Profile for omelette > Reviews

Draper Expert 13919 75 mm 3/8-Inch Square Drive Wobble Extension Bar
Offered by BuildSaver
Price: 4.30

3.0 out of 5 stars OK., 23 Aug 2013
Didn't realise this was of the 'wobble' variety when I ordered it as a replacement for a near-identical Draper extension that I had twisted the head off of. Needles to say, I intend to be much gentler with this one. Seems nice and the wobble no doubt proves useful in tight spots.

PROFLEX EXTRA THIN 115mm x 1.0mm INOX
PROFLEX EXTRA THIN 115mm x 1.0mm INOX
Offered by Pebbles Pink
Price: 6.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thin., 23 Aug 2013
I've done no serious cutting with these yet so don't know how they will wear with use. But their thinness make them ideal where there is 'delicate' cutting required. As mentioned by others, they come in a snazzy metal tin, which is nice.

Am-Tech 115mm Metal Grinding Disc (3 Pieces)
Am-Tech 115mm Metal Grinding Disc (3 Pieces)
Price: 4.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing expiration date., 23 Aug 2013
These seem quite capable. The only thing I noticed was that there seems to be no expiration date engraved on them or on their packaging.

Silverline 918557 Cleaning and Polishing Kit 10-Piece 6mm
Silverline 918557 Cleaning and Polishing Kit 10-Piece 6mm
Offered by Energy Efficient Systems
Price: 14.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably OK., 23 Aug 2013
Nice selection. Nothing to get too excited about though. The piece with the sandpaper seemed to be wearing quickly in use. The others are fairly sturdy, so should last. I'm reasonably happy with my purchase.

Skil 9030 600W 115 mm Angle Grinder
Skil 9030 600W 115 mm Angle Grinder
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than expected., 23 Aug 2013
As someone who has used full-sized grinders in the past, and already knowing that this model was naturally 'petite', I was nevertheless surprised at how small it was. But having used it for a while, it's perfect for what I normally need to cut/grind - so it's size is not a negative if all you're interested in doing is light work.

My only potential criticism might involve its (surprise, surprise) on/off switch. Like most seem to note concerning grinders, it's fairly stiff - intentional no doubt, and a plus imo! What seems less less reliable though is its lock-in-ON-position switch mechanism - it's an all-plastic affair whose operation is hard to explain but involves the 'lip' of one part sliding into a groove in another to lock in place. The thing is that the lip is at most only about 3mm deep and has that already-mentioned powerful spring to contend with. I visualise it wearing pretty quickly with use, to the point where it will no longer reliably hold the spring at bay and keep switching off. Then again, it's imo a good brand-name,so maybe its designers thought of this too - only time will tell.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this purchase.

Holts PR1R 100g Copperpaste
Holts PR1R 100g Copperpaste
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value., 8 July 2013
This is good value if you don't need a huge tin of grease that you know you will never use. Some Sellers are looking for the same money for as little as 25g, so this compares very favourably in that respect.

I needed this after a so-called 'professional' mechanic failed to use any anti-seize grease when changing my brake-pads, resulting in - you guessed it - seized brakes, which caused the brake discs to almost glow with the heat! This excess heat seems to have also been the reason I managed to shear a wheel-stud on the same car when attempting to un-seize my brakes! So I now also use this grease on my wheel-nuts as well.

Recommended.

Faithfull SOC1219 19mm Hexagon Socket Chrome Vanadium 1/2-inch Drive
Faithfull SOC1219 19mm Hexagon Socket Chrome Vanadium 1/2-inch Drive
Offered by ITF UK
Price: 2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., 8 July 2013
I needed this to remove utterly-stuck wheel studs from a car that had been left up for 7 years. I had already twisted the top off of a Draper Expert extension bar in a failed attempt. But with a Sealey Breakers bar and this socket I had the wheels off in no time.

Seems a quality socket that will probably outlast me, so recommended.

Sealey 600mm 1/2-inch sq Breaker Bar Drive
Sealey 600mm 1/2-inch sq Breaker Bar Drive
Offered by KING_TOOLS
Price: 11.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable., 8 July 2013
I was first going to buy one of the extendable wheel braces until Amazon displayed this as an alternative. As most of these are around 500mm, the extra 100mm you get with this bar caught my eye.

I needed this to remove wheel studs from an old car that had been left up for 7 years. It's own wheel brace actually bent when trying to loosen the studs. In fact, none of the studs on any of the wheels would loosen. I then twisted the stop off a 3/8" Draper Expert extension bar in another attempt. But with this bar and a 'Faithful' 19mm socket, I soon had all four wheels removed. That extra length really allows you to deliver considerable pressure in a consistent manner. This I feel is important - I have already sheared a wheel-stud on another car, from jumping on its wheel-brace in an attempt to remove the wheel! And even though the torque required to loosen the studs was considerable, easily enough to propel the car forward, with this bar I didn't even have to exert myself.

Highly recommended, especially at this price.

Black & Decker KR554CRESK 550 Watt Corded Drill
Black & Decker KR554CRESK 550 Watt Corded Drill
Price: 35.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonky chuck..., 8 July 2013
The quality-control inspection team at Black & Decker must have been having an off-day when my drill was manufactured. One of the three chuck-jaws is noticeably shorter then the other two, by about 2mm. I would have written this off as an aberration but for having had already come across a customers review describing the very same problem. There he actually ground the other two jaws down flush with the short one!

Despite this, the chuck still seems to hold the drill bit securely and I'm actually very pleased with the drill itself. In fact this would have earned 5-stars but for the chuck.

Silverline 427629 G-Clamp Light Duty 150mm
Silverline 427629 G-Clamp Light Duty 150mm
Price: 4.67

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a G-clamp., 8 July 2013
I got this to depress the braking piston when changing break pads and it was well up to the job. In fact a 100mm G-clamp would probably have done the job, but a failure to visualise at the time of ordering resulted in me opting for this one. However it seems quite strong and was well worth its asking price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5