Profile for G. Steer > Reviews

Content by G. Steer

G. Steer (UK)

Czech and Slovak Republics (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Czech and Slovak Republics (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by Lisa Dunford

4.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the new update in April 2010, 3 Jan. 2010
It's a LP guide - it's got mostly everything you need with places to visit slightly off the beaten track. This edition is out of date now as a new one is due for release in April 2010 which will fix the incorrect exchange rates / costs due to the poor UK exchange rates, current budget items listed in this edition are not quite as budget anymore, but this is more due to the current worldwide financial climate than the book itself.

Also, check train/bus times via the offical timetables site, they have changed since this book with a couple of buses we attempted to get going from different stations. Our fault for not checking!

Worth it.

Czech Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
Czech Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
by Richard Nebesky

4.0 out of 5 stars Take the pronunciations with a bag of salt!, 3 Jan. 2010
Good handy guide for deciphering written Czech but the pronunciations weren't understood by a lot of people in Prague, Plzen and other places. Could have just been us mucking things up but even the basic dvuh for two was not understood by people.

Worth it's price if only for menu reading!

Prague (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
Prague (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
by Sarah Johnstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a must have in your pocket., 3 Jan. 2010
Brilliant little book, even if ours was missing the pull out map (second hand). Each section gives you the history, a local map and other info. Was in my pocket everyday of our trip and I'd advise everyone else going to Prague to get one (this or an updated version).

Memoirs of a Master Forger
Memoirs of a Master Forger
by William Heaney

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, great introduction to this author., 19 Nov. 2009
Demons - we all have them, small or large, grey or orange but poor Mr Heaney has his own to deal with alongside watching out for them in others.

I was intrigued when I first came across our protagonists name in the book, as it was the authors and I quickly checked that I had correctly identified his name on the cover, indeed I had. Intriguing, the author is our hero and there are no other publications accredited to him at the beginning of the book, this perked my interest from the off. After finishing the book a bit of digging leads to the actual author being one Graham Joyce with his creation William Heaney appearing to have forged his name on to the very book he is the subject off.

My usual reading haunt is in the sci-fi / fantasy areas but the title of this book grabbed my attention and as soon as I saw the mention of demons on the flavour text I read further. I'm glad I did otherwise I would have missed this gem of a book, the story deals with the authors personal demons, his struggling realisation of his need to deal with them and his fears for others and their own demons. Set in a time period ranging from Williams youth in college to the current middle-aged day it takes in young love to modern romance, old forgery to new and spins a tale of many threads that all combine superbly.

The writing style maintained my interest and I kept reading past when I should really have stopped to do other things, although at first I did notice the short sentence style it vanished amidst the narrative flow. There is plenty of depth to keep you thinking and no opinions are pushed too far with just enough is it/ isn't it real to keep you on your toes until, and indeed after, the tale is done.

Graham Joyce, the actual author (as I found from one of the reviews above), has won the British Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 1993, 1996, 1997 and 2000, followed by the World Fantasy Award in 2003 with various books - looks like my reading list just got a tad longer, I'm glad I found this author, if by a rather random method!

Buffalo Ministation Lite 500GB Portable Turbo USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Crystal Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Cheerful & does it's job, 26 Sept. 2009
I now have a pair of these alongside and older Ministation Turbo. These units are smaller than my Turbo which is nice but they do feel like they need treating with a bit more care regarding knocks etc to the exterior finish (obviously no external HD should be subjected to large shocks!).

Speed wise they are more than adequate, I'm using these to run my live image folders from (~250gb currently) and the associated backups. The main database is still run from the internal 7200rpm drive on the laptop so these are only accessed when rendering new previews / importing / exporting images but I have not experienced any noticeable slowdowns since moving the image data hive to the external drives from the internal.

In fact I have just purchased a third of this type of drive, a white variant, for my mothers new Mac Mini system. I've not had any warranty issues with the Buffalo branded external drives.

The only reason this drive does get a 5 star rating from me is that it requires the included cable to function correctly and won't power on correctly using a standard USB->Miniusb cable, similar to the older Western Digital external 2.5" drives. So keep hold of the cable!