Profile for Piffy > Reviews

Content by Piffy

Piffy "piffy" (UK)

Panasonic SD-2501 WXC Automatic Breadmaker - White
Panasonic SD-2501 WXC Automatic Breadmaker - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing replacement for Panasonic SD255. Do not recommend., 3 Jun. 2016
Wish I'd checked the reviews before purchase but my previous Panasonic breadmaker (SD255) was such a success I replaced it without a thought. This one produced nice loaves for about a year but suddenly started making bricks a few weeks ago. I had fixed the previous one by cleaning the inside carefully (some useful advice from a tech forum) and this one worked for a couple more weeks before starting the brick thing again. I use my breadmaker nearly every day and have fresh yeast and flour that was working the day before so hardly think it can be the ingredients as Panasonic likes to imply.

Reading other people's poor experiences with customer service I think I have not the heart to pursue it. But I won't be replacing it with another Panasonic.

Breathless [DVD] [2013]
Breathless [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jack Davenport

2.0 out of 5 stars 6 hours of life I will never get back, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Breathless [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Some tv programmes seriously make me wonder why I wasted so many hours watching them. This drama kept be watching because the acting was good, there was always promise of some kind of thrilling backstory that would emerge in the final episode. Yet by the time the backstory was revealed I'd either guessed it or else it was actually less thrilling than a lot of the imaginings I'd been having. A real damp squib.

I save lots of dramas as I happily rewatch all sorts. But not this one for sure.

Westland Resolva 24H Ready to Use Weedkiller 5 Litre
Westland Resolva 24H Ready to Use Weedkiller 5 Litre
Offered by Farm and Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Only thing that's worked on my ground elder, 9 May 2013
I tried lots of the dilute and spray type glyphosate products on the market till buying a small container of this to use on my ground elder as a last move of desperation. It's the only thing that has successfully beaten it back over the last two years though with a weed like that it is still a labour of love and a work in progress.

I don't have an explanation for why the other formulations didn't work for me, both of us in the household are biochemists and familiar with the act of diluting things with accuracy. My guess is the spray mechanism in this is much more effective than any other pumps I bought for the purpose.

Images: No. 1: The Ultimate Coloring Experience
Images: No. 1: The Ultimate Coloring Experience
by Roger Burrows

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetition is not a problem, 1 Nov. 2009
I've got several of these books and started this type of colouring way back when Altair Design pads were available when I was a child. While the previous reviewer is right that the patterns are repeated this is not a problem to my mind because each time one looks at the patterns one sees different shapes forming and different colour schemes come to mind. Out of the same pattern comes many different designs and I ended up being pleased to get multiple opportunities to explore each set of patterns.

I Am More Than One: How Women with Dissociative Identity Disorder Have Found Success in Life and Work
by Jane Wegscheider Hyman

4.0 out of 5 stars If you know someone with DID or you're just interested in the subject this is a must-read., 10 July 2009
This book is well written and a fascinating insight into the life of people who cope well despite having undergone significant psychological trauma. It counters the stereotyped view of women with DID which has persisted through films and literature.

I have only one problem with the book in that I find myself struggling to keep the information about the different women together and remember who experienced what. I have to keep referring back to other chapters to try and keep track and perhaps need to re-read the book as soon as I finish it (I'm just coming to the end).

All in all, if you know someone with DID or you're just interested in the subject this is a must-read.

Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser
Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the higher price, 13 Jun. 2009
I bought one of these to replace our Russell Hobbs machine which died after two or three years of daily use. Now I knew I was a dedicated bread machine user I wanted one that was trustworthy and I particularly liked the seed dispenser as I generally add seeds to my breads.

I've had this about six months now and it's still excellent. The non-stick surface has stayed non stick despite mixing seeds into the dough most days. The paddle comes out without tearing a huge hole in the base of my loaf. The bread is consistently a good texture. Even though I use the same mix that I used with my old machine this is much lighter.

Can't fault it really. If you know you're going to use a breadmaker a lot get this one. If you're not sure, try out a cheaper one first as we did.

Cuisinart Professional Burr Coffee Mill
Cuisinart Professional Burr Coffee Mill

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 16 May 2009
We've had one of these for a little over a year and have loved it... with the exception of a couple of niggles. However, looking at the other products on the market now I think I would still choose this as the best replacement.

Good points:

Large hopper with a wide mouth so very easy to fill.
Good quality of consistent grind.
Automatic setting allows you to fill the hopper and walk away (it's loud, aren't all grinders?)
Grinds enough to make a day's worth of coffee for two avid coffee drinkers. Any more and it wouldn't be fresh enough anyway, less is tedious to have to keep re-grinding.

Niggles

The static drives me mad. Opening the container means coffee flies everywhere and I quite often get a shock. The resolution we had for this in the last year was to grind when we see the next pot of coffee will need new coffee so that the static has time to disperse.

The container is a nuisance to open and empty, partly because of the static.

The grind goes off every few months as the oils and dust build up a little but my husband has always managed to clean it.

The automatic setting has failed after just over a year so we need to keep a finger on the button now. However, reading the reviews here I see that we may be able to get a replacement from Cuisinart despite having not got our receipt of sale any more. Will test out the highly praised Cuisinart customer service before buying a replacement now.

The Onedin Line - Series 1 (Part 1) [1971] [DVD]
The Onedin Line - Series 1 (Part 1) [1971] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Gilmore
Offered by the-woodbridge-inn

4.0 out of 5 stars Where is the rest?, 31 Aug. 2006
I settled in to watch a series I remembered as gripping the whole family when I was a child. I wasn't disappointed at all, it's a wonderful drama. It only drops one star in my estimation because as noted by other reviewers, someone thought it would be a good idea to re edit it out of episode format into a strange cobbled together single 'film' of great length.

I couldn't believe it when I got to the end of disk two only to find that there were no more. I searched around on the net and I wrote to the BBC shop. Then I discovered this website which suggests and address to write to if you want to see more Onedin Line episodes released on DVD:

[...]

The address given is:

BBC Commissioning Editor

3rd Floor

2 Entertain Video Ltd

33 Foley Street

London

W1W 7TL

Anyone else feel like joining me in a request en masse?

Why People Don't Heal And How They Can
Why People Don't Heal And How They Can
by Caroline Myss

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but take with a pinch of salt., 1 Feb. 2004
A few years ago I read Anatomy of Spirit by Caroline Myss and really felt it spoke to me where I needed to hear it. So I was pleased to get chance to read this book. Perhaps I'm in a different state nowadays (many years of therapy further along now) but I found this book irritated me whenever Dr Myss sounded particularly proscriptive about the kinds of changes that individuals needed. It's my understanding that the person needs to find their own meaning and solutions whereas all too often this book portrayed a rather self righteous or sanctimonious attitude whenever a person had declined to follow Dr Myss' proscribed advice. Nevertheless, I've gone on to read Sacred Contracts and enjoyed that too, simply read them both with some reservations.