Profile for E.W. > Reviews

Content by E.W.

E.W.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Cyclone (Wonderful Wizard of Oz Pop-Ups Series)
Cyclone (Wonderful Wizard of Oz Pop-Ups Series)
by L. Frank Baum

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a happy purchase., 16 July 2015
This book contained only 2 pages and one of them was torn. Not a happy purchase.

Rubie's Deluxe Hal Jordan Child Fancy Dress -7-8 years(Medium)
Rubie's Deluxe Hal Jordan Child Fancy Dress -7-8 years(Medium)

1.0 out of 5 stars Sizing issues disappoint boy on birthday: DON'T DO IT!, 20 May 2015
This was a disappointing birthday present for my 7-year-old son. First we ordered the small, which turned out to be for 4-6 year olds and gave him a wedgie. We incurred shipping/envelope expenses and time hassles at the post office to send back the small and order the medium, which said on the web site that it would fit a 7-year-old. In fact, the information on the package says that this is an American size 8-10, and indeed it was HUGE. The costume dragged on the floor. Worse, the cardboard chest was uncomfortable for him and fit awkwardly because of the enormous sizing, so there was no way we could keep it and grow into it. My son wears a UK boys size 8, so he's not exactly small. I'd say the medium would fit a 10-year-old. Will now have to incur a second round of post office hassles/expenses returning. 2 strikes: Rubie's is out. DON'T DO IT!

Rubie's Hal Jordan Child Fancy Dress (Small)
Rubie's Hal Jordan Child Fancy Dress (Small)

3.0 out of 5 stars It looks exactly like the picture and my son loved it, 18 May 2015
We also had sizing issues. Because we read a review that said "size=big" we ordered a small (age 4-6) for our large 6-year-old. The size was too small for him, and he was gutted that we have to send this back. I don't know what's going on with the reviews about sizing, but we should have ordered the size that said "8-year-old" for our 6/almost 7-year-old. In response to reviewers who said the costume is "paper thin", we had no problem with the quality -- it's the same polyster/nylon kind of costume fabric that all the children's costumes are made of. It looks exactly like the picture and my son loved it, but the sizing confusion necessitates that we now must faff about taking it back via Royal Mail. Pain.

Cinnamon Bark Organic Essential Oil - 5ml - 100% Pure
Cinnamon Bark Organic Essential Oil - 5ml - 100% Pure
Offered by MysticMoments

1.0 out of 5 stars Resulted in burning sensation and painful rash for both family members, 29 April 2015
Regrettably, I used this (diluted in cream) on my wrists and behind my ears, and placed 2 drops in my 6-year-old son's (deep) bath. Both of us exploded in a very painful rash and experienced an extreme burning sensation everywhere that the (diluted) oil touched our skin. For me, my wrists, behind my ears and eventually most of my neck swelled up directly after application and I had to go the doctor's office. He took one look and said, "That's a corker." The reaction was worse for my son, as it was over most of his body, even though I'd only put 2 drops in his both. The expression on his face was horrific, and he started shouting, "I'm on fire! I have to get out of the bath!" Please don't buy this product (although it does smell lovely, like little cinnamon hearts).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2016 2:01 PM GMT

SHEEP ANIMAL RUBBER OVERHEAD MASK ADULT ONE SIZE COSTUME ACCESSORY FANCY DRESS
SHEEP ANIMAL RUBBER OVERHEAD MASK ADULT ONE SIZE COSTUME ACCESSORY FANCY DRESS

1.0 out of 5 stars No eye holes -- very dangerous!, 28 April 2015
The nostrils are sealed, there was barely any hole at the mouth, and the eyes are sealed so that you can't see where you are going. Someone (a child, for example) is going to suffocate in this mask, or at the very least, trip and fall. Urge the seller to rethink this one.

First Moon Landing (Graphic History)
First Moon Landing (Graphic History)
by Thomas K. Adamson

5.0 out of 5 stars Also highly recommend the others in this series, 28 April 2015
My 6-year-old son loves these books. Also highly recommend the others in this series. Great way to make history fun and readable for young readers.

Forever Young Lady Captain Pirate Fancy Dress Costume + Hat (UK Size 10)
Forever Young Lady Captain Pirate Fancy Dress Costume + Hat (UK Size 10)
Offered by Forever Young.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm quite pleased with the black velvet coat, 21 April 2015
I'm quite pleased with the black velvet coat. The "small" size is snug on me (I'm size 6) but I'm leaving it open (and taking the girly red ribbon off) so I'm okay with that, and it is snug in the photo. The dress is pretty rubbish, but I didn't buy it for the dress anyway as I didn't want that short/puffy look that the photo shows. The hat is just okay -- I find it a bit shallow, and I'm cutting the ribbons off, which are way over the top in my mind. 4 stars for the coat.

Curse of King Tut's Tomb (Graphic History)
Curse of King Tut's Tomb (Graphic History)
by Michael Burgan

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loved this graphic novel -- fantastic drawings and a good ..., 22 Feb. 2015
My son loved this graphic novel -- fantastic drawings and a good mix of history with an enticing mystery. The view the book takes is a scientific one, arguing that the curse can't be real, but the story is dramatized enough to make it spooky and seductive to young readers. My 6-year-old loved it enough to read it on his own and to his friends. Result.

First Steps in Construction - Pyramids
First Steps in Construction - Pyramids

1.0 out of 5 stars I like the idea of it, 26 Jan. 2015
Very challenging for a 6-year-old to put together on his own, and there are a lot of warnings included in the instructions about the "toxic dust" that is created when you chisel the bits apart, which makes me nervous. I like the idea of it, but in practice requires too much supervision, MAY be toxic, and does not include instructions for how to recycle. My child lost interest after building the base and it is sitting unfinished in the closet.

The Famous Five Short Story Collection (Famous Five Short Stories)
The Famous Five Short Story Collection (Famous Five Short Stories)
by Enid Blyton
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Yourself Some Time, 26 Jan. 2015
My 6-year-old son went mad for this audio book. I may have to stage a Famous Five intervention -- all he wants to do is sit in his room and listen to this for hours on end. The surprise hit of Christmas.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5