Profile for Mr. F. Beckett > Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Velvet Moon, 18 Dec. 2014
Oh I have searched for weeks and weeks
To find such a roll so soft on the cheeks
For this is the one that desire seeks
For an arse so clean it almost squeaks.

60 Rolls Of Regina Impressions 3 Ply Toilet Roll Tissue Paper Wholesale Job Lot
60 Rolls Of Regina Impressions 3 Ply Toilet Roll Tissue Paper Wholesale Job Lot
Offered by Dealsdirect247

5.0 out of 5 stars Velvet Moon, 18 Dec. 2014
Oh I have searched for weeks and weeks
To find such a roll so soft on the cheeks
For this is the one that desire seeks
For an arse so clean it almost squeaks.

It's All Around You
It's All Around You

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: It's All Around You (Audio CD)
This album is just sheer beauty. You can close your eyes and if you let it, it will take your imagination to dreamy landscapes like the one on the cover. The music is kind of a mix between jazz, electronica and prog but you'll probably like it even if you can't stand these genres because Tortoise are so much more as well.

I own almost everything Tortoise has done and absolutely love them but this is usually my 'go-to' album. I think they have shown more maturity in this album. Each song flows very well into the other and does so even better each time you listen. There are some bits that'll stick out like a sore thumb when you first listen - Like a choir made from voice samples... Then you listen again and again and you realise that it's perfection.

I'm buying and recommending this album to most of the people I know. It's my favorite album and I want everyone to give it a chance!

Aluminium Foil 18" (450mm x 75m) - industrial size for your kitchen or professional establishment
Offered by Rinkit Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for cooking..., 28 Dec. 2011
Not so great for other things.

I decided to wrap myself in this for my last bank robbery. Unfortunately my plans were foiled.

Tascam DR-100 Digital Voice Recorder
Tascam DR-100 Digital Voice Recorder

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound... Bad Build Quality and Customer Service, 12 Jun. 2011
Having used Tascam's DAT recorders and stunned by the quality of sound, I searched for a field recorder to buy for myself. I stumbled upon this and am still impressed by the quality of the sound. Even the in-built stereo directional microphones beat Edirol and Zoom's by a large margin.

Ok, the omni mics aren't really worth using, unless you just need something to put in the middle of a meeting table instead of taking minutes.

Adding to that, it's easy to use and a variable gain control makes it so much nicer to use than the H/M/L gain switches on it's rivals. The whole casing is metalic too, which gives it a rugged feel. The only real thing that it's rivals come out on top is that this unit is made much larger and heavier.

Well that's the good part, here's the bad.. Having bought this new and sealed I was shocked to find a fault in microphone shell. Ok, it's a small crack and doesn't affect the sound, but each time I use it will increase the chance of it inevitably breaking off. Adding to that.. It seems to struggle with recording long pieces, after finishing it will freeze - Leaving it for 40 or so minutes never helped... Still frozen.

Contacting Tascam - They weren't concerned by these flaws, take it in for repair or offer to replace. I respect I am probably just unlucky enough to get the one faulty DR 100 they have made, but to not provide a service after purchase makes me shiver when I consider buying another Tascam product.

5 stars for sound, functionality and ease of use.. 0 stars for customer service and build quality.

A happy listener, but not a happy purchase I'm afraid.

Yeah Ghost (Cd Album)
Yeah Ghost (Cd Album)

4.0 out of 5 stars Zero 7 Leaving Their Comfort Zone, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
Having taken several steps in a different direction, this is Zero 7's least accessible offering. I can't help but think by the time they did "The Garden" that these steps were needed, because with the exception of "Futures", the album lacked everything good in the first 2 albums have. This album still lacks the soul and bliss of the first 2 albums and it's edgier and less dynamic than anything they've done before... But it's more interesting too; lots of ideas, new sounds and unconventional melodies and sounds.

I like to think Zero 7 won't be put off by the harsh judgements of this album and progress in this direction. It's tough for bands to not sell out and carry on creating replicas of the album that won the critics love.

Anyway, this one is a keeper.. And I hope that they continue in this direction with their next album and put more soul into it.

