Profile for Alexander Kreator > Reviews

Content by Alexander Kreator

Alexander Kreator (Norfolk England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fiction read of 2014 so far - roll on book three, 27 July 2014
Cover 3/5 - Not sure about connection with content.

Content - Harry Potter not being my cup of tea and giving up on The Casual Vacancy I did wonder whether I would ever like a J K Rowling book. Cuckoos' calling generated much enthusiasm for Stroke and Robin. This book great enjoyment. A little on the long side.

What is it which made the book so enjoyable? I like Strike and Robin his temporary secretary, the who done it background provides an easy hook to read on, some lovely scenes and views of London and writing as technical background.

Comments against my own reading criteria for a good book

* Engrossing and interesting - yes scores highly in this area with many hooks to keep the pages turning. Up to date setting.

* Enjoyment - Yes the best fiction book this year. I really got a buzz from the writing with some very nice scenes which resonated with me as a new writer. I would recommend the book as a good set book for new writers especially on the art of description.

* Entertainment - Yes some good laughs and chuckles especially from Robin's activities.

* Emotional - Not too high in this area. I did not really get too involved with any of the plot characters but found Cormoran Strike and Robin perhaps another Holmes and Watson sleuthing partnership in the making.

* Educational - perhaps a true reflection of the literary world.

* Ease of reading - My overall feeling was of more telling than showing so perhaps this is one factor why I liked the book.

Endings are important to me and generally I do not like the happily ever after variety. Ending satisfactory but by then disappointed the scenes did not carry on so I will have to wait until the next book.

Overall as with Cuckoo's Calling I am pleased I have at last found books from J K Rowling I enjoyed reading even with some of the society and social sniping of the Casual Vacancy.

Alexander of Allrighters and Ywnwab!

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith

4.0 out of 5 stars At last some Rowling I am enjoying reading - a great read, 12 July 2014
Cover 3/5 - Nearly there ... perhaps a tent over a body with a police presence would have given a better pictorial picture.

A nice library edition in large print is proving a good read. I like Strike and his temporary secretary and the way the plot is developing ... 40% through and going well. I will read on and give a fuller review.

14 7 14 - Now I realise the reason for the title. Story is dragging a little because this book like so many these days is TOO LONG

Finished 16 7 14 - Now some comments against my own reading criteria for a good book

* Engrossing and interesting - yes scores highly in this area with many hooks to keep the pages turning even when the book gets a little hard going in the middle. Up to date setting.

* Enjoyment - Yes one of the best this year. I really got a buzz from the writing with some very nice scenes which resonated with me as a new writer. Apart from being too long I would recommend the book as a good set book for new writers especially on the art of description.

* Educational - family backgrounds, money, high life in media fashion and films ... close to the truth?

Endings are important to me and generally I do not like the happily ever after variety. Ending satisfactory but I have a fundamental unanswered question and query which may mean I have to read the book again. This will not be a hardship.

Overall I am pleased I have at last found a J K Rowling book I enjoyed reading even with some of the society and social sniping of the Casual Vacancy.

Alexander of Allrighters and Ywnwab!

Night of the Assassin: (Assassin Series Prequel)
Night of the Assassin: (Assassin Series Prequel)

3.0 out of 5 stars I read this book as a change from Jet., 7 July 2014
Cover 4/5 - Says everything one wants to know ... is the resemblance to Tom Cruise incidental? Of course he was too small for Jack Reacher.

Contents

I assess the book against by six "E" Tests.

Engrossing and interesting - Yes the drug cartels and loss of life all quite depressing.

Enjoyment - Ok but with my current dose of thriller fatigue I fear it will slip from my memory

Entertainment - Engaging as a quick read, very pacy as usual from Russell Blake

Emotional - With so much death and cruelty my emotions were rather blunted

Educational - Drug cartels, guns and killing tradecraft.

Ease of reading - Well written, good story content and structure.

I cannot say I will rush to read the later books in the series.

Love, Of a Kind
Love, Of a Kind

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge thank you, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Love, Of a Kind (Kindle Edition)
Cover 4/5 - great as he struggles to live

Contents - Until I found Felix's poetry the genre was a closed book. Felix died last week. A great loss. My thanks to him for his delightful poetry, wonderful sculpture garden in Dorsington and the Heart of England Forrest.

