Profile for Nina > Reviews

Content by Nina

Nina (Denmark)

The Yellow Wallpaper (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Yellow Wallpaper (Dover Thrift Editions)
by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece?, 28 Nov. 2010
This is strictly a review of The Yellow Wallpaper, not the other stories which I haven't read.

This was one of my favourite readings ever. I have a preference for stories that explore the darker sides of the human mind. The stories featuring sick and broken individuals. This short story is written in diary form, which makes the experience much more intense. From the crazy woman's scribblings in the story you get a clear image of how sick and isolated she really is. The story starts out rather normal and then you slowly follow the decay of a human mind. Interesting and haunting.

The Shining
The Shining
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars By far one of my favourite stories, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Shining (Hardcover)
I have tried to find out if books can give you the same feeling of fear like when watching scary movies. Apparently I have a very vivid imagination, because this book really scared me. First I was very sceptical because I feel Stephen King is selling books more because of his name, and not because of his talent. I would love to see one of his books where his name is not covering 50 % of the front cover, making only small room for the title. Plus, I had previously tried reading Misery (which I did not even finish) and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and was not very impressed.
However, this book scared me so much and that is why I love it so much. Especially one particular scene, where the little boy, the protagonist, is trapped in a tube scared me and I am still haunted in my dreams by disfigured, crawling children.
However, I can't give the book 5 stars because I simply thought the intro/beginning was too long and boring. So long and boring that I almost made the mistake of quitting rest of the book.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2010 4:40 PM GMT

My Booky Wook
My Booky Wook
by Russell Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching use of humour as a defence mechanism, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I live in Denmark, thus I have never experienced various Russell Brand media dramas that have been. It seems to me like he is a man who has divided up Britain: either you love him passionately or you hate him passionately. Not being a part of this I guess that helped me read this book without prejudices.
I must say I was really moved by his story. Why? He has told his story beautifully, in a vivid language. In this autobiography Russell is having an ironic distance to really horrible events in his life. This ironic distance is what makes the book so good because it really shows how much it has affected him and that makes it extremely personal. I think his defence mechanism is his humour and using humour describing situations that are anything but humorous really gives you an insight into his bruised past. The pages are filled with humour, but the story is full of sorrow.

Thanks For Nothing
Thanks For Nothing
by Jack Dee

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
I love Jack Dee as a stand-up comedian. I hate Jack Dee as a so-called author. Is it wrong for me to assume, that a book written by a stand-up comedian would contain humour? This book is neither very autobiographical nor humorous. The best way to describe this book: "trivial indifferences". I haven't even finished the book, and if it is so, that the pearls of wisdom comes later in the book... well, then I still can't be bothered. Sorry Jack. It's not that I don't like him and is just having a go at him - this book is simply not good even if you were his biggest fan.

No Looking Back [DVD]
No Looking Back [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lauren Holly
Offered by Champion Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a bit boring?, 18 Oct. 2007
This review is from: No Looking Back [DVD] (DVD)
First of all: Yes, was previously a big fan of the band Bon Jovi and that is probably the only reason I bought this movie which features lead singer of Bon Jovi, Jon Bon Jovi.

Would I have bought this if it wasn't for his appearance? No. The acting is OK and the plot is OK. There is really nothing special to get excited about in this movie. It is well made but it is just so boring. So; if you are not a big Lauren Holly, Edward Burns or Jon Bon Jovi fan then I would really rather recommend something ells.