Profile for Cam Clark (SKULL1138) > Reviews

Content by Cam Clark (SKU...

Cam Clark (SKULL1138) (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Saint Odd
Saint Odd

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read, disappointing end to a great series...., 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Saint Odd (Kindle Edition)
Review of Saint Odd.

I have been very much entertained so far by the Odd Thomas series of books, there have been some of them I have liked better than others to be sure, and in fact i would say the odd numbered books have been the best, may personal favourite being the previous Deeply Odd novel.

Unfortunately this trend continues as I found that this final instalment was rather unsatisfying as a conclusion to the whole series, whether further answers will be provided in the final book of the Magic Beach trilogy which is definitely set in the same universe as the Odd Thomas series I do not know, there were a few hints to potential futures for that series in this book.

But let’s talk specifics and please avoid these if you want to be completely spoiler free, questions that were not answered that should have been, even if only a little.

Spoilers ahead for Book 8 – Saint Odd

• Bodachs? – What are they, where do they come from, and what’s with the time stuff in the first book?
• Fully Smooth and Blue? – There are hints that this indicates someone who is 100% ready to move on to the next life when needed/circumstances arise, but was not explained quite well enough for me.
• Edie Fischer’s husband Heathcliff? – Did he start the resistance, the good side? If so then what the hell was he exactly if Mrs Fischer is just a normal Human.
• Who are the Inner Circle of the Cult of Meridian? - We only met low level punks, but the last book hinted at this one dealing with even grander ideas than the previous one, instead it went back to dealing with very low level punks with no powers. This could have been better explained in the second to last chapter of the book much better, instead Odd Tell’s us that he can tell us no more about what it all means because we are not dead yet? Well I am unlikely to be dead any time soon I hope and since I don’t have a belief system and this is just a story to me I don’t think I’ll ever get the ideas the author had in his head.
• Annamaria – so it is said she lived a long time ago, gave birth to a daughter who gave birth to a son and is an eternal mother to all those that need mothering like Odd – Ok so is Koontz saying she is the Mother of Mary, fits his Catholic view of the world I suppose, but wait. Why was she in danger and asked if Odd would die for her? Why does she seem to have magic abilities if she is actually a dead human from 2 and a bit thousand years ago, how can you kill that which is already deceased? Why is she constantly pregnant when she already gave birth away back then? Ultimately what purpose did she have in the stories if there was not something Odd had to specifically do to protect her unborn child, I always thought knowing he is a Catholic that it would be the 2nd coming of the Messiah, that she would give Birth only when the world was ready for it and not before. Much better scenario, but really apart from being enigmatic at the point we start to want proper answers, she serves no real purpose to the overall story.

Now if Koontz was to begin a series based on Edie Fishers battle against these dark forces which included AnnaMaria et al, and therefore had the chance to explain things Odd was happy to learn later, I would forgive this, but I do not see this happening, so we are left with answers to questions I had at the end of the first Novel.

A book set in the ‘second life of service’ would be amazing, but he described it as to out Tolkien, Tolkien....indicating he does not have the guts to attempt it himself.

Imagine the Harry Potter books and Deathly Hallows had an extremely simple plot which never involved Voldemort at all directly, and when Harry died and spoke to Dumbledore, the old Wizard never explained anything to him and Harry just accepted that, unfortunately this is exactly what Saint Odd is like.

I have heard lots of people who both loved it and were very disappointed in it, all from fans of the series as a whole.

I’d say it would have been 100% fine if this was a standalone chapter, but when you take a stand alone chapter and then tack on a final chapter explaining the entire series and not doing a very good job, it just feels like Koontz could not be bothered explaining all the things he raised, had no real idea how to finish the series but wanted done with it, so he wrote a very basic easy Odd plot and then tacked on Odd’s death and what that meant at the end of it.

It also gives you a clear message, that his Christian God is the only god and the Catholic stance is 100% correct, which is a very non logical and self supporting way to come at the story, this was not the way Books 1-7 were written at all.

Did I enjoy reading it, yes, but I felt it was over before it began and now I’ll never find the answers to the questions I wanted answering above.

Personally I think he could have made it a 2 part book, and instead of the end we got, Odd in the second life becomes the nature of the 2nd part of it. He just did not have the belief to pull it off, did he get bored writing about Odd after 8 books? Well he could have easily cut out book 2 completely and probably made book 4 a part of book 5.

I love the series, so I encourage people to read it and decide for yourself, but those were my thoughts after following odd for over a decade.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 12:06 PM GMT

DC COMICS BATMAN ARKHAM CITY SOLOMON GRUNDY DELUXE ACTION FIGURE
DC COMICS BATMAN ARKHAM CITY SOLOMON GRUNDY DELUXE ACTION FIGURE
Offered by Game World United Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good figure, 25 Nov. 2014
Solid, very detailed, gross, quite heavy – My son loves it, perfect figure for the 6 inch to 7 inch range of DC heroes and perfect for any fans of the Arkham City game.

Reasonable articulation given the size and scale of this figure and the weight of it, no breakages or loose parts at all.
Chest plate is removable and the heart inside is also removable; this is the quite gross part. Only warning I’d give is that the chest plate can be tricky to stick on, but easy to come off and the heart inside would be easily lost by a younger child, more for adult collectors, but my 7 year old is very careful with his toys and as such he has no problems playing with this.

Clair de Lune Deluxe Rocking Moses Basket Stand (Natural)
Clair de Lune Deluxe Rocking Moses Basket Stand (Natural)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 25 Nov. 2014
Cheap, effective, reasonably solid, but missing one fo the pegs required for building meaning I had to improvise a solution or risk it being unstable.

