Profile for Mr. F. Beckett > Reviews

First Time I Met the Blues
First Time I Met the Blues
Offered by Japan-Select

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Voice, 19 Oct. 2008
I love this collection of songs. He really has a unique voice full of character, as most would like the blues to be. Sadly not many people have heard of him, and a £28 price tag ain't gonna help.

Unfortunately because of the era (and also recording budget) the sound quality is very thin and weak and doesn't have the desirable rich distorted valve quality that some other blues numbers do from this time.

Sogatel - Skype compatible USB cordless internet phone - Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP

4.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly and Reasonable Price, 19 Oct. 2008
Installation was really simple. The software user interface simply auto-runs whenever the computer is booted and allows you to alter the volume settings for both the microphone and the speaker. Easy to use the handset, to access your Skype phonebook, call history and to give and receive calls.

Reception has sometimes been a bit of an issue. Maybe around 10% of the time it has been a little 'choppy' when using it in a different room to the receiver.

Build quality of the whole unit is pretty good and the outer shell of the handset is very rugged, however, the LCD display sometimes displays groups of pixels that it shouldn't, but it doesn't cause a problem, just cancelling the screen can return it to how it should be.

Value for money.. Having read the review of other wireless Skype compatible phones in the same price range, this one seems to have less to fault and costs less too. As with all cheap wireless technology, there are many things that could go wrong compared to a wireless handset. But if this is your budget and you would prefer a wireless one I would choose this one over the others.

ADDITIONAL (April 2010): Ever since Skype was updated I've been having problems with this phone. Every so often the phone's display will carry on showing the last call which you've made and there's no way to get rid of it (removing the battery or rebooting the computer won't suffice). This makes navigating the phone lists impossible without using the computer display. I have been having issues with my computer but I thought I would say this just as a precaution for anyone wanting to buy one! Asides from that I'm pleased with it!

At Home
At Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 31 July 2008
This review is from: At Home (Audio CD)
This was the first album that I had heard from Avishai Cohen, having bought it at the concert that I attended. I disliked most jazz, and only attended this concert by some kind of instinctive thought that I would enjoy it. I was wrong. The concert blew my mind! Usually in this situation, buying the album will only disappoint you... The album had a different, more laid back atmosphere to it, but still caught my imagination and introduced me into the world of jazz!

Avishai Cohen, being one of the most versatile and soulful bass players I have known, barely leaves any emotion to the imagination. Some of the music is just unimaginable, yet so likeable and very skilfully executed. Even the recording is very good, which I have found is rarer than in other styles of music.

Mark Guilliana, my personal favourite drummer, can just change the direction and momentum of the music so gracefully, bringing a very dynamic yet delicate energy to the music.

Sam Barsh, who has recently left to form his own band, really does give the music so much emotion and melody.

All three of them function flawlessly as a band, and have captured the music so beautifully onto this CD and the additional musicians on the album only contribute positively to this atmosphere throughout. I guess the music is more contemporary, with eastern influences and modern techniques.

Although I would have to say that to this date, Continuo remains my favourite, but this is a very close second and I'm sure it's a must have for any jazz fans, bass players or drummers!

The Hives: Tussels In Brussels [DVD] [2005]
The Hives: Tussels In Brussels [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ The Hives
Offered by WonderBook-USA

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hive Live and Still Alive, 31 July 2008
Not long after I thought they had faded away after such a brave appearance into the music scene with 'Main Offender' and 'Hate To Say I Told You So' they have bounced back with 2 more albums and this live DVD.

The amount of energy and charisma they have on stage is amazing.. And they really do pull off their songs will a great sense of class and excellency which is rare these days. The hives performances are just stunning and the crowd just seem to be mesmerized by it all. It's a bit of nostalgia for me, a great souvenir for seeing them many years ago in Brixton, when I was sure that the 2nd tier was going to collapse because everyone was going so wild! I really hope to be able to see them again!

It's also great to see the music videos again, some of them are surprisingly unique and very well directed. And the documentary is just completely crazy, which I guess suits the Hives style!

Good on them!

After the Big Rain
After the Big Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars Calming and Unique., 31 July 2008
This review is from: After the Big Rain (Audio CD)
I found this album through searching for 'the other Avishai Cohen'. After listening to some songs online, I eagerly decided to buy this album.

Although I'm only just starting to get into jazz music, I can really appreciate this album. There's so much beauty and gentleness to it. There is a very heavy African influence which drives the music, especially in the percussion and the percussive guitar playing and their poly rhythms. The music really sets a calm and blissful atmosphere; I play this album every time my brother or sister (who both have a narrow sense of music) and they can even appreciate the music on some level.

Although I haven't heard a lot of jazz, I do believe that the trumpet playing is quite contemporary and influenced by Miles Davis and John Coltrane. In the body of the music, the playing is usually comprised with sustained notes with added such as overdrive, Wah and delay which compliment all the other instruments.

This album and the band certainly deserve more recognition. I can't really emphasize enough how beautiful the music on this album is.. You'll just have to try it for yourself!

Grace
Grace
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking., 31 July 2008
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this album about 5 years ago, I completely disliked it apart from the title track, even though I was pretty open to a vast range of music. I think the hardest thing to get used to is the high voice on some of the songs.

After a while I began listening to the other tracks and became ashamed for having avoided them so long. Not long after I warmed to the voice and now believe he is probably the best male singer to have graced my ears.

At a glance the album can seem so normal, and too soft.. But is all part of the delicacy of the music, the subtlety of slides in dynamics and timbres send shivers down my spine. It helps to have a very realistic sounding Hi Fi to get the full effect of it all!

The album was constructed over many years of Buckley finding his voice and battling expectations left by his father's legacy... The same sort of patience should therefore be required by the listener to parallel with his musical vision.

If I had to name my favourite album, this would be it!

Power of Soul
Power of Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 7 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Power of Soul (Audio CD)
I'm totally in agreement with the previous comment! I also think that it's a great album for those who are probably interested in jazz but find it hard to tolerate (Like me a couple of years ago).

The music is both relaxing and invigorating and combines jazz and funk to create this beautiful album which deserves much much more attention.

Locked in a Basement
Locked in a Basement
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground-breaking, 23 May 2008
This review is from: Locked in a Basement (Audio CD)
Just excellent. A must have for any drummers out there. Mark Guiliana being one of the best in my opinion, brings this ground-breaking music together with complex grooves and delicate cymbal play (and of course, sheer brilliance). The deserve serious attention to be understood and the whole CD just grows on you the more you hear it. It did however take me about 4 listens before the music grew on me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4