Profile for Paul Smithson > Reviews

Content by Paul Smithson

Paul Smithson "Detroit USA" (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Decision Points
Decision Points
by George W. Bush

1.0 out of 5 stars READS LIKE: SOMEONE TRYING TO DISTORT THE TRUTH WITH THE BLACKEST OF LIES, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Decision Points (Paperback)
I rented this book recently because I thought it would be amusing... it wasn't. I actually missed bu$h when he left office since he always used to make me laugh. I read it halfway, and then could not read it anymore. The only books couldn't finish were Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park and keith richard's autobiography...

Like Bu$h's recently unveiled paintings, this book was put out for the sole purpose of painting a completely different picture of a president to alter people's views on what Bu$h's administration did to the world in the 2000's. The painting are more deceptive in that immediately you are presented with the idea of a man who is caring and has a warm soul, whereas the book is a pathetic spagetthi junction of deception.

The fact that Bu$h also implies he himself is capable of writing a book is hilarious. In all probability, the thing was compiled by several of his footsoldiers and kindergarden tutors, with little input from the man himself. It stands as the darkest thing I've ever read...

TO LEARN THE TRUTH ABOUT BU$H AND HIS ADMIN, I IMPLORE YOU TO READ: SYNTHETIC TERROR: MADE IN THE USA by WEBSTER TARPLEY.

LOL QUOTES: 'I hope to paint a picture of what it was like to serve as president for 8 consequential years.'
'' You've got to try everything you can to avoid war,'' Dad told me in a conversation in 2002. ''But if the man won't comply, you don't have any other choice.''

Newbuild
Newbuild

2.0 out of 5 stars primitive dance x-perimentalist dance music, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Newbuild (Audio CD)
I don't necessarily judge something on the quality of it's age, but this is very very primitive sounding dance music. Most of the songs sound so basic they are unforgetable and lack any sort of character- basic to the extent that it sounds like something a 12 year old could knock up on a DJ basic programme downloaded from the web, or within a few clicks of a standard sythesizer from a catalogue shop. At best, it's a very very rough draft for the band's overall sound, but not one that is enjoyable to listen to. Sounds bloody ancient really, lol. You can downoad it quite easily, but don't buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2015 7:07 PM BST

The Very Best of The Smiths
The Very Best of The Smiths
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars cool anti industry 80s indy rock band, i liked the guitars, 30 Sept. 2012
I listened to this band and forced myself to because everyone said they were cool and all that when I was 19. A good proportion of the singer's songs are about homosexual sex, which is repulsive. As a vocalist, I find Morrisey dreary, annoying, and a little hilarious. Aside from the amazing guitar work by Johny Marr, it is beyond me why this ish was commercially succesful in a male orientated hardcore conservative decade like the 80s. All I can think of was that it was cool to piss orf the industry then. It's amazing the amount of crap that makes it into the charts, and all the good talent is lost in time...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2013 5:02 AM GMT

Toca
Toca

2.0 out of 5 stars the singles are the only decent songs, the rest is D-side filler, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Toca (Audio CD)
If you are thinking about buying this album, then you know the songs Toca's Miracle and You Are Alive- both monumental god-like dance songs that will be around until the day you die, and still sound as fresh as in the year when human cloning is approved for mass commercial production... the other songs on the album, I'm sorry to say, are disspointingly crap... they sound like after thought songs knocked up to full the gaps between the singles (if a group has a song or two., particularly in dance music. that everyone knows will be a top 5 hit, then the album itself is guaranteed to sell with that song on it, regardless of how awful the other music is)... dissapointingly also, the other singles that would follow afterwards by Fragma would be below horrid... you're probably better off downloading this one, but the actual records Toca's Miracle and You Are Alive are worth buying a single records for your collection...

