Profile for NTD > Reviews

Content by NTD

NTD (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Perixx PERIPAD-201PLUS, Numeric Keypad for Laptop - Black - USB - Full Size 19 Keys - Big Print Letters - Silent X Type Scissor Keys
Offered by Perixx UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - so much better than a laptop numeric keypad ..., 22 May 2016
Great - so much better than a laptop numeric keypad if you're inputting lots of numbers into a spreadsheet, for example. Simple plug and go.

Monument 450p D.I.Y. Tap Reseating Tool
Monument 450p D.I.Y. Tap Reseating Tool

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Worked a treat, 22 May 2016
Excellent. Worked a treat.

DIRT BOOT NYLON CHEST WADERS WATERPROOF FLY COARSE FISHING MUCK WADER VARIOUS SIZES (Mens size 10 (44))
Offered by Koala Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Fully leak-proof, 22 May 2016
Excellent. Fully leak-proof.

2.5LTR - LEYLAND TRADE HIGH GLOSS MAGNOLIA
2.5LTR - LEYLAND TRADE HIGH GLOSS MAGNOLIA
Offered by Decor8

5.0 out of 5 stars Leyland make excellent paint: I've bought several tins or pots and ..., 22 May 2016
Leyland make excellent paint: I've bought several tins or pots and it's always thick with pigment. It might seem strange buying paint through the post but it arrived extremely promptly, was excellently wrapped and I'll be doing it again. No Austin Allegro jokes needed, thank you.

Bartoline Patent Knotting
Bartoline Patent Knotting

5.0 out of 5 stars and excellent product. Just remember that you need methylated spirits ..., 22 May 2016
Cheapest on Amazon at time of purchase, and excellent product. Just remember that you need methylated spirits to clean your brush afterwards so you may want to order some of that at the same time.

Town & Country Medium Premium Heavy Duty Gauntlet Gardening Gloves
Town & Country Medium Premium Heavy Duty Gauntlet Gardening Gloves

2.0 out of 5 stars I found the best way to grasp brambles using these gloves is to ..., 22 May 2016
Perhaps we have extra tough brambles but when clearing a bank of brambles recently these DID NOT prove prick-resistant. I found the best way to grasp brambles using these gloves is to slowly tighten your grip on the bramble whilst pulling against the rooted stem; this way the sliding action breaks the thorns and you don't get pricked. But if you just grasp the bramble you will get pricked - I did, many times. Also, the leather ripped the first time I used the gloves. I don't think the product description says they're bramble-proof (nettle-proof, yes) but I suspect many customers buy them expecting them to be bramble-proof, but bramble-proof they're not, in my painful experience.

Pingtek Blueline 305mm (12") Double Bevel 2000w Sliding compound mitre saw with A/c laser 230v
Offered by Pingtek Power Tools Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT AND WORTH EVERY PENNY, 2 Mar. 2016
Fantastic saw. Replaces my much-loved but worn-out old saw. These saws are extremely useful and save a huge amount of time and wasted timber as they give an accurate cut first time: it's possible to skim off a millimetre of timber to get exactly the correct length in a way you just can't do with a handsaw. Quite expectedly you are required to check the alignment of the blade after its journey in the post, but mine was spot-on in both directions. Slightly cheaper direct from Pingtek UK with excellent customer service.

Apple 2GB iPod Shuffle - Space Grey
Apple 2GB iPod Shuffle - Space Grey
Offered by Unique daily deals

1.0 out of 5 stars APPLE'S DROPPED THE BALL, 18 Sept. 2015
I'm happy to delete this comment if readers think it unfair - just comment and let me know and I will. When new my iPod would have got 5 stars, and it's still the most beautiful and elegant mechanism I own. But... several years on, iTunes (the software needed on your PC to make the iPod works) is just refusing to work with the iPod, so I'm now stuck with the tunes that are on my iPod and I can't change them. Before everyone tells me what to do, I've read all the blogs and Apple's own help-page on its website, and nothing has corrected the problem. I have the latest version of iTunes, I'm using an Apple cable, I've tried uninstalling and re-installing iTunes - still no good. It really was a fantastic piece of equipment but the online updates to iTunes messed it all up for me. The only recommendation I can make is that when Apple asks if you want to update your iTunes software that you don't. That's what messed it up for me. I haven't seen it stated as such but my guess is that Apple's iTunes no longer works with older versions of Windows (I have Vista, which is still supported by Microsoft, but not apparently Apple).

