Profile for Alexander Kreator > Reviews

Content by Alexander Kreator

Alexander Kreator (Norfolk England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Pennine Journey: The Story of a Long Walk in 1938
A Pennine Journey: The Story of a Long Walk in 1938
by Alfred Wainwright
Price: 7.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable read, 12 Feb 2014
Presentation

Cover in this Amazon version says it all trademark signature and a long level path.

Contents

What made this book to me was the recording of the uncertain background of war about to break out, especially. Wainwright's concern for the fate of B&Bs where he stayed and his asides.

A nice little book of living history.

Alexander of Allrighters and Ywnwab!

The Gift of Rain
The Gift of Rain
by Tan Twan Eng
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars I could not resist starting this any longer ... now I have I am not sure, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Paperback)
Presentation

Cover 2/5 - not the one in Amazon picture - is nondescript although back cover comments useful and an indicator of possible reading delights to come.

Content

After having read Garden of the Evening mists and making the book joint Allrighters' fiction book of 2013 I thought I would leave some space before reading this book. Given some pretty poor starts to reading many other books already this year I quickly found delight in the Gift of Rain as I picked up on the high quality of writing and story telling of the previous book.

I read on ...I feel another five star rating coming

Finished 12 2 14

All in all a much more difficult read both in terms of the historical background of the Japanese invasion and occupation of Malaya and the marshal arts.

After a fine start to the book and clues to the outcome the pre invasion part of the book was for me far too long. If I had not read Garden of the Evening Mists first then I do not think I would have read The Gift of Rain through to completion.

I have recently read a number of non fiction books about prisoners of the Japanese. This book paints a vivid picture of what life may have been like in Malaya for those left behind and the reasons for the post war communist actions.

Given recent events the difficult relationships between Japanese and Chinese do not appear to have changed.

A worthwhile solid fiction history read. Although I may read The Garden of the Evening Mists again I do not think I will read The Gift of Rain again unless in future the memory of reading the book, in this or a future life, causes a change of mind. Time will tell.

Alexander of the Allrighters, A Reader of History and Ywnwab!

The Library of Unrequited Love
The Library of Unrequited Love
by Sophie Divry
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Given this book with a pile of others by Inkplotters, 9 Feb 2014
Presentation

Waterstones Book Club Edition. I like the presentation as the cover sets the scene. Small book format is a nice change not representing such a huge wall of words to climb. 4/5

Content

A staright read through no chapters headings

A good wake up start ... we read on is this going to be a delight or a disappointment? ... we wonder.

Alexander of the Allrighters, Ywnwab! and the Inkplotters - The Leamington Spa Writers who loaned us this book.

The Last Word
The Last Word
by Hanif Kureishi
Price: 11.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Given this book in a pile of others by Lsp Writers - Inkplotters, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Last Word (Hardcover)
Presentation

Simple stand out cover which says nothing about the contents that I can see. 3/5

Content

By accident received this book when a TV programme on BBC about the author. Books about writers do promise much and I will have to see. The first few pages read well enough and set the scene for a clash of minds. My benchmark is Howard Jacobson's Zoo Time.

We read ... on Alexander of the Allrighters Ywnwab and the Leamington Spa Writers.

To the Kwai and Back: War Drawings 1939 - 1945
To the Kwai and Back: War Drawings 1939 - 1945
by Ronald Searle
Price: 20.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to find the right words, 8 Feb 2014
I had seen a copy of this book before and I was reminded of it when seeing the Railwayman Film when Patti looked through the book to learn about what Eric had experienced.

Eric Lomax in his book and Ronald in this book in both the words and pictures with the grim statistics of those young men who did not return give more depth to the inscription on the Kohima war cemetary memorial.

"When you go home
Tell them of us and say,
For your tomorrow,
we gave our today."

Harold Atcherley's book Prisoner of Japan also provides detailed background of the time.

Thinking about myself and my children at their age when prisoners I find it hard to grasp how young people in their early twenties found the reserves of strength to survive when isolated from everything else in their previous lives.

Hopefully with these records in pictures and text the awful and sad events described will not be forgotten.

Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy)
Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy)
by Ken Follett
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars A heavy hardback version, 7 Feb 2014
I have started to read but already think there are too many characters and the writing is less easy to read than Len Deighton's Winter book which is a benchmark for assessing Ken Follett's latest tome ... We read on Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 7:23 AM GMT

Your Prostate What Every Man over 40 Needs to Know Now
Your Prostate What Every Man over 40 Needs to Know Now
by Chet Cunningham

3.0 out of 5 stars I loaned this to my brother in 2002 and he has just returned it, 7 Feb 2014
This is quite an old book now and one wonders whether things have moved on or not. We read on to see ...

Steam
Steam
by Colin Garratt
Price: 14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Not another engine book ... my wife cried out, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Steam (Hardcover)
Presentation

Well yes my dear ... and I thought it will probably not be the last either. Very attracting and emotive cover 5/5

Content

My copy of the book had several pages of un-captioned photos at the front of the book before the traditional start pages. A cover note says most of the engines have or will have been scrapped now. A fitting epitaph.

I usually now prefer videos to books but this marks an exception especially as many photos are of engines who's sound days have already expired.

Well done a great book.

Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!

100 Ways To Publish and Sell Your Own Ebook
100 Ways To Publish and Sell Your Own Ebook
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoyed no index for a start ..., 5 Feb 2014
Presentation and content

Cover 2/5 as the book says judge your book by your cover ... some of the lists are useful ... we read on Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!

Prisoner of Japan: A Personal War Diary, Singapore, Siam & Burma 1941-1945
Prisoner of Japan: A Personal War Diary, Singapore, Siam & Burma 1941-1945
by Sir Harold Atcherley
Price: 14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad Harold Atcherley decided to publish to help the record of this forgotten war., 5 Feb 2014

Perhaps a human figure on the cover would be helpful. 3/5

Content

Good flow and content so far in what we have read. We read on ...

Finished 9 2 14

An interesting and educating book of privations and survival in extreme circumstances after an apparent shambles in the loss of Singapore.

A recipe for survival ... reading, music, hope of an ending, a streak of bloody mindedness and having a cholera jab.

A chapter at the end would have been a useful addition about return to life after 1945 - physical recovery and long term mental outcomes and a small point of interest - some explanation of exact system where the officers received pay and paid for food would have been helpful. I re-read the introduction but this did not go far enough.

Book a little on the long side but this did convey the length of captivity cut off from home and the rest of the world apart from radio news and a few long delayed letters.

A memorable read and this and other reading on the same subject should ensure this war is not a forgotten war any longer on my bookshelf. When I think back to where I have come across this part of WW2 before in my life in meeting friends and relations this 'forgotten war' has almost been self enforcing because people have been unwilling to talk about what happened maybe because events were so awful and so far way.

Alexander of Allrighters and Ywnwab.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20