Hysteria
Hysteria

1.0 out of 5 stars crap music, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
Pour Some Sugar On Me is the only decent song. The rest are crap. You can listen to the full thing on youtube. some of the songs would sound better played live with the amps turned upto 11- you wouldn't even know it's crap.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2013 10:37 PM GMT

Lipstick Traces - A Secret History
Lipstick Traces - A Secret History

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG!!! 2 CDs of the CRAP!!! Arrrghhhh!!!!! >o<, 23 Jun. 2012
I first heard the MSP when I heard 'Judge Yerself' on kerrang in 2003 just before I went to Art college. The song struck me as truely awesome, and I figured the band who made it must be something of geniuses- not the case- having listened to this b-side (more like F side album) and the entire MSP discography, this is a band who has had a couple of okay albums, then gone onto release half arsed moderate brit radio rock to fufil their 6 album contract. Infact, Judge Yerself is the only decent origional song on this album, and, as great as it is, it's not worth the time it takes of going online to order it, opening it and sticking it in your CD player, the 2 hours of your time it will wastefully sponge-up, then having to have to go to the trouble of selling it 2nd hand/or the energy you will expell from destroying it. Wrote For Luck, which is origionally a cover by the detestable happy mondays manc monkey band actually works. You can download this album somewhere just for Judge Yerself, then send the rest of it to your recycle bin. I actually upped the BPM on my media player to get through it faster- listening to it was reminscent of being a kid with car sickness and the driver is smoking a cheap cigarette brand with sh*te laying from the radio. It also reminded me of russel crowe singing songs drunk. So all in all, this bolox was just released for the £££££££ , not for people's enjoyment. Listening to this drunk I would probably be inclind to conteplate suicidal acts if I couldn't evade it by smashing the CD player or running out the house.

Journal for Plague Lovers
Journal for Plague Lovers
Offered by b68solutions

1.0 out of 5 stars holy cow that was crap!, 23 Jun. 2012
I got this album on 2 discs? but deleted the 2nd disc after listening to the first one. It was horrible! >.<

What possesed them to release this rubbish? All the waste of people's time and money (everyone who was involved making it, and the buyers!) money could be going on more important things like HIV or cancer research! I would only use ths crap as bonfire fuel! If I was a musician, I wouldn't even play this crap to annoy someone!

I actually upped the BPM on my media player to get through it faster (just as I'm doing this minute with the Manic's Lipstick b-side/g-side album) I don't even recomend downloading it!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2013 8:33 PM BST

Happy Mondays : Greatest Hits
Happy Mondays : Greatest Hits
Offered by Great Price Media EU

1.0 out of 5 stars crap band, why successful?, 23 Jun. 2012
I've never understood why this band was so successful/iconic for? It's just a bunch of manks behaving daft on drugs (as alot of bands do= that by the way has being going on since the dawn of time), the music is really annoying, sounds horrible and takes the piss, WFL is the only song that I can stomach. I don't get any joy from sean ryder singing, infact when I hear it I crave ear plugs! This means any idiot can form a band providing they start pissing around on instruments from age 18. Their manager Tony Wilson (who managed New Order= my fave band), sure is one arty farty snotty nob choosing a band this crap- I'm sure he seen them with a middle clarse fine art bolox poetic eye.

The industry sure did put alot of crap out there... thank ja for download now.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2012 1:08 AM BST

Send Away The Tigers
Send Away The Tigers
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

2.0 out of 5 stars crap overall, 21 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Send Away The Tigers (Audio CD)
The first song starts off promising with nice guitars and what not, and you think just maybe this could be a somewhat decent album. There's another couple of okayish songs, nothing that blows you off your socks though. Alot of songs by this band I can't relate to and it sounds like they take the piss or something.

I sometimes think after 4 albums or so, most bands know they've depleted their creative reservoirs, and so just carry on releasing records because of their contract and are not at all bothered about making a decent album, or don't give a f about it for that matter.

Download it, don't buy it.

Gold Against The Soul
Gold Against The Soul
Offered by Leisurezone

1.0 out of 5 stars nothing particulary special, 21 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Gold Against The Soul (Audio CD)
Just listened to the entire CD a few days ago- nothing about the songs screamed out to me as particulary great or stand out or anything. For the most part, the album bored the crap out of me- the only thing that actually kept me listening to it was the thought that I could look forward to the end of it, then writing this reviewing, slating it. You can't even listen to this CD in a car as background filler on low volume, since listening to it will just make the journey more tedious and take longer to get through. The 1st MSP album and their 2001 one are the ones than have more killer than filler or lazy sparse C-D side songs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12