Profile for Michelle > Reviews

Content by Michelle

Michelle (Milton Keynes, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
CLOSER (DELUXE EDITION)
CLOSER (DELUXE EDITION)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shayne's best album yet!, 21 April 2015
This review is from: CLOSER (DELUXE EDITION) (Audio CD)
Shayne should feel very proud of this new album - from the first track to the last it's fantastic and a pleasure to listen to. I have this on repeat at the moment and still not getting bored! Favourite track is Moving Target but there's not a single track I'd skip on this album - love them all :)
And the voice memos describing the concept behind a couple of the songs is a great touch. Really hope he tours with this - I'm definitely there if he does! Well done Shayne - your best album yet!

Four Square Media 25 X CD DVD / BLU RAY 14mm Black DVD 4 Way Case for 4 Disc - Pack of 25
Offered by Dragon Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality 4-way CD/DVD cases, 26 Nov. 2014
Sturdy cases which were great value

Time of My Life (feat. Joe McElderry)
Time of My Life (feat. Joe McElderry)

5.0 out of 5 stars Time of My Life - wonderful duet between Kerry Ellis and Joe McElderry, 14 Sept. 2014
Really love this duet between Kerry Ellis and Joe McElderry - their voices compliment each other so well. I like this updated arrangement of a well-loved familiar song too. Can't help but smile listening to it, sounds like they had so much fun recording this :)
Had the privilege of hearing them duet this song live twice ... in Edinburgh and again when Kerry made a guest appearance at one of Joe's 'Set Your Soul Alive' tour shows. Fantastic!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2014 2:15 PM BST

Wonderful Dream (Holidays Are Coming)
Wonderful Dream (Holidays Are Coming)

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe McElderry - a wonderful dream of a singer, 18 Nov. 2013
Joe brings his McElderry Magic to this Christmas song and it's a perfect partnership :)
And the fact that he recorded this as a treat for his fans as a thank you for the support - for me that makes this release even more special. Absolutely love this - thank you Joe :) x
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2013 4:27 PM GMT

Abide With Me
Abide With Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotive song for an excellent cause, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Abide With Me (MP3 Download)
This would normally not be my cup of tea but I downloaded this for 3 main reasons:

1. It's for an excellent, not often talked about cause
2. I love Joe's voice
3. Royal Mail are donating an extra £1 per download to Prostate UK

Well, I was very pleasantly surprised and have played this far more often than I expected to. It's a great arrangement and the soaring vocals from both Joe and the Royal Mail Choir strike an emotive chord. It's suprisingly powerful and a little different (in a good way!) to many other versions of this hymn.

I would urge anyone who has not yet downloaded to do so. It doesn't cost much but every penny that goes towards ProstateUK could help save a life. That's reason enough, let alone the fact that the vocals are beautiful from all the singers involved.

A HUGE well done to all involved - I hope this raises a lot of money for ProstateUK.

Panasonic Lumix TZ20 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP MOS, 16x Optical Zoom) 3 inch Touchscreen LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for the price and a step backwards for the TZ range, 4 Jun. 2012
I tend to use this mostly for recording videos and only occasionally for taking photos. I realise that for my purposes a camcorder would seem the better option but I prefer the flexibility and convenience of a pocket-sized digital camera.

Having previously owned a TZ7, which I absolutely loved, I allowed myself to be seduced by the extra zoom and other features advertised on this upgrade. Although it was a painfully high price at the time (I bought this last March when it first came out), I assumed it would be at least as good as the TZ7 but with the added benefit of HD recording and increased zoom. This assumption was based on my own experience with a TZ7 and the superb quality recordings by friends who have the TZ10. Well, once bitten twice shy. Turns out that assumption/prediction was wrong in the case of the TZ20 and from now on I'll wait for the reviews to come through and price to drop before taking a leap purchasing a new camera.

Recording with the HD setting gave me jerky videos, so I soon switched back to 720 and the picture quality seemed about the same anyway, just smoother. The biggest disappointment came with the quality of recordings in low lighting, especially at concerts. Far less sharp than with my TZ7, lots of background image noise and the sound suffers too. My TZ7 handled bass impressively well - while my TZ20 records sound like it's just been taken under water. I'd have been sorely tempted to return back to my old camera if I hadn't already sold it. A year on, I'm not in the least surprised to see that the price of this camera is similar to the older TZ10 - says it all, along with the reviews on here.

I've given this 3 stars rather than a lower rating because it's a decent camera in most other respects. Picture quality is nice and clear in good lighting (though the same can be said for most cameras) and the zoom is good on this too. I see the TZ30 has recently been released. It will be interesting to see if big improvements have been made but I won't be jumping in to get one straight away. I look forward to reading more reviews on the TZ30 from those who use the video feature on the camera in a range of conditions. Am still a Panasonic Lumix fan (thanks to my experience with the TZ7) and would happily upgrade to a camera which at the very least matched the excellent image quality of the TZ7 in low lighting environments but with increased zoom, though don't need all the other bells and whistles being touted. Will keep an interested eye on the TZ30 reviews as they come through.

