Profile for P. Butler > Reviews

Content by P. Butler

P. Butler "Book Muncher" (Sheffield, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Collini Case
The Collini Case
by Ferdinand von Schirach
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Collini Case (Paperback)
It made a nice change to be able to read such an engaging story so quickly. It intrigued me that this was written for a German audience. Very interesting to see German court procedures. It also gave me an insight into how The Second War is discussed in modern Germany. The characters were well defined.

After the story had ended, a separate chapter was added. This expanded the back story of a minor character. This was very well written, and could be a short story in it's on right.

New York
New York
by Edward Rutherfurd
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: New York (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the way I was carried through the years, following one great character, and one great story line after another.

The book goes through 350 years, and so I was impresseed at the way the auther was able to link the characters with events in time.

I'm a great fan of New York City, but was ignorant about it's early history. I was fasinated to read about the foundation of the early settlement by Dutch traiders, and how it was taken over by the British. The attitude of New Yorkers to the Civil War was surprising, and their treatment of freed slaves during the Conscription Riots was horrific.

There are many great human stories here, which I may return to read seperatly - they are that good!

All Gone to Look for America
All Gone to Look for America
by Peter Millar

4.0 out of 5 stars Seeking the soul of America, 4 July 2010
This book could have been called, 'Places not to visit in America'. However, such is the skill of the author; his discription of so many soulless dying cities is entertaining.

Peter Miller has a genious for describing people. He combines this with the research he has done on the area, and then adds his own often humorous view of the world.

He has inspired me to go to the more unusual places in the USA.

1989 The Berlin Wall: My Part in Its Downfall
1989 The Berlin Wall: My Part in Its Downfall
by Peter Millar
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air., 15 Feb 2010
Peter Miller wasn't just passing through. In 1981 he and his wife set up their first marital home in East Berlin.

He shares with us the trials and tribulations of starting a new life in a Police State. Miller has a dry sense of humor, and a refreshing way of seeing the world. Not your typical hack! For example, he recalls his driving lessions, and driving test in East Berlin.

What he is very good at is discribing people. He became a regular in his local bar, and made close friendships with many East Germans. In the book he paints a good mental picture of these people, and their life history. So when The Wall comes down, we are seeing it through the eyes of all the charicters we have come to know through the book.

Miller also describes his time working in Mascow, London, and as the Central Europe Correspondent.

Some years after the fall of The Wall he was able to read the file that The Stasi had compiled on him. He sees ther funny side of that as well!

The Tudor Chronicles (Quercus Chronicles)
The Tudor Chronicles (Quercus Chronicles)
by Susan Doran
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Approach, 5 Jan 2010
This book is beautifully printed, and is a joy just to see it on the table or the shelf. The detail of the paintings or illustrations would more difficult to see in a smaller book. The large scale of this book has fully revealed to me the detail in these old documents and paintings, as never before.

The events of the Tudor Period are arranged in year order. The narative text is were concise, and well written.

It's a wonderful book to own - I love it!

Blood River: A Journey to Africa's Broken Heart
Blood River: A Journey to Africa's Broken Heart
by Tim Butcher
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magnificant Obsession, 19 Aug 2009
This is a wonderful adventure story. Everyone told Tim Butcher that travelling down the Conger River was far to dangerous. But years of resurch and making contacts proved them wrong.

I was gripped by the book, and shocked and saddened at how the development of a human society can go into reverse.There were large towns with no functioning schools, hospitals, or postal or legal services. There was no electricty or petrol. Corruption on a big scale.

A startling observation was the quietness of the jungle. There was no birdsong. The villagers he came across were so malnorurished that he concluded that they had eaten the wildlife. Marauding bandits usually stole livestock and crops.

I'm grateful to Tim Butcher for filling in the gaps in my knowledge. I didn't realise how ignorant I was about the momentous events in the Congo. It is sad that the country has been ignored by the media, after we had so much coverage of 'The Year Zero' in Cambodia, and the decline of Zimbabwe.

There were many journeys going on in this book. Tim's own journey, the one his mother made in 1959, and the expedition lead by Stanley. I was enriched by my journey, and recomend it to you.

U.S. Marshals [1998] [DVD]
U.S. Marshals [1998] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I've watched it many times!, 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: U.S. Marshals [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
This is Tommy Lee Jones at his best. I don't think of it as a sequel at all. It's just a great action adventure film. The pace is good, the characters are are interesting, and it's a well constructed story. I go back to it every now and then. My wife like it because it's not too nasty, but still an action movie. Great fun!

Hemingway's Chair
Hemingway's Chair
by Michael Palin

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Novel., 2 Nov 2008
This review is from: Hemingway's Chair (Paperback)
This story is an amusing account of the lives ordinery people in a small town, just trying to get on with their lives. They don't want change, but it is forced upon them.

I really enjoyed this book as it discribes so many crusty middle aged people I've know, who want society to remain as it was when they were in their prime. A young upstart start to push them out of their comfort zone, and they don't like it.

You will be disappointed if you are expecting some Monty Python, but pleased if you want a gentle little story.

The characters are engaging, and do remind me of some awful people I have had to work with.

A Soldier's Way: An Autobiography
A Soldier's Way: An Autobiography
by Colin Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read!, 19 Oct 2008
Much better than I expected. I'm not usually one for political biographies, but this was the exception. Colin Powell is a soldier at heart, but he did reluctanly spend years involved in Washington politics. What could have been very dry, was told in a very human and interesting way. He comes across as a very nice man. What was surprising was that he taught Sunday school, and had a passion for rebuilding old Volvo cars!

The discriptions of how to manage people and situations were inspiring.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in human nature!

The Ghost
The Ghost
by Robert Harris
Price: 11.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Addictive Book!, 16 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Ghost (Paperback)
This book grabbed me from the start. The auther got the balance just right. The story is about politics, but there isn't so much that I said, "stop preaching and more the plot on", as I have done with other books. It's not full of overcomplicated plot lines, but just enough to make me care about what was happening, or was about to happen.

However, I just enjoyed it as a thriller, and didn't get hung up by similarities with real life characters. The fictional one were good enough.

Seeing it all through the eyes of a ghost writer is an original approach, and has made me look at factual biographies in a different light. Using a satnav as a key to developing the plot was also a touch of genious, and made me laugh more than once!

Page: 1 | 2