Profile for Sam Mackley > Reviews

Content by Sam Mackley

Sam Mackley "Mummy Looks Fab" (Shoreham)

Portraits
Portraits
by Derren Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly compelling, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Portraits (Hardcover)
This book is a really fascinating collection of supremely enjoyable portraits.
Some of them were very hard to take your eyes off - the level of detail is exquisite and the way the features have been characterised to capture what we recognise best about these stars is brilliant.
I like Derren Brown's "other" work, but I loved these. You will never regret buying this book and having it lying about for the odd rainy Sunday afternoon. His writing is entertaining and witty and his portraits are compelling - what a great combination!

Quirkology: The Curious Science of Everyday Lives
Quirkology: The Curious Science of Everyday Lives
by Richard Wiseman

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 24 July 2009
I really, really enjoyed this book. Easy to read, interesting in terms of content and style of writing and fabulously quotable, it got me thinking and watching and wondering.
My poor sainted husband got more nudges in the ribs and "Oooo Listen to this..." as I reeled off yet more quirky human tales whilst I was reading this than any other recent book of the same ilk.
If you like the kind of thing that the title implies, then you will like this book - as simple as that!

Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 quick and easy meals for a healthy and happy baby
Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 quick and easy meals for a healthy and happy baby
by Annabel Karmel

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but not enough variety!, 15 Oct. 2008
I really liked the look of this book and I had already used the Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner by Annabel Karmel, so I bought this expecting it to build on the older edition and have something new to offer for the eary stages of weaning.

Sadly, I dont think it met expectations. Lots of the recipes were duplicated from the other book and the information in the introductions to each chapter also seemed like an abridged version of the other book.

I appreciate there are only so many vegetable and fruit purees that you can use to wean your baby but I would still have expected this book to have more to offer that its older counterpart.

My advice would be don't bother with it if you have the other one, and if you are in two minds which to get, at least the other one will see you through toddler-dom as well.
Happy Pureeing!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2013 8:12 AM GMT

Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with your Baby
by Melinda Blau

4.0 out of 5 stars No-one ever said it would be E.A.S.Y.....o hang on, yes they did!, 14 Oct. 2008
If you had asked me to rate this book when my first son was a year old, they would have had to invent a new system. It was easily an eleven out of ten. He thrived on it, it worked, we all loved it.

Then my daughter came in to the world with a very different view of things and suddenly, my tried and tested E.A.S.Y. arsenal was laid to waste. She didnt sleep, she ate all the time, she cried and cried....where the pages telling you waht to do when you were so fatigued and cross with your newborn that you feared what you might do!?!

We were following the guidelines - we were doing the stuff - she just didnt like it, and I had neglected to take her opinions in to account!

In the end, I relaxed and gave myself a break - which is actually something Tracy Hogg recommends you do regularly, and I stopped trying to make my baby fit with something that had worked so well before.

I re-read it from a fresh perspective and once again, I found things that were useful. but with a more challenging baby, there are still some glaring ommissions. I wish Tracy would describe the crying that can go on as something more than "fussing".

When your baby can scream herself purple in under five minutes, and the only thing that works for both of you is a cuddle, then there is no mileage in continuing the crying. Continuing with a regime that isn't working for everybody is the stuff of nightmares.

There is definitely an argument for delaying some of the tactics used until you and your baby are ready, and not worrying about "bad habits". I wasted a lot of the first few months imaginging Tracy standing over me with a disapproving look as I guiltily administered the dummy or the breast to get my baby to sleep. She is now 6 months old and none of those props are required, so all of that stress was for nothing.

I would still recommend this book for the top tips on breastfeeding, and the common sense approach to most baby related problems. There are also some useful (if slightly American-ised) case studies.

I would just add the caveat that if your baby screams, you feel like tearing the book apart with your teeth and E.A.S.Y really doesn't seem to be working - its time to put the book down and accept that sometimes these formulaic approaches need a bit more flexibility. It does not mean your baby or you are broken, and eventually things will come together!

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars In praise of a relaxed approach!!, 14 Oct. 2008
I found this book extremely useful. I thought I was a "routine person", and based on my first child's behaviour, thought every baby-related problem could be solved with a pithy abbreviation and some steely resolve.

Not so with my second child!! First time round I was a devotee of the Baby Whisperer. This time round, E.A.S.Y. was not a word I would have associated with our lives.....

Firstly she cried alot more than I ever remember my son crying.Secondly she seemd a lot more "clingy" that he did. (Seems daft to describe a baby as clingy when their main job is to stay close to their mummies). Thirdly, I was completely frazzled and unable to cope with the noise, disruption and downright cheek - how dare she not comply and do things by the book?!
I tried Gina, re-visited the Baby Whisperer, we even resorted to full-on attachement parenting for a while until I realised my constant dull back pain was due to carrying her around all day for fear of another burst of hysterics.

Finally we found this book and there was hope...we focussed on the bits that were working and we stopped panicking about the bits that weren't. She relaxed, we all relaxed. I stopped worrying about what I "should" be doing, and started doing whatever worked for all of us - me included.

This book helped me look at her with new, more compassionate eyes and gave me a gentle plan for eliminating some of the aspects of the so-called routine that either weren't working for her, or for the rest of the household.

She is 6 months old now, goes to bed easily, sleeps twice in the day, doesn't need to be breast fed to drop off and is a much happier baby. If you had asked me if I would have beleived this possible before we bought this book , I would have laughed at you (and then cried at the same time, due to being nutty with sleep deprivation)
Its a brilliant book if you need some help and nothing else seems to be working as the main message is one of reassurance - you'll never regret giving it a try.