May he RIP

Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab! ( The latter includes a story about a visit to his house.)

How To Sell A Gazillion eBooks In No Time
How To Sell A Gazillion eBooks In No Time

3.0 out of 5 stars Gerald Ratner would be pleased, 29 Jun 2014
Cover 4/5 - Write and sell ?

Content - Certainly no dull read on the subject ... but far too long. Hardly surprising given his ease with words. Interesting spotting the real from the parody. The real as usual easier said than done. Even in time Gerald Ratner wrote a book about his gaff!

I read on ...

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

4.0 out of 5 stars Never read a book before with over 4000 reviews, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Cover 4/5 Simple stand out from the pile of pretty covers. Cover comments all over the top. Marie Claire comment amended to start ... After a slow start, ratcheting up the tension ... would be probably the most accurate.

Content - Not a book I would normally read but I picked up a copy for £1.20 in a charity shop. Billed as a thriller but to me a who done it.

I comment against my six "Es" .

Ease of reading - I do not think the words flowed very well. As I write in a structure where scenes move about in time this structure was not a problem although definition of a marriage and anniversary date would have helped navigation of the early chapters.

Engrossing and interesting - My editor says only 40% of books are read to completion. Another contact says they reach 50 pages and make a decision whether to read on or not. I could have stopped after 50 pages but decided to go for a 100 with a view to stopping and was about to do so when I read page 98 and at last a hook had been provided for me to read on. The book improved thereafter with several surprises and powerful hooks making the book hard to put down after page 150..

Enjoyment - At present I have no particular warm feelings towards the book and characters as a whole- but these could grow on reflection.

Entertainment - I chuckled and laughed about many of the mixed bunch of both stereotypical and nightmare characters.

Educational - I suppose there are some nightmare people out there as depicted in whole or part. I think there was quite a bit of psychological theory being expressed in the book.

Emotional - Not a good advertisement for marriage. I had no particular empathy with the characters apart from being sad for them so am quite surprised I finished the book.

Overall - I am glad I persevered with reading Gone Girl as being unusual and have given it four stars for this reason alone. Book far too long and for me an unsatisfactory ending. I am unlikely to read again. Anytime I hear about an Amy I am sure I will remember the Amazing Amy. Pity for other Amys everywhere!

Touch Wood - The Autobiography of the 1953 Le Mans Winner
Touch Wood - The Autobiography of the 1953 Le Mans Winner

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to see this book re issued, 25 Jun 2014
Cover 5/5 - Spot on with content and greatest success.

Contents - One of the great reads from my past. The same appears to be true for Chris Evans who introduces the re issue.

Duncan Hamilton one of the larger than life characters from this dangerous period of motor racing.

Comet! The World's First Jet Airliner
Comet! The World's First Jet Airliner
by Graham M. Simons

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased after visiting DH and Mosquito museum in South Mimms UK, 22 Jun 2014
Cover 5/5 Says everything about what is in the book

Contents - I have read several sections in the book before getting down to a complete read and what I have read so far is most interesting and fully lives up to my expectations. I read on ...

Trading Reality
Trading Reality

3.0 out of 5 stars Supposedly this book earnt him a million pounds, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Trading Reality (Kindle Edition)
Cover n/a as readers digest edition

Contents - I read his introduction to How to Write a Mi££ion where it is stated he made lots of money from this book and the publishers were falling over themselves to publish the book.

SO ON FINISHING THIS BOOK I FOUND IT TO BE A RELATIVE DISAPPOINTMENT

Maybe times have moved on and perhaps the book would have been competitive in the 1990s. It has certainly added to my thriller fatigue.

Also read this week Upon a Pale Horse by Russell Blake which co-incidentally has another brother dying and a chase and is altogether a more thought provoking book.

Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!

Freezing Point (Point Series Book 1)
Freezing Point (Point Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as part of a pack so a new author to me, 22 Jun 2014
Cover 3/5 - Per cover on this page

Contents

Interesting start and technical theme ... we read on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20