No other issues

Justice League The New 52 - Darkseid Deluxe Figure
Justice League The New 52 - Darkseid Deluxe Figure
Offered by Star Action Figures

3.0 out of 5 stars Good figure, but bad luck for me, 25 Nov. 2014
The figure t=itself in general is very high quality, very sturdy and painted really well.

My issue was that as soon as I took it out the packet the right leg fell off at the knee, This was an item my son saved all hsi money for and it was the last one available from seller, so I decided not to send it back and instead used glue to stick the leg back on, it now wont swivel at the knee (The part in picture of the leg coloured bright blue fell off), but with a figure this size my son is still happy with it and it has not caused a problem whilst playing with it afterwards, so he is happy with it.

Is this a design fault - no not heard any other people complain about it,
a packaging fault - No I think it was packed well and the leg was not exposed in any way to any difference than the rest of the figure?
Pure Bad Luck - Yep I think I just got a slightlky faulty one pre packaging, for such an expensive figure I wanted to send it back, but My son was admanant it was fine and I think he was getting upset so I did my best to fix instead.

But who can you blame for this, I removed it myself form packaging and it fell off in my own hand within 5 minutes so It was not even through play this happened.

Marvel Universe Superhero Team Action Figure Pack - Guardians of the Galaxy
Marvel Universe Superhero Team Action Figure Pack - Guardians of the Galaxy
Offered by MedClub

3.0 out of 5 stars Best of a Bad bunch, but could be so much more 3.75" GOTG pack, 1 Sept. 2014
Ok so let’s start by saying what you get here. You get 2 figures, that’s all and 2 statues, small statues. Star Lord and Drax are fine, Star Lord comes with comic book paint job as this was released before the movie, and he has 2 pistol guns, both fit well. Drax is again a comic book paint for same reason but looks a little more like his Big Screen counterpart, he gets 2 knives which fit hands well and do not fall off.

The we get a statue or Rocket Racoon, I know its small, but I don’t see why they never articulated even the arms and the head, only the tail moves and that’s just so the figure can stand up and not fall down, it comes with a gun, which really does not fit well in its hand, it also cannot move said hand or head, so it cannot look where it’s firing.

Groot, well he’s just a tiny little baby groot in a plant pot, and cannot move, the point is that either Rocket or Groot being like this would be fine, but both seems like it’s a bit cheap of Hasbro.

The advantage, well these are 3.75” which means they fit in with all the other Marvel toys and Marvel Cinematic Universe toys, unlike the 2.5 GOTG toys which they have produced for the movie, which are again, very cheap quality and badly scaled. I therefore suggest the prices on this pack may increase as people look for toys from this line. Because the 2.5” ones will not sell well.

However If honest Id really pay no more than £25 for this, and that’s only because it’s going to get rarer, realistically, if this pack breaks £30 - £35 I’d walk away

Marvel Captain America Super Soldier Gear Rocket Storm Falcon Figure
Marvel Captain America Super Soldier Gear Rocket Storm Falcon Figure
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Falcon movie version 3.75", 1 Sept. 2014
Just like the Movie version, this is a really good figure in the 3.75” range, it has full Universe/Infinite standard articulation and the ‘wings’ are attached to the arms, but the arms can still move independently. It also has a small movie accurate jet back on the back which can be removed for a larger play version which fires a generic, let’s get rid of these ‘rocket’. Comic book versions are available, but for a kid/collector who loves the movies, this is the best version IMO.

Pay about £10 - £15 for this

Marvel Avengers Infinite Action Figures Wave 3 - Ant Man
Marvel Avengers Infinite Action Figures Wave 3 - Ant Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Ant-Man 3.75" - Avengers, 1 Sept. 2014
Really this is the first time ant-man has made it to the 3.75” range though his other persona Yellow Jacket is available. This figure I think has an excellent paint job and a nice modern look to it, a definite for Avengers collectors or kids who know the comics/cartoons and not just the movies. There is also a movie coming out next year of Ant-Man, so prices may rise closer to that, or drop depending on what toys they produce for the movie. Figure has standard full Universe/Infinite articulation and comes with a mini Ant-Man figure which is not poseable but still cool. A Giant man version would have been even better, but hey ho.

Readily available in 2014 so pay no more than £10-£15 for this

Wasp Marvel Infinite Series Action Figure
Wasp Marvel Infinite Series Action Figure
Offered by Chase Collector (US Seller)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasp 3.75" - Avengers, 1 Sept. 2014
Not many variations of this figure available in the 3.75” range, so it will be popular amongst collectors IMO. The figure is bog standard Marvel Universe/Infinite fair with 2 wings on the back which can be detached, the wings are not the best quality and the paint job is unremarkable. It also comes with a little WASP, which has zero articulation, probably because it’s too small to have any. Definitely worth the £10 - £15 price range though.

Marvel Universe 3 3/4" Action Figures - Black Costume Spider-Man
Marvel Universe 3 3/4" Action Figures - Black Costume Spider-Man
Offered by theactionstation

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Suit spidey - Best version in 3.75", 11 July 2014
Good, well made figure, classic Balck suit spidey in the 3.75" range.

Solid, paint quality is very good, articulated very well and it comes with a little web shot thing, which in all honesty does not fit as well as it should, but in my Son's case, that got placed with all other accessories and never gets used very often.

Recommended

Marvel Universe 3.75" Action Figure - Hobgoblin
Marvel Universe 3.75" Action Figure - Hobgoblin
Offered by theactionstation

5.0 out of 5 stars 3.75" Hobgoblin, 11 July 2014
Good quality 3.75" figure.

Come with it's own glider, only issue is that 2 pegs for the feet would have made the glider sit much better. It falls off quite easily as does the exact same glider with Green goblin.

A couple of well placed pieces of sticky tack sort that problem out though.

Good figure, recommended