ARRAY(0xb47b333c)

LED Lenser P14 Professional Torch (Black) - Gift Box
LED Lenser P14 Professional Torch (Black) - Gift Box
Price: 43.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 3 Dec 2013
I have three LED Lenser torches, the P14, the P7.2 and the original Police Tech focus. The P14 is, without doubt, the 'Daddy' of the three. Its beam brightness and the distance and spread it gives are fantastic. If you need more light than this from a torch, you should be using floodlights. The light is very neutrally white and on tightest beam focus gives an extremely bright and penetrating beam up to at least 150 metres. Wider beam settings light up astonishing areas in the dark. This is, however, no pocket-sized item and could be quite intimidating to intruders, from both the extreme power of the light emitted - which will completely dazzle anyone who looks directly at it - and also the hefty build, enough to be used as a defensive weapon should the need arise. If I were a night watchman, this is the one I would want! Like all LED Lenser torches the quality is top standard. A magnificent torch.

LED Lenser P7 Professional Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
LED Lenser P7 Professional Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
Offered by AVIDES
Price: 35.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great torch - thoroughly recommended, 3 Dec 2013
I have three LED Lenser torches, the P7.2, the Police Tech focus and the P14. This one (or at least, the MkII version I have) is the best combination of compactness and sheer lighting power of the three. It really is astonishingly powerful. Personally I would prefer a twist focus rather than the slide focus of this torch, because at least it would stay where you set it, even when you stuff it into its carrying holster, which only fits one way around and means you always push the head to maximum spread when you put it away. I also prefer the white light of other LED Lenser models - the new LED used on the MkII combined with a red-coloured decorative ring around the lens give the light a slightly pinkish hue. However, I am nit-picking, it's a fantastic torch (but I still prefer the Police Tech, which is smaller and whilst ultimately less outright powerful, is plenty bright enough for about 90 percent of likely use).

Levis 506 Jeans Mens Blue 34W S
Levis 506 Jeans Mens Blue 34W S

4.0 out of 5 stars All American jeans - made in China, 21 Mar 2013
In fairness, it isn't just Levis. I bought a pair of Ralph Lauren Denim and Supply jeans which also had a 'Made in China' label. The quality of these is excellent, although you don't seem to be able to find the really strong feeling, heavy denim jeans fabric that they were once made of. These are better than many however. I bought 506's, which aren't a stretch style, so I'm going to be very careful to wash them cool and not tumble dry - just in case. I will either get too fat for them or just bored with them before they ever wear out. Just hope they don't fade too much, as I prefer the darker shade of denim.

Philips GC2910/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2000 Watt - Blue
Philips GC2910/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2000 Watt - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good points, a few not so good, 21 Mar 2013
This iron has a great cord length and heats up quickly. The water reservoir is the easiest to fill I have seen yet, with an easy access good sized filler hole. Steam output is very good and has two settings plus off. The downsides are that it is a little heavy (a matter of personal preference - some would say that makes it easier to iron with), but what I really don't like is that the sole plate has a tendency to exacerbate static problems, so that even pure cotton garments like shirts will 'stick' to the soleplate, making smooth, continuous ironing difficult. Others have said the soleplate sticks horribly if spray starch is used - I haven't tried it, but I can believe it. So.........soleplate issues, otherwise very good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2014 1:41 AM GMT

Burgundy Squares Casual Cravat
Burgundy Squares Casual Cravat
Offered by Swagger And Swoon
Price: 19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too short, 4 Mar 2013
I was very disappointed by this item. Look at any of the many video lessons on how to tie a cravat online (some good, some dreadful) and this cravat is simply too short to provide a decent result. The main issue is with the larger ends, these are woefully skimped. Poor.

Tenn DH/BMX Cycling Padded Hip Protector Body Armour Shorts Black
Tenn DH/BMX Cycling Padded Hip Protector Body Armour Shorts Black
Offered by Tenn Outdoors
Price: 32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good padding, 27 Feb 2013
I like these. Solid enough where it counts but padded enough to cushion you as well as absorb energy in a fall. They don't obstruct movement either. Look a bit 'Incredible Hulk' when on, so good job they are worn under other clothing. Material doesn't breathe that well, so judicious regular washing recommended if worn for strenuous activities - also a lightweight pair of briefs beneath. Good kit - well priced for saving your *ss.

