Profile for J Juckes > Reviews

The Wicked We Have Done
The Wicked We Have Done
Price: 2.07

4.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling and deadly ride, 22 July 2014
Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for my copy, this is in exchange for an honest reveiew

From just reading the synopsis I felt quite excited about this book. I mean can you imagine what would happen if you got locked up with 9 potentially lethal criminals, it sounded like the survival of the fittest. Yes, it does scream a little bit like a Hunger Games themed book, but that is where the similarities end. It is more graphic and yes there are bloody deaths, but the way it plays with the prisoners is sheer evil. You do get to see them as more than just criminals, suddenly a bit of compassion kicks in. They have all committed crimes, but you should never judge people until you get to know the real person.

I did enjoy this book, but I wouldn't say it blew me away. I would like to read book two in the series just to see where this goes.

Some of the characters I didn't really care about, their life in the compass room was just a blur, but the main character Evalyn was the most interesting. Evalynn was multi dimensional and a very complicated person to understand, I think as the story progressed I seemed to see a different person.

I think the main reason this didn't get full marks from me is that even though there was a lot of action in the book, it still didn't grip me fully.

Witch Finder: Witch Finder
Witch Finder: Witch Finder
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story rolled into a mash of magic, treachery and romance., 22 July 2014
I've wanted to read this book for some time, it seems just my kind of book. I was not disappointed, I fell straight in love with the world Ruth Warburton has created. It was magical, yet realistic. I must admit I know very little about the period this book was set in (Victorian), but I found there were some very enlightening snippets which gave a good reflection of what life could have been like then.

This is the first book I have read by this author, it certainly will not be the last. I believe the first series the author released - The Winter Trilogy - is also based in the same world as the Witch Finder. But I found I could read this book without first having to read that series first. It all made perfect sense and I could lose myself in the book without having to think what the heck was going on.

I will shortly be reading book two, it is sat waiting on my bookcase, I have to say I am really interested to see what happens to Luke and Rosa next.

The world and the flow of the writing made this a very enjoyable read. Lots of different characters, some villains thrown in for a bit of excitement. I think my favourite character would have to be Rosa, she is the complete opposite of how she is perceived by some of the characters and it was really nice to see her blossom throughout the book.

Yes I do recommend this, especially if you like witches and a nice bit of romance thrown into the mix.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for my copy, this is in exchange for an honest review

The Long Fall
The Long Fall
by Julia Crouch
Price: 9.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and chilling read, 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Long Fall (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It hooked me in and was dark and twisty, a psychologically gripping read. The only reason this lost out of full marks for me as I kind of guessed the ending about two thirds of the way. I like books to have that oh my! factor, this sadly didn't happen because of the way I could see where the plot was going.

Love, betrayal and guilt..... very powerful weapons to twist and manipulate the mind. It was like watching a ball of wool unravelling until there was nothing left.

One thing I was a bit frustrated about was that even though the main character was under a lot of pressure I was sure she would have acted differently to certain situations. I did feel myself saying what are you doing! But this did no way disengage me from the characters or the plot. The characters are very real and believable.

I really don't want to spoil the plot by giving away details of the story. For this type of book it is best to go in with fresh eyes, but be warned it is chilling and shows how twisted the human mind can be.

This is the first book I have read by this author, I do have another of her books on my bookcase (Cuckoo), I will definitely be bumping up her books on my to read pile. I will be interested to see if she is a master of weaving a mind thrilling read.

I would recommend this book for readers who are looking for a gripping and thrilling read.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for my review copy, this is in exchange for an honest review.

Naturya Organic Wheatgrass Powder 200 g Nutritional Power Food Pouch
Naturya Organic Wheatgrass Powder 200 g Nutritional Power Food Pouch
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars First time ever trying wheatgrass, 24 Jun 2014
I'm a total novice when it comes to wheatgrass. This is the first I have ever bought. I tend to mix it in a shot glass with either mineral water or orange juice. I don't dislike the taste and I like to think it's actually doing me good.

