Profile for Marin P > Reviews

Marin P "Marin P" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Elena Ceausescu confesiuni reeditare - Nastasescu Violeta
Elena Ceausescu confesiuni reeditare - Nastasescu Violeta

1.0 out of 5 stars Another irrelevant book written by a has-been of the communist era, 8 Jan 2014
The author spoke English at the time when in Romania the only foreign language taught in the schools was Russian and she had the chance to became Elena Ceausescu during dictator's family visit abroad.
Apart from translations it seems that she was in charge with shopping for presents.
The book, written with a wooden language (which offer some inadvertent laughs) is and devoid of any interesting details about individuals and life in the entourage of Ceausescu couple.
The main character is not Elena C, but the author. She repeatedly tells she was more travelled and cultivated than anyone else, always very well and expensively dressed (despite claiming at some point that was paid only one pound per day in expenses) and that she is the only one EC smiled to, trusted and listened to.
It appears that she had more liberty in her travels that her position implies. Why and how this was allowed by a very restrictive regime it is not revealed. And, if you are gullible enough to believe her, it seems that after the dictatorial couple she was the third most important person in all that had happened in various foreign journeys.
She tries to strike a balance between admiration for the couple and criticism, but succeed in portraying herself as dishonest and devoid of any substance.
Don't waste your time reading this book.

The Art of Fielding
The Art of Fielding
by Chad Harbach
Price: 7.19

2.0 out of 5 stars I made efforts to like it, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Art of Fielding (Paperback)
This novel feels manufactured, written by a committee. It does not flow as a natural story would, you can clearly see that parts of the story added just to complement the initial idea.
Despite being long enough, even the main characters are one-sided, not developed enough and the story drags on in some parts.
The main two seems to be asexual and removed from the outside world until the dean's daughter is introduced in the story with no credible actions.
I struggled up to the end and after the grave digging final scene, more appropriate for a Mark Twain novel for teenagers I ended up asking myself - which is the audience this book was written for?
Not for me.

O SCURTA ISTORIE A ROMANILOR POV CELOR TINERI REEDITARE
O SCURTA ISTORIE A ROMANILOR POV CELOR TINERI REEDITARE
by Neagu Djuvara

5.0 out of 5 stars A credible historian, which tries to portray the history with honesty, 23 Dec 2013
A refreshing view of the Romanian history - without the usual jingoistic "academic" content.
A credible historian, which tries to portray the history with honesty, revealing details that are hidden from more "patriotic" tomes.
There is no shame in not being the centre of the universe and being not exactly whiter than white in our past - as long as we accept the past as it was , we can build the future on solid ground, not on fairy stories.
I read the illustrated edition, with maps, portraits and drawings, which enhance de storytelling.
It is not a long book, but nowadays, when the attentions span is limited to the next click, it is a good introduction to history.
I fully recommend it (even to my daughters).

The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality (Penguin Press Science)
by Brian Greene
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 23 Jun 2013
Written with great enthusiasm and no trace of condescendence towards lay readers.
I was thrilled by the journey and I felt compelled to read carefully every word. OK, I struggled to follow some parts, despite reading some chapters twice but I feel it was due to my limitations.
Great orator and teacher - I felt like being back at school (I must confess - I was geeky back then) - he helped me understand better some physics concepts.
Is not the first book I read about the understanding of the works of the Universe, but it was one of the best.

Red Plenty
Red Plenty
by Francis Spufford
Price: 5.73

5.0 out of 5 stars A great storyteller, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Red Plenty (Paperback)
People need hope and after years and years of suffering it seemed that the communism would became more human and things can get better. So everybody, scientists included, started to dream ways to improve the system and their lives.
I knew it wasn't to be, but the author brought the period to us so vividly I could not put the book down until I finished it.
The author is a great storyteller, the characters are full of life and the stories are moving. I was sorry it ended - I would have liked to follow more about their lives.
The book is very well documented - not only in the economic arguments of the time but in details of the everyday life as well.

Where to Ski and Snowboard 2013
Where to Ski and Snowboard 2013
by Chris Gill

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 20 May 2013
I enjoyed the comprehensive info about the western ski resorts - very informative, detailed but easy to use. The only guide book you would need for choosing your ski destination

Canon DCC-1800 Soft Leather Case for PowerShot G1X
Canon DCC-1800 Soft Leather Case for PowerShot G1X
Offered by Digital Depot
Price: 25.00

2.0 out of 5 stars It cannot be attached to a belt, 20 May 2013
A case for a camera of this size should have a strap to attach it to belts. Somehow this one is too posh to have one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2013 6:59 PM GMT

Stand-Up Put-Downs
Stand-Up Put-Downs
by Rufus Hound

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Stand-Up Put-Downs (Hardcover)
I have never read a 130pages long book in less than 1h as I did with this one.
Mainly because of the enormous fonts - what a ridiculous loss of wood.
Some of put downs are gross, but many are witty and hilarious.
I particularly liked the "academic" classification of the types of hecklers.

Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
Price: 75.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Need, 8 Dec 2012
Made from good materials and sleek looking, Responsive keys, slim, good wireless connectivity.
I would have liked some special keys I could assign the opening of my most used folders to, but it is a very good buy.

Brabantia Built-in Bin, 15 Litre - Brilliant Steel
Brabantia Built-in Bin, 15 Litre - Brilliant Steel
Price: 43.75

1.0 out of 5 stars No clear fitting instruction, 8 Dec 2012
Why they did not bother to write clear instruction I cannot understand.
The mechanism is not good enough - the spings are either too stong and the door does not close easily or to week and the lid does not open

Page: 1 | 2