Profile for David Robinson > Reviews

Content by David Robinson

David Robinson "elliepodge" (UK)

Guitar Recital -  John Williams
Guitar Recital - John Williams
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully played, 10 Oct. 2006
Some of this music was unfamiliar to me - I wasn't even aware that Paganini composed for the guitar, having taught himself the instrument after he 'retired' from violin concertizing at the tender age of 19!

The Scarlatti and Villa Lobos pieces are far more familiar, and played exquistely by Mr Williams.

I attended a recent concert given by John Williams and John Etheridge and the 'chops' are still there! Great guitarist, very nice guy! He even autographed my copy of this CD after the show.

Music of Agustin Barrios Mangoré - Guitar Works
Music of Agustin Barrios Mangoré - Guitar Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music from a great musician, 2 Jun. 2005
I've owned this CD for a while now and it's never far from my CD player, either at home or in the car. The music is flawless and the playing so musical, if you know what I mean. Every aspiring classical guitarist should try to play Julia Florida for it's gorgeous melody - David Russell's interpretation is spot on, for me; he really is a master guitarist. Every piece on here is beautifully played.

Fires at Midnight (Limited Edition)
Fires at Midnight (Limited Edition)
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Try to see them live, too!, 12 Oct. 2001
I'm biased. I've loved this guy's guitar playing for 30 years, through Deep Purple and Rainbow, and it came as no surprise that the Man In Black didn't simply return to his roots but went back even further, when he was obviously sprinkled with some magic star dust at birth (gushing, isn't it!). Magic it is, though. For lovers of good tunes, there are plenty of beautiful melodies; for admiring guitar techies, there are some awesome displays of both acoustic and electric playing (the electric lead solo on the title track is a jaw dropper). Candice's vocals are great but I must also mention Chris Devine, the violinist, who is superb (I saw the band recently and all the musicians were excellent - Blackmore and Devine were fantastic). Lets face it. Rock music nowadays is all about visuals, with little attention given to the actual music. Have some of this. Proper music, played properly.