Echoes
Echoes
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album and worth the wait, 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Echoes (Audio CD)
I absolutely love Will Young's music, have all of his albums and am currently enjoying this latest one. My favourite track is Jealousy, closely followed by Runaway. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because it took a bit of time for me to warm to it fully. I knew from just hearing the samples on Amazon that I'd enjoy it and it would be well worth buying - but apart from 'Jealousy' there weren't any other stand-out tracks for me on first listen. In fact, my one and only criticism of this album is that most of the tracks sound very similar to each other (even several plays later) but as they all make for pleasant and easy listening, it's not a major complaint. There's not a single track I skip and unlike Adele's 21 (which I love but can only play a couple of songs from it at a time) I can play it all the way through without feeling depressed by the end! I think Will should feel rightfully proud - it's a good, solid album which deserves to do well.

Classic
Classic
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning album, showcasing Joe's beautiful voice, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
Much as I loved Joe's debut album (and still do) for its fun, upbeat feel, this second album is far superior because it truly showcases his best asset ... his gorgeous voice. The production is phenomenal: duet with the talented Milos Karadaglic and wonderful orchestral accompaniment for the rest of the songs. Well done Universal & Decca! And well done to Joe too! From the obvious care and attention lavished on this album, it's hard to believe that all the tracks for this exquisite album were recorded in just 6 days! That's the difference having a great team behind Joe (who evidently know what they're doing) can make.

There is not one weak track on this album. Joe puts his own unique stamp on these timeless classics - and I know I'll be playing this even more often than Wide Awake. My current favourite track is 'To Where You Are' - that had me in tears the first time I heard it and still gives me goosebumps now, several plays later. I'm a bit torn as I really want him to sing this on his tour in November - but I don't want to show myself up by blubbing either (and I know I will - Joe always sounds even better live)! I also love the fresh-sounding, upbeat, calypso style 'Over The Rainbow' - it was a great decision to go with that arrangement.

Definitely an album for discerning listeners who appreciate beautiful vocals. If you love Joe's voice, this album has to be part of your collection.

It's also an album that Joe himself should be very, very proud of.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2011 9:03 PM BST

Someone Wake Me Up
Someone Wake Me Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Someone Wake Me Up (Audio CD)
How frustrating - yet again Joe's new single has been the victim of 'too little too late' promotion from his record label (*bangs head against desk*). It also doesn't take a genius to work out that lack of airplay = lower sales. It didn't enter very high on the charts because most people don't even know it exists! Especially tragic since this is a such a brilliant track. So much so, I wish it had been chosen as the lead track instead of 'Ambitions'. If it had, I think Joe's album sales would have been higher too. 'Ambitions' is a grower, while 'Someone Wake Me Up' has more mass appeal and is instantly catchy. The music video is a million times better too.

Not only that, but those bemoaning the overproduction of Joe's debut album and wanting to hear the voice they voted for on X Factor last year will get a double dose of it on this physical single. The B-Side 'There's A Place For Us' will particularly delight those who enjoy the purity of Joe's vocals.

Oh and please Amazon could you update your track listing details to show that there IS a B:Side to this single? Thank you.

Wide Awake
Wide Awake

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific album which has been woefully underpromoted, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
This is such a fantastic album I'm almost mystified it hasn't sold anywhere near as well as it deserves to ... until I remind myself how little promotion it's received. "Always gonna be an uphill battle" - how true, poor lad! Yes, this new sound is a different side to Joe than the one we were familiar with on XF last year but it also shows how versatile he is. The U-turn in musical style was a big risk but it could have paid off had Joe had the amount of 'smart' promotion that Olly Murs had. Lucky Olly being co-signed with Epic, who actually know how to market their artists effectively.

Added to the lack of timely promotion (including the debilitating lack of airplay for his single releases), the biggest complaint from many who voted for Joe last year on XF seems to be that his voice is lost in the overproduction of this album. Unfortunately, the samples (or 'snippets' as a previous reviewer referred to them) on Amazon don't do the album justice and when I first heard them, I feared his gorgeous voice would be submerged in the synthesised sound on almost every track. Being a big fan of Joe's, however, I was always going to support him by buying his music. What a difference when you hear the album tracks in full. For example, I thought I would hate 'Love Is War' as the sample on Amazon sounded nothing like him. In full, you can clearly hear his voice in the verses and I really like the track now. In fact, there is no track I skip over (even the Climb, while still my least favourite!). There is only one other album in my collection that gets the same complete hearing each time I play it. There is something for everyone on it, including a couple of ballads. For instance, for those who particularly loved his vocals on XF, 'Superman' is beautiful and has remained my favourite track. Another of my favourites is the cheeky, quirky 'Real Late Starter' which never fails to put a smile on my face. Have also played the album countless times and am still not sick of it! It's fun, upbeat and reflects the happy-natured, 19-year-old Joe perfectly.

Please please keep an open mind, put aside any possible prejudices about the XF association (which has been a double-edged sword for Joe anyway) and you might just find that this uplifting album becomes one of your favourites. Admittedly, this album doesn't fully showcase his amazing vocals (but neither are they completely disguised, which is the complaint from some who have only heard the samples) but it is still a fantastic album in so many ways. I firmly believe that Joe has so much more to offer, so it would be extremely sad if he were written off before he's even had a proper chance to get underway in the music business. Having seen him perform live many times, his vocals (and increasingly confident performances) never cease to impress me. If he gets the chance to make a second album, I'm hoping it will contain a couple of his acoustic performances to showcase that incredible voice. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy Joe's debut offering, which is by far the most played album in my collection!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2012 9:18 AM GMT