Profile for kt > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Lion Heart
Lion Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lion Heart (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure about this book, having read some of the online reviews. However, I'm so glad I read it, it's a very interesting combination of threads drawn together from the past and the present with a focus on the Middle East. I have read most of Justin Cartwright's books and although they vary a great deal in setting and subject matter, the clarity, the insight, the supple prose and the sheer readability can be relied on. In the end they are all about people.

Daughters of the Storm
Daughters of the Storm

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 25 Jun 2014
I have enjoyed a number of other novels by Elizabeth Buchan, but I have to say I was very disappointed with this one. I think she's trying a bit too hard for effect. I've given it 3 stars partly because it was so cheap, and for that it could just about be considered OK as holiday reading. What really annoyed me are the number of typos. They are everywhere and of all types, I suppose this may be because the price is so low, and some of them are quite funny.... I particularly enjoyed a sentence about 'Fat' taking a hand (should be Fate I think!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2014 4:16 PM BST

Horatio Nelson
Horatio Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars another good read, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Horatio Nelson (Kindle Edition)
I read and enjoyed Tom Pocock's earlier book on Nelson, but this one is very different and has lots of different material. Personally I prefer this one. Very readable and with a flowing style that keeps you with it to the end.

HMS Amphion 1798
HMS Amphion 1798

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 4 April 2014
This review is from: HMS Amphion 1798 (Kindle Edition)
I found this an enjoyable and informative book. It isn't very long, and that's all to the good as there is no padding, just clear succinct and involving accounts of this important ship and these interesting times. Thank you.

Nelson and his World
Nelson and his World

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 2 Feb 2014
Tom Pocock obviously has excellent credentials as a writer and historian. I enjoyed this book, and found it a surprisingly easy read too. I'm certainly going to read more by this author.

The King in the North: The Life and Times of Oswald of Northumbria
The King in the North: The Life and Times of Oswald of Northumbria
by Max Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this., 28 Nov 2013
I don't have a lot to add to the previous reviews, except to say that this is such a readable book. I admire it (and also earlier books by Max Adams) for the elegant combination of good history and a fluent and chatty style.

Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare [DVD] [2010]
Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Ethan Spaulding
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one, 8 July 2013
We have quite a collection of these now, as my grandson, now 8, is an addict. This is a one of the better ones to my mind and he loves it too. It's a good story and doesn't seem padded out. the bonus items are good too. Good value.

Measle and the Dragodon
Measle and the Dragodon
by Ian Ogilvy

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know why this series isn't better known., 19 April 2013
My 8 year old grandson loved the first book in this series. My husband approves too as it reads aloud well - perhaps this is because Ian Ogilvy is an actor. This version is unusual with a sort of plastic cover - interesting and very good value.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 17 Mar 2013
I have some eye problems, particularly with reading in less than good light and find the Paperwhite excellent. It puts no strain on the eyes and is really easy to see in many different light conditions. I was a bit concerned that reading a lot of books on it would work out to be quite expensive, but with a mixture of new titles, some very cheap ones, free classics and the owners lending library, this has proved not to be the case. Incidentally, I think the Paperwhite is good value, but the case I bought, although good and useful seems very pricey by comparison. As to the classics, it is a real treat to be able to read them so easily, as many of my own copies have very small print or faded paper! I'm so glad I chose this version, as reading experience was my priority.

Scooby-Doo: The Ghoul School [DVD] [2003]
Scooby-Doo: The Ghoul School [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Charles B. Nicholas

2.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't bother - but my grandson would!, 16 Mar 2013
This seems a really feeble example of the Scooby Doo films, and the characters - girl ghouls and army cadets are pretty irritating. However, it's not too scary for the youngest Scooby fans, its cheap and it arrived promptly.
I'm adding this bit after a few weeks (19th April) and many viewings of this film! My grandson loves it, I'm not sure why, but then I'm not their target audience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4