ARRAY(0xa1306780)

Possible Side Effects: True Stories
by Augusten Burroughs
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Only problem--there is never enough!, 29 Jan 2007
Another "laugh out loud" work from the current master of cynic/egocentric humor. If you loved any of his other books (i.e. Running with Scissors, Magical Thinking, etc.), then you are sure to love this hilarious follow-up collection of short stories. As Augusten takes you from one corner to another in his insane past experiences (buying defective dogs, suffering torrential nosebleeds, taking holiday at an inn creepily decorated with one too many dolls), you will find yourself quickly and happily moving along. Though I find myself more and more often questioning the accuracy of his accounts, I am willing to admit I don't really care. Keep 'em coming, Burroughs.

A Piece Of Cake
A Piece Of Cake
by Cupcake Brown
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Frey look like he needs something to do., 29 Jan 2007
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I was floored by this book! Most of us have read "A Million Little Pieces", and like other reviewers, I must admit that I am also addicted to these kinds of stories. However, this book is a strong departure from many of the other books I have read in this genre. First, Cupcake has an amazing voice throughout the novel. The dialogue, however "street" it may be, is accurate and on point! I can tell you coming from the streets of NYC/America, that the speech and dialects are nothing less than flawless. Secondly, this author has much less of a tendency to victimize herself than other authors in the memoir game. Perhaps one would say that this is simply the effect of her AA meetings, etc., but I continually felt the genuity and humility of her story. She admits her anger at she was treated, but impressively continues to muster resolve to get through it. Fantastic read, impossible to put down--and equally impossible to forget!