Profile for J P Close > Reviews

Content by J P Close

J P Close

Page: 1 | 2
Anker SlimShell (LIFETIME WARRANTY) Ultra-Slim & Light Protective Case Compatible with iPhone 6 / iPhone 6s (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case, just isn't for me., 27 Dec. 2015
Good cheap case, didn't click with me but not because it is a bad product.

Pros
- Fits nicely
- Protects the phone and stops the camera from sticking out!

Cons
- Adds too much bulk to the phone (in my experience)
- The volume and lock buttons require a hard press to work.

Solid case with great protection but adds quite a lot of bulk to the phone which is something I don't like with phone cases. The volume and lock buttons are covered and have case buttons which require a hard press in order for it work which again is something I'm not a fan of.

In all fairness I'm incredibly fussy when it comes to phone cases. This is a good case and will protect your iPhone 6s and for the price you are getting such a really quality product.

Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Offered by CC Leicester

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse for work and travel., 27 Dec. 2015
I bought this mouse to do video editing on my Macbook when I am away from a desktop PC. I picked this mouse because I had heard good things about the MX series and have had a good history with Logitech products. This also stood out because it looks beautiful too.

Pros
- Looks beautiful
- Great Feel
- Battery Life is fantastic
- Tons of customisation with the button configurations.

Cons
- Bluetooth performance not great (at least in my experience.
- Mouse wheel is a bit loud in click to click mode.

First off this mouse looks great and feels great. The Black and gold aesthetic work really well and the shape of it fits the hand great. It has a mouse wheel with two options the click to click and fast scroll. I tend to use the click to click although one issue I find is the click is very loud compared to mice I have owned in the past, however as there's a dedicated button to switching modes it isn't that much of a problem. On the side of the mouse we have the forward and back buttons, the 'thumb wheel' and the thumb rest button (no idea what that is called). forward and back wheels are great although I find the forward button tough to click because of the size and also the layout of the buttons. but generally I only use the back button anyway. The thumb wheel is excellent and works great in programs like premiere pro. The last and somewhat hidden button is the actual thumb rest itself, on my Mac it was configured to work with the typical Mac Gestures which I liked so I kept it. If I swipe the mouse to the side while holding the button it swaps the desktop for example. Very intuitive.

On the bottom of the mouse we have the on/off, connect and profile settings. This mouse is bluetooth but also comes with a wireless receiver which the connect button works seamlessly with. The profile settings are something I haven't played around with much because I only use this with my laptop but the idea is being able to set 3 different profiles (containing different settings and button configurations) so in practice you can quickly switch between computers with the mouse and have settings adjust for each! Very cool if that is something you are looking for!

You also get a usb charging cable (can always have it plugged in if you really want) and a wireless receiver and documentation. It's packed nicely and it all feels very premium.

Performance - The most important part of any mouse. It works great, the ONLY issue I have is the Bluetooth performance when connected to my Macbook, it would lag occasionally which is really annoying when editing. However the performance with the wireless receiver that is included is perfect and haven't had any issues whatsoever with that. The logitech software allows you to change the speed and customise what all the buttons do which allows you to make the mouse fit to your own specifications.

Battery life - I bought this mouse on the 25th of November 2015 and since writing this review on the 27th December 2015 I have yet to recharge this. Now in all fairness I'm not using this all the time. 3 times a week I use it for 5 hours straight (work related) and then it used every now and then other times of the week. That is still very impressive, there is some power saving where the mouse will go into a sleep mode when not in use but just moving it will wake it up.

Conclusion - I'm really happy with this mouse, I didn't have the previous version so I have nothing to compare it to but it works as intended for the most part aside from bluetooth issues. Mouse is right handed only which is unfortunate but seems to be a trend with mice, hopefully that will change! If you are looking for a mouse for work such as video/photo editing, this is a good choice.

Sony BDP-S3500 Blu-Ray Disc Player with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD (DLNA and Wi-Fi)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Wifi performance, good if you just was to play DVD/Blu-Ray., 5 Aug. 2015
Bought because I loved the idea of having access to netflix and dvds/blurays on one device. It does the latter just fine but will not connect to Netflix no matter what, despite every other device in our house being able to. Other apps connect fine although stream quality was very poor, wifi is definitely not "super" as they advertise. I'm giving it two stars because it has a dedicated netflix button on the remote and that service doesn't work on the device.

Very disappointed. Found a message board on Sonys forum with people having the same issue with different players and their supports was absolutely terrible.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2016 2:07 PM BST

Sony MDR-ZX110 Overhead Headphones - Black
Sony MDR-ZX110 Overhead Headphones - Black
Offered by UK Prime

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value headphones!, 19 April 2015
Cheap set of headphones that produce good sound and are comfortable! Not much to say just that they do the job for the price perfectly!

