Profile for Jan Erlam > Reviews

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

3.0 out of 5 stars All Hype, Bitterly Disappointing., 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I decided to give this book a go after learning it was to be a film and all the hype surrounding it. The hype was misleading. this novel is not nearly gripping enough at all. It is mediocre. There are so many other books around that are fast paced and well written, this alas was not one of those novels. After reading authors like Linwood Barclay, Tim Weaver and Grant McKenzie (the latter deserves more after reading this author.) this story was bland and annoying in part, Bitterly disappointed. Cant understand how it was opted to be a film.

Fall From Grace: David Raker Novel #5 (David Raker 5)
Fall From Grace: David Raker Novel #5 (David Raker 5)
by Tim Weaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds All expectations, Tim Weaver Gets Better And Better., 22 Aug 2014
Tim Weaver has officially risen to the top of my favourite author list. I though there is no way he could top his last book but he has surpassed all my expectations. David Raker makes my adrenaline pump, the tight corners her draws himself into. However the number of people who get into his house should make him invest in a good security system. I only learned about Tim Weaver last Christmas and read book 4 first. The book was so good I bought his others and Tim goes from strength to strength. This plot was not predictable at all. The surprises keep coming all the way to the end. It was fast paced did not leave room for boredom and the ending makes you rejoice at the promise. Few can ascribe to be as good a story teller as Tim Weaver, it is quite unlike me to gush, I find so many stories and reviews disappointing. Fall From Grace captivated and mesmerised me, I feel deflated now it is read. I urge people to buy this book set in one of my favourite places in my country around places I know, words are not good enough to express my praise.

Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
by Serena Valentino

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Look (at an old tale) With Surprising Revelations,, 10 Aug 2014
I am loving the new take on the stories I read as a child. This novel was a great read. It is so good to see it again from another angle and understand things by doing this. I love the old fairy tales and this book was good. The presentation was also pleasing something that looks wonderful on a book shelf and will stand the test of time. A very good story. Worth reading

Maleficent
Maleficent
by Elizabeth Rudnick

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Perspective That Shattersn a Myth., 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Maleficent (Hardcover)
The novelisation of the film was such an enjoyable story. It is great to read a story and not one padded out with battle scenes and prolonged. This story has very real moral to it, never judge someone until you have walked in their shoes. Loved it.

Emma Barclay Lille Patchwork 100% Cotton Quilted Bedspread Set, Blue, Single
Emma Barclay Lille Patchwork 100% Cotton Quilted Bedspread Set, Blue, Single
Offered by Linens Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Bought More., 10 Aug 2014
This bedspread was such good quality and value for money that I bought another one. Excellent service, excellent product.

The Spook's Revenge: Book 13 (Spooks Revenge 13)
The Spook's Revenge: Book 13 (Spooks Revenge 13)
by Joseph Delaney

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Series (that went on for too long and this really is NOT the end), 10 Aug 2014
Joseph Delaney is an exceptional talent as an older reader I have loved the spook series, though I think it went on too long. I loved the earlier books, the stories, the end became consumed in battles and grizzly detail. That said this series has been an enjoyable reading experience, It is good to have someone who can tell a story and that is what I love a good story. I was disappointed with the outcome, it all seemed rather strange especially the scenario with Alice which did not fit well in my opinion, then came the end or rather not the end. I feel deceived because this is not the end at all, it is now going on to more books, okay not all the characters are going through but the main ones are and in my opinion this is not an end.
I would rather the series have ended sooner, in all seemed to become dragged out towards the latter books padded out with individual tales. Sometimes less is more. I think all has been said that can be said and I am not sure I can go on to read more now, for it will be merely this story again, with alterations. That said Joseph Delaney is a great author and these books especially the early ones are fantastic.

Wheelchair shopping bag
Wheelchair shopping bag
Offered by everyCasa Europe

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't entertain it., 7 Aug 2014
I bought this as a gift for my Mum as we have had to buy a wheel chair for days out. I purchased it for her birthday in June. We took it with us for the first time today, tried to zip it and the thing ripped the whole way across . The bag is fit for nothing and was not worth paying the cost, it was not worth a pound let alone what I paid. One use and now bag is in bin cos I cannot return it because it has been too long.

Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase: Book 1 (Lockwood & Co 1)
Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase: Book 1 (Lockwood & Co 1)
by Jonathan Stroud

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book For Winter Nights(with just a booklight to read by), 5 Aug 2014
As a bookworm I read what catches my eye and despite being in my 50's I saw this and it intrigued me. I loved it. This is the kind of book I would have bought in my adolescence, it has all the factors that youngsters will love, a scary story, characters you can get involved with, a real page turner. So much better than some of the rubbish and repetition that is around for youngsters today. It is good to have a fresh and original text, not a retelling of a book you read somewhere before, rehashed in a different location. Lockwood, Lucy and George are believable, this is a book to curl up with on dark winter nights, with a book light allowing shadows to creep. I will be reading more of Mr Stroud and recommending him in the library where I work.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Different kind of Love Story both touching and humorous., 30 July 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
I chose this book for my holiday read and I chose wisely. The subject matter could have been morbid and morose but the way the author wrote the characters and the humour he injected, made this story so enjoyable, in a weird kind of way. I spent 7 months on a young peoples cancer and leukaemia ward with my son in the 80's and you would imagine laughter would be absent but amazingly laughter was a good medicine. This story was fictionalised and I was happy about that aspect that it gave hope to the story. Gus and Hazel were amusing and intelligent. I loved the way Hazel was honest about her mortality and best of all the way she loved reading and how involved she was with the story and how desperate she was to know the tale and the tales master. I became so involved in the narrative and it did not take me long to read. I was so touched by aspects of this story and I remembered some of the love stories from all those years ago, the ones that gave positivity to a diagnosis. It is a subject that some would not like to touch but sadly is a fact of life as is death and I had empathy with Hazel knowing only too well what it is like to lose someone and to try to find a way of dealing with it. The narrative was humorous and that was what made it all work so well and what made this a must read 'again'.,

Cop Town
Cop Town
by Karin Slaughter

3.0 out of 5 stars A Real Disappointment From An A List Author., 27 July 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Hardcover)
Karin Slaughter is one of my A list authors, up to now she has never disappointed. Her work is excellent and when I heard about Cop Town I was so excited but I was greatly disappointed. Normally I read a Karin Slaughter like an express train, this however was so hard to get into, slow going, nothing excited me at all. I usually put things aside to read Karin's books but this was so slow going and so annoying in part. I feel so disloyal to my author to have only negativity attached to this story it just did not grip me at all. I am sad that this was such a disappointing journey.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 1:11 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7