LED Lenser Police Tech Focus Gift Box - Black
LED Lenser Police Tech Focus Gift Box - Black
Price: 30.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but much room for improvement, 20 Feb 2013
I bought this torch based largely on glowing reviews from other users. There was also the fact that it is apparently standard issue to the British and German police forces. It is certainly solidly engineered and well put together - top marks for that. However, the ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. Unless you hold the torch as though you are showing theatre-goers to their seats, you cannot switch it on single-handed, as the on/off button is at the end of the torch. What exactly is wrong with a button on the barrel that you can push on/off with a thumb? So, if you want to hold the torch 'normally', like a baton, switching on is a two-handed affair. Likewise, as is the beam focus/zoom function, a turn of the front housing of the torch that is stiff enough to need both hands anyway.

The torch is very compact - I would prefer something a little more substantial in size. Having said that, it gives a powerful beam that can light up an area about 3 metres across at around 50 metres distance at night with ease. At tight focus, the beam is brightest in the centre. However, once you wind out beyond about 1/4 turn to expand the beam width, the centre of the beam spread becomes almost a shadow, surrounded by a halo ring of brighter light. So, as the beam width expands and the concentration of light diminishes, the maximum light emitted is at the periphery of the beam circle - not in the main area, where you want it. This is no doubt an optical design dilemma which is problematic to overcome, but it is an annoying aspect of what should otherwise be a very useful feature. For me, the focus is best between two thirds and three quarters of maximum tight focus, for best overall use and for keeping the brightest light to the centre of the beam.

All in all I would prefer a more substantial body and definitely a wider beam head - I'm not too interested in a super-tight, over brilliant beam, I want a useful beam area with a good, even spread of light over the whole area, with no significantly brighter or dimmer areas. 30 to 50 metres beam power is also ample in my opinion - I have no desire to dazzle aircraft pilots or intrude on neighbouring tower block residents.

Finally, the product comes beautifully packaged in a quality box with pouch and lanyard. The latter two are useful, but I would far rather have the money invested in better ergonomic design and useful beam performance, packaged in a paper bag.

Avenir ACB924 Rack Bag - Black
Avenir ACB924 Rack Bag - Black
Price: 28.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storage and compact too, 6 Feb 2013
My headline says it all. I thought the price was reasonable too. You can't go touring with this alone, but it takes everything you should need for a day out on two wheels

Kent B300C Best-Quality Chamois Leather (Large)
Kent B300C Best-Quality Chamois Leather (Large)
Offered by Car Spares Direct
Price: 7.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Origin?, 6 Feb 2013
It's fairly large, it is animal skin (going by the odour), but I am very doubtful whether this is chamois leather - I suspect a much less rare creature, possibly pink and grunty. However, it dries the car OK.

Electric Knife Sharpener Wizard
Electric Knife Sharpener Wizard
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 64.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 6 Feb 2013
I bought this item on the strength of previous reviews, realising that I was nevertheless taking a bit of a chance as the item description was very unspecific as to operation and - particularly - the angle of grind. This was important to me as I wanted it for some Global knives I use, having been totally unable to achieve a decent level of sharpness either by sending them away for professional sharpening nor by using a Japanese water stone myself. They require a 15 degree sharpening angle, not the 20 degrees of most western knives.

I found that the level of sharpness conferred on my Global knives is pretty good, but falls considerably short of the scalpel like sharpness of when they were new. There are two grind wheels, coarse and fine. The recommendation for Japanese knives is to use only the fine grind wheel, which I did. In fact I found the coarse wheel fairly useless on all my chefs knives, from cheap to mid-range western blades. The fine wheel sharpens the western knives as well as just about anything else ever has and got the Global knives sharper still, with care as to how you hold the knife in the guide. I do feel that another level of sharpening is needed to really get the finest edge on good quality Japanese blades and am considering a stropping strap and fine paste, as used for cutthroat razors, in order to achieve what I want. All in all, this is a good product giving a good, yet less than perfect level of sharpness. It represents decent value for money, on the basis that you usually get what you pay for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3