Skywatchers Handbook Cd
Skywatchers Handbook Cd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Monster of an Album..., 24 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Skywatchers Handbook Cd (Audio CD)
I'm surprised no one has reviewed this beautiful album yet, so...

This band comprises of Dean and Jarrod (from I Monster) and Kevin Pearce. I guess my best effort to describe this is a mixture of electo, psychedelic and folk music. Although unique in it's own right, I find some parts reminiscent to Pink Floyd, Air and (obviously) I Monster.

With delicate layering of synths, guitar, vocals and drums the album is hard not to unwind to. As you might guess from the name of the band and some of the songs, there is a strong theme of space in the music to get lost in. If you're already familiar with I Monster, you won't need any convincing to get your hands on a copy of this album - Kevin's singing and guitar only add to their original sound. For those that aren't? Well, let's just say that I've recommended this album to many people with different musical tastes and not one has failed to love it! No excuses not to buy now!

They are already well on their way towards making a follow up to this fantastic debut... Bring it on! :)

AKG K77 Closed Back Circumaural Headphones
AKG K77 Closed Back Circumaural Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice price, reasonable quality, 27 Sept. 2010
Sound Quality: Straight out of the box these headphones are awful. Don't worry! After a few hours the sound tightens up and various instruments become more isolated in the mix. However, on the contrary to a previous reviewer; The bass is too prominent on these headphones. Kick drums with a side-chained sub bass tone swallow the rest of the mix. As with other AKG headphones, they do seem to distort at lower levels than most other headphones. This is a shame because asides from that they are well balanced. Voices are clear with a detailed and sweet mids.

Preamps & sound sources used were - Tag McLaren, a broadcast mixer, a cheap chinese mp3 player and a PC HP output. All revealed the same characteristics in bass and distortion.

Build Quality: Excellent! Light yet rugged, tight fit yet comfortable and bulky yet stylish. When you wear them for a while you can forget they are there. The closed back design and tight fit ensure a decent level of sound isolation. You get about 8 foot of cable as well, which is useful if you're monitoring from a fixed point in a room. The cable is also slightly thicker than other comparable headphones, which hopefully equates to added strength (I'm not prepared to put that to the test!)

Conclusion: I see these as more of a match for reporters, broadcasters and outdoor recorders who need a cheap alternative to Beyer DT100's (which retail around 5 times more than these). That's not to say that they are comparable. Even if you desire a lot of bass in your music, I think it's just too 'loose' to satisfy your needs. However, if you're just looking for headphones you can rely on surviving some abuse, these seem to have the build quality to endure that!

Good value for money, but if you can stretch your budget - look elsewhere!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2010 8:05 PM GMT

The Scene And The Unseen
The Scene And The Unseen
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how it's done..., 14 Sept. 2010
It takes a huge amount of talent to create music with character and innovation whilst making it not only instantly lovable but long lastingly lovable. In fact, most bands find it hard to fulfill just two of these criteria.

The music would probably be categorized as Indie/Pop, but his music contains elements of music such as folk to bluesy rock. Whilst the music sounds like a bit of every other band I like, the music is original in it's own right.

You can imagine most of the songs on this album being those rare tracks in the charts that actually deserves to be; Quite frankly, I don't know how this hasn't happened. Everyone I introduce his music to loves it, regardless of the genres they normally align themselves to. I can imagine this album in everyone's collection.

I thoroughly look forward to the second offering from Stoney and I can only hope he gets the exposure he deserves.

Tainted Love
Tainted Love

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awful, 20 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Tainted Love (Audio CD)
How it hurts to find a terrible album from a great band. If you want to try out Shivaree, I suggest you buy 'I Ought to Give You a Shot in the Head for Making Me Live in This Dump' or 'Who's Got Trouble' which are testament to Shivaree's own brand of independant pop/indie.

This album is just too painful to listen to, it's one that I couldn't find myself developing a liking for as I have with her other albums. I can't find any rhyme or reason to covering songs that are already perfect as they are when you're a talented writer yourself. There's nothing positive to take away from this album. I really hope they'll get their act together and keep writing their own music.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4