UCI - BI - lc900BK [TEN=10BK] 10 Black Compatible ink cartridge replacement for Brother DCP - 110C, 115C, 117C, 120C, 310CN, 315C, 340CN, 340CW, Fax, 1835, 1835C, 1840C, 1940, 1940CN, 2440, 2440C, 310, MFC, 210C, 215C, 3240, 3240C, 3340, 3340CN, 3342, 410CN, 425CN, 5540CN, 5840, 5840CN, 620CN, 640CW, 680CW, printer, lc900BK, lc - 900BK, quality UCI ink sold by UK compatible ink
Offered by Way2Save
Price: 6.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 24 Jun 2014
I have to say used about three of these before I started to have problems. Then my printer decided to die on me leaving a pool of ink staining my desk. I have since noticed other peoples comments on this. I think it has taught me a valuable lesson on just buying genuine cartridges. I also noticed that the cartridges did not last as long as some others I had bought, they ran out faster even though I was still printing the same amount as usual.

Pukka Paper, Everyday 80GSM A4  Pack of 5 Reams
Pukka Paper, Everyday 80GSM A4 Pack of 5 Reams
Offered by George and Freddie
Price: 21.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Can print easily on two sides, 24 Jun 2014
I have bought Pukka paper before, so I knew what the quality would be like. I tend to print on both sides of the paper and found that this was thick enough to cope. My only criticism is that the paper is not brilliant white, but I only really notice this when I hold other paper against it. I will continue to buy more of this paper as I do like it.

Denby Imperial Blue Straight Mug 0.3l
Denby Imperial Blue Straight Mug 0.3l
Offered by Dawson's Department Store
Price: 6.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely mug, 24 Jun 2014
I have bought several different types of Denby mug now. I think I'm a little addicted to them. They look expensive and feel expensive. I wouldn't normally pay this type of money for a mug, but I have to say it is worth every penny. Lovely balance feel to it. The colour and the glaze effect is lovely. Well worth the money.

Denby 300 ml Heritage Orchard Large Accent Mug, Green
Denby 300 ml Heritage Orchard Large Accent Mug, Green
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Jun 2014
I am so in love with Denby mugs. I bought two of these and I love the colour and pattern.
I don't usually go for expensive kitchenware but have to say it is worth it when it comes to these. I do like the weight and feel of the mug.

Morphy Richards 48755 3 Tier Food Steamer - Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 48755 3 Tier Food Steamer - Stainless Steel
Price: 31.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right for a small family, 24 Jun 2014
This is my second ever steamer. The first one I bought from an electrical wholesaler and could see the product before I bought.

This one I bought blind. Overall it does the job, the food is steamed throughout consistently.

My negatives would be:
You have to get the levels in the right order, but they are marked if you look closely enough. Otherwise they do not fit properly.
The compartments are smaller than I would have liked. Not great for a large family.

My Positives are:
The times does make a noise when it is finished
The food is cooked through evenly
The tiers are easy to handle and if you need to add or take one out then it is simple.
Easy to assemble
Easy to wash

The Secret Diamond Sisters (The Secret Diamond Sisters - Book 1)
The Secret Diamond Sisters (The Secret Diamond Sisters - Book 1)
Price: 1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Glitz and Glam of the Vegas Elite, 24 Jun 2014
I have received a copy of this book for review purposes.

This is the first book I have ever read by Michelle Madow, I do have another of her books lurking somewhere on the kindle and I will certainly be rooting that one out soon.

I have to say I did enjoy this book, it's fun and easy reading and one you can just escape to. The style of writing flows nicely between the three main characters, who I add have three very different personalities. It's fun it's fresh and I will definitely be reading the next in the series which I have seen is out later on in the year.

This book is a mash up of Gossip Girl in Vegas. You have the glitz and glam of Vegas with the elitism of Gossip Girl. Two worlds collide and make up a very excitable and interesting read. Lots of interesting characters to keep you amused.

If I have to be critical I would say that the naivety of the girls, who are thrust in this world of glitz and glam did just grate on me a bit, I felt like shouting wake up and smell the uber rich coffee girls. When it comes to boys them seem to be taken in by the boys charms, I would have really kicked their asses if they'd have pulled any tricks with me!

I like the bitchiness this world creates, the rivals and the newbies clash somewhat. Where there is money, there is rivalry.

I would recommend this book, I have never been to Vegas and it gave me a really wonderful rich and colourful description.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12