Other problems, apart from simply being unable to change the songs on the iPod are: iTunes simply refusing to open, no matter trying the five different ways of opening a programme; freezing of the laptop, freezing of the mouse, and many times having to restart my laptop by pulling out the power cable and unplugging the battery. I mean, for goodness's sake, it's 2015, not the 1990s when software would crash several times during the day. Perhaps if you're buying an iPod for the first time, haven't installed iTunes before, and are using the very recent Windows or Mac operating systems you may not have any problems - but, much to my regret because it is such a beautiful and elegant product, I simply can't recommend a product that now not only doesn't work, but scrambles my laptop too. Pity. Apple, with such dizzying aspirations you've dropped the ball in other areas. Steve Job would hate this I'm sure.

Perhaps when I buy a new laptop in a year or two's time the new Windows operating system will work OK with iTunes, but for now I'm likely to buy a non-iTunes MP3 player like a Sandisk, which doesn't rely on an iTunes programme to make it work (you just copy the files across as you would onto a USB stick, for example). A sad ending to a wonderful love affair.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2015 7:12 PM GMT

Gravity [DVD] [2013]
Gravity [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by streetsahead

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING AFTER ALL THE HYPE, 4 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Gravity [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Brilliant CGI and a moving performance by Sandra Bullock, but the music was cliched and intrusive (like the music in Avatar); the plot was too simple; the lack of human backstory (despite Bullock's character's nominal backstory) and human interaction was extremely limiting in terms of viewer enjoyment; the technical fictions too powerful (on finding herself in a Chinese spacecraft where the knobs are labelled in Chinese Bullock says "Eenie meenie minee mo" and randomnly pushes buttons which beyond believability achieve what she wants). Yes, the final disaster (plot-spoiler warning) where she nearly drowns at the end (come on you knew she was going to survive) seems almost one too many problems until you realise the penultimate denouement satisfyingly means she heads up towards the sky, rather than disasterously down towards the earth.

The only real moment of interest is when Clooney's character asks her to challenge her perception of her life, and, as you'll discover, that's a bit of an ephemeral moment.

Although just as lacking in human backstory, Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey' is a much deeper philosophical study of isolation (with a very affecting musical score); and Nicholas Roeg's 'Walkabout' similarly explores the same views of isolation in Nature; both films do so with much greater class and style than 'Gravity', stunning as the CGI in the latter is. See if you can spot the buzzing insects in 'Gravity' and compare it to their use in 'Walkabout'.

Honda UMK 435 UE 35cc 4-stroke Bike-type Handle Petrol Brushcutter
Honda UMK 435 UE 35cc 4-stroke Bike-type Handle Petrol Brushcutter

5.0 out of 5 stars INSTANTLY ONE OF MY FAVOURITE TOOLS, 4 Sept. 2015
Fantastic bit of kit. We are moving to a rural home with acres of years'-long undergrowth including brambles and very young saplings - at first I used an electric strimmer and then I used our Honda petrol strimmer. Utterly no comparison: the Honda blitzes through growth like a hot knife through butter; the electric strimmer like a feather against a breeze block. If I'd kept using the electric stimmer I'd probably have spent more money on new strimmer cable than the Honda itself, and the Honda feels so solidly built that I'm sure it will last the lifetime of several electric stimmers. So in that respect it's good value too. Yes, it is too powerful for trimming the edges of lawns (it'll throw up several inches of turf if you go off piste), and if you only have a small area that you regularly keep strimmed an electric strimmer will do the job, but for anything more challenging this is the one to have. Instantly has become one of my favourite tools. And starts first time every time, too. Top marks, Honda.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5