Profile for AK-OK > Reviews

Content by AK-OK

AK-OK

Philips Lumea Precision Plus SC2003/11 IPL Hair Removal System with Facial Attachment
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars This has changed my life, Asian with facial hair, it works!, 18 Feb. 2014
I wish I had bought this sooner. I'm Asian (Indian) and have suffered with facial hair for a long time. I've had professional laser, IPL and electrolysis over the years. I've tried trimming the hair, bleaching it, you name it I've done it. The professional treatments worked for a while but the hair always came back. It really started to affect my mood and confidence, every time I saw myself in a mirror it was the only thing I saw. I deliberated for a long time about buying this as it isn't cheap and I wasn't sure if it would work on my skin tone or not. I tried to do as much research as I could but there wasn't a lot out there about using it with Asian skin.

It arrived quickly and in good condition. Its easy to use although I do have to contort my face/neck to make sure there is good contact. I did a test patch with no reaction so went ahead and treated my lower face and neck. I use setting 4 after trying 3 and 4 in the patch test. There was a very mild sensation only, no stinging, no reaction or redness to the skin either. The way the handset is, its quite easy for the setting to be altered inadvertently. Occasionally it has gone up to 5 by accident and I've done a couple of flashes before realising. It feels stronger on 5, not sore but more noticeable. I haven't had any reactions even on level 5, I probably could treat at this level but don't want to risk damaging my skin or go against the guidelines.

I've done 4 treatments now, 2 weeks between each. I plan to do another treatment in 2 weeks then increase the interval between treatments. The difference is truly amazing, there is virtually NO HAIR even prior to needing the next treatment. I can't believe I waited so long to get this. I wear my hair up now as I'm not worried about trying to cover my facial hair. I'm writing this review to help anyone else with facial hair decide whether this is right for them or not. I understand that this device merely 'stuns' the hair follicle into not growing and if I were to stop then the hair would return.....I think that's probably what has happened with previous professional treatments. The relief of having an easy, quick, home solution to this problem really is amazing.

It is a lot of money but I will definitely replace the unit as and when necessary, unless something better comes on the market by then. It works out far cheaper than professional treatment and is as effective (from my point of view anyway).
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2014 8:20 AM GMT

New iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display White Colour Premium Quality Case Cover in with Front & Back Protection Smart Cover With Generation iPad mini 2 with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function with Smooth Satin Inner Cloth with Screen Protector (White, iPad Mini 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like, functional, sleek, cheap, 7 Jan. 2014
Having driven myself crazy looking at the plethora of iPad mini cases I ordered this case. I initially bought an origami style case that was 10 times the price of this one but didn't fit the iPad mini retina. This case arrived promptly and in good condition. I was looking for a sleek case, ideally with a clear or transparent back as I like the iPad as it is but realise it needed some protection. I paid 2.99 for a slim but firm transparent plastic back cover, magnetic front cover, screen cover and cleaning cloth! Seriously, that it amazing value. It fits the iPad mini retina well. The screen cover was a bit tricky to apply but that's probably more to do with my cack handedness. The hinge that connects the front cover is a bit 'floppy' but it does the job.

I'm seriously impressed with this case. I had bought it as a temporary cover till I found smth better but think I'll be sticking with it. Let's hope it lasts.

It's probably not suitable for someone who's going to be flinging their iPad around a lot but as an adult who doesn't intend to be dropping it anytime soon and generally looks after their possessions it's perfect.

Give it a whirl, there's nothing to lose!

PS have just discovered a stylus in the bag as well. Gave 4 stars for the slightly floppy hinge & is can't vouch for the longevity as yet as I've just received it.

Moshi iGlaze with VersaCover for the New iPad mini - Aloe Green Versa Cover
Moshi iGlaze with VersaCover for the New iPad mini - Aloe Green Versa Cover

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit iPad mini retina, 5 Jan. 2014
I looked around for an iPad case for a while and really liked the look of this one. It arrived promptly and in good condition but doesn't fit the iPad mini retina so I had to return it. Disappointed as I really liked it a lot. Would have helped if the description was more explicit rather than stating 'new iPad mini' which I misconstrued to mean the retina. I would consider getting it if it's made to fit the retina.

Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism [DVD]
Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels

5.0 out of 5 stars Relentless......in a good way, 10 Jan. 2012
Purchased this after being impressed with 30 day shred. As outlined already it is a cardio based circuit style workout. It doesn't seem too bad to begin with but if you do the full workout I guarantee you will be dissolving in a pool of sweat by the end. There are some really intense moves but you flow through them quickly enough that it is (generally!) manageable. I love the fact that you use your own body weight to build strength. Jillian uses a lot of compound movements so you're always getting the most for your time. If I'm working out I want to get results after all! Have only just got this DVD so too early to say whether I will get results but am hopeful, don't see how you can work that hard and not see a difference!

Drops of Nectar: Yoga Relaxation for Rejuvenation & Healing
Drops of Nectar: Yoga Relaxation for Rejuvenation & Healing
by Shiva Rea
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, 10 Jan. 2012
I really enjoy using this CD. It encompasses a variety of things to really make you feel relaxed and balanced. There are chandra namaskar (moon salutations) which are lovely, slow flowing postures and a nice counterpoint to more physical/warming sun salutations on the days when you don't feel like that. I do find the breath quite long during this practice, I struggle to keep mine as long as instructed and often end up going through the poses a bit more quickly to keep in time with my breath. The pranayama practice is nadi shodhana (alternative nostril breathing) which I really love, it makes you feel more balanced with a clear mind. Yoga nidra allows a state of deep relaxation to be achieved in body and mind.

There are other really useful tools on the CD such as using a tennis ball to release deep muscle tension, tracks to relax and unwind to.

I think you probably need to be a bit familiar with yoga to follow the CD but it does come with a leaflet which details the postures, has a diagram of the chakras and some other information.

Overall, if you want to create some stillness, calm and deep relaxation in body and mind all you need to do is unroll your mat, put this CD on, shut the curtains and take some time for yourself.

Yoga Sanctuary: A Guided Hatha Yoga Practice
Yoga Sanctuary: A Guided Hatha Yoga Practice
by Shiva Rea
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all round practice, 10 Jan. 2012
I love using this CD for my practice at home. You need at least a basic level of knowledge of the different poses as you will flow through them pretty quickly at times. I don't think it would be suitable for a complete beginner, best to go to some classes first. I still had to refer to the chart at the beginning as sometimes the explanations are brief. Once you are familiar with the sequences you can really focus on the practice. I really like the 2 different practices - solar and lunar. Its good to be able to choose the tracks you want to do when you don't have time for a longer practice. I definitely find it quite challenging at times but always feel relaxed and rejuvenated after doing it. I find the CD format a lot easier to follow than a DVD. I've had this CD for quite a few years now and find I use it a lot more than other DVDs etc I've bought.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels

5.0 out of 5 stars Converted shred-head!, 10 Jan. 2012
This is a really good workout - after finishing the 30 days I still go back to it. I found it challenging but rewarding....it felt good to stick to something regularly and you get a real sense of achievement when you finish it. You will definitely sweat and feel the burn. It made me realise that all the time I'd previously spent in the gym over the years I'd just been 'phoning it in'! I work out a lot more effectively now thanks to this DVD. I bought it based on good reviews I'd read....then it sat in its plastic cover for months before I decided to actually do it. I'm glad I did. Jillian is a really good motivator...no nonsense, straight talking and effective. I've gone on to buy some of her other DVDs but I know I'll keep coming back to this one. If you want a quick workout that really works then this is it.

Clean & Easy Deluxe Home Electrolysis Permanent Hair Removal Kit
Clean & Easy Deluxe Home Electrolysis Permanent Hair Removal Kit
Offered by BeautySupply

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 19 Dec. 2010
I bought this product with a bit of hesitation after reading the mixed reviews, I'm glad I did. It does work but is a bit fiddly so you need good light and a good mirror. I've had professional electrolysis as well and find using this more comfortable with less reaction afterwards. Its also convenient to be able to do the odd hair as they come up. I would recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2012 6:35 PM BST