for the reason that you wouldn't be able to open the case without breaking the headphones if there were a hole in the case, so it's designed like that.

Don't let the price fool you, it's a high quality product.

Out of the Silent Planet (The Cosmic Trilogy)
Out of the Silent Planet (The Cosmic Trilogy)
by C. S. Lewis
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 July 2009
This book quickly develops into an action-based sci-fi from the beginning. Ransom, an intelligient man of philology, ends up on his way to an alien planet taken by force. Fortunately he is well suited when required to communicate with aliens, being an expert in languages.

Packed full of adventure, Ransom finds himself in some peculiar situations, but undeterred he battles on.

This book is full of excitement, action, and intelligible scenes when encountered with the alien life forms on the planet. Definitely worth a read!