Profile for craiga_uk > Reviews

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll love it or hate it, but please try it!, 8 Sept. 2004
I think, based on the different reviews that are on here, that this is an album you either really like, or really dislike.
It follows on from the Fat of The Land in the same way that the other Prodigy albums follow on from each other - by being different.
I remember the first time I heard Jilted Generation, after listening to Experience, and I thought 'Wow... different'
I got the same thing the first time I listened to AONO.
When the first track (Spitfire) hits, somethings feels familiar but the tone is different. In fact, the first 5 or so tracks have a familiar speed and rhythm about them, but the album is certainly a new style.
The thing that strikes me straight away is the 80's influence that tinges the album, including the use of drum samples that sound like they came from some of the early drum synths. Don't be put off though, this builds a theme and substance below the album and on tracks like Girls it really makes a good track great.
I thought it was odd when I heard an interview with Liam that he said that "You'll be under my wheels" was a filler track that he didn't really like. I think this is one of the gems on the album with its stop start action and hard hitting bass.
I have a feeling that the people who won't like this album are the people who wanted to hear Keith shouting and snorting on more tracks than he did on Fat. Personally I felt this was a poor direction for Prodigy and although it brought in a lot of new fans I think they liked the punkiness more than the electronic side of things. This album sounds like the Prodigy have taken a sidestep and taken the good bits from Fat and Jilted and put them together.
Certainly the album of the month, if not year.