CamSmart Rig Movie Kit Shoulder Rig Mount, Support Pad for Video Camcorder DV Cameras, Canon 5D,7D,60D,550D,600D, Nikon D90 D7000 D5100 D3100 D300s, Sony A65 A55, A33, A580, A560,Panasonic GH1, Gh2, GH3 Pentax Olympus Sony Fuji DSLR
Offered by CamSmart

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 19 April 2015
Good value rig although the parts are a little loose and can only be tightened so much! The flexibility is also a bonus as it allows you to use the rig in different ways. We are using it for filming video and is a good size for having a DSLR camera on it.

PicknBuy Desk and Travel Portable, Fold-up Foldable Stand for Apple all iPad, iPad Mini / Samsung Galaxy Tab (7 Inch) for any Netbooks, Tablets or Devices for Display (Black)
Offered by PicknBuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for iPad Mini 2, 19 April 2015
Really good stand, nice having the option to mount iPad portrait or landscape. Build quality is pretty decent too considering the price! I use an iPad Mini 2 and it does the job very well! Would recommend!

Intersurgical Adult, Nasal Cannula with Straight Prongs and Tube, 1.8m
Intersurgical Adult, Nasal Cannula with Straight Prongs and Tube, 1.8m
Offered by Max Medsurge

5.0 out of 5 stars Used as prop, 19 April 2015
Used as a prop for a short film and worked looked the part!

Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 - Black (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)
Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 - Black (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headset, perfect for PS4, 25 Sept. 2014
Great headset for PS4. Easy to set up and the battery lasts for a long time, can also be used while charging too. The sound quality is really nice and has custom profiles when using the headset companion app available on the PS Store. Has been very good for chatting with people in game, not had any complaints. Would definitely recommend!

The Last Of Us Remastered - Day 1 Edition (PS4)
The Last Of Us Remastered - Day 1 Edition (PS4)
Offered by Whippet Media

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best looking PS3 games remastered to look like one of the PS4's best looking games!, 18 Aug. 2014
The Last of Us Remastered brings the Playstation 3's most highly rated and loved exclusive to the next gen and gives it a higher resolution, 60fps and better textures and lighting! Not to mention the Story DLC Left Behind and multiplayer DLC. If you haven't played the game before I completely recommend this game if you enjoy a post apocalyptic setting, fantastic story and brilliant survival gameplay. I can't say anything bad about this game because it is simply one of the best! If you have already played it on PS3 it is still worth it because of the higher resolution but more so the 60 fps and the Left Behind DLC if you missed that.

Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by gsm m

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value! Nothing like it., 22 April 2014
I upgraded from a Galaxy S3 Mini which cost me £190 last year for a sim free model, the Moto G cost me £158 a much better phone.

I've never owned a high-end phone like a iPhone or Galaxy S4/5 as I can't justify the cost of those phones for my needs. I wanted a quick smartphone that can do what I want. This phone is it.

Build:

First of all it is a nice looking phone, very simple but looks very sleek and the customizable backs allows for more personalization. The device has the lock button and volume controls on the right side which all feel nice. Headphone port is on the top of the phone and charging port is at the bottom. Compared to my S3 Mini it is bigger and a little bit thicker but not noticeable to be honest. The screen is a 4.5 HD (1280x720) which is super clear and also a luxury at this price point.

Camera:

The camera on the back is 5MP which is the same as the S3 mini, it takes good enough photos for facebook/instagram etc. Don't expect to be taking high quality shots with this phone, the front facing 1.3MP which of course is decent but not the best. I would say the camera is the worst part of the phone, which isn't bad to begin with!

Hardware:

The phone has a quad-core snapdragon processor which makes this phone super responsive and quick, I am genuinely surprised that I was able to buy a phone this fast for the price. I believe the phone has 1GB of ram which for some may not be enough but is fine for me. There is no SD card slot so you have a choice of either the 8GB model or 16GB, if you just use the phone for really simple tasks which won't involve you downloading apps, music, videos and images then get the 8GB which is considerably cheaper. I went for the 16GB because I like the extra space.

Software:

The Moto G comes with an almost stock Android KitKat 4.4, I say almost as there are a couple of motorola apps but not as much as say the S3 Mini would have had. Being on 4.4 is great because it is up to date and fast, I think Motorola will continue to update the phone due to it's popularity as well.

Battery Life:

This is a really important part of choosing a phone for me. The S3 Mini has a pretty good battery life because it had low specs and therefore didn't use as much power. This uses a lot more power but has 2070 mAh battery which compared to my S3 Mini which as 1500 it is quite bigger battery. As it is right now the battery on this device is fantastic, as I write this review my phone has been on for 1 days and 5 hours and is at 58%. The screen has been on for a total of 2 hours and 38 mins which isn't long but for a lot of that it was streaming netflix shows. I have had 6 hours of screen on time with the battery getting to about 20% before. Obviously it depends on usage but for me the battery is great.

Overall:

You can't go wrong with this phone to be honest, whether you want a cheap upgrade from a older phone or even a cheap backup this device is seriously probably gives the best value on the market. One thing to note is the phone doesn't come with a wall charger just a usb cable to charge so you will have to order a separate charger but they aren't expensive.

UPDATE:

Over six months with this phone and it is still amazing, absolutely worth the price. Still runs fast and the battery still lasts long.

Page: 1 | 2