Profile for davidwaen > Reviews

Aesthetes and Decadents of the 1890's: Anthology of British Poetry and Prose
Aesthetes and Decadents of the 1890's: Anthology of British Poetry and Prose
by Karl Beckson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great summary of 1890s decadent literature, 26 Feb. 2014
The poems included in this anthology are probably the most beautiful pieces of the 1890s, and the proses are workpieces that greatly influenced the decadent way of thought. This book is a smart, well thought out ensemble that easily represents the epitome of this style of literature, and not only that, the book's edition is very pleasing, aesthetically. I can say I am very satisfied with this acquisition.
Also, I have noticed a peculiar perfume on the pages. I believe it is artificially assigned, and not the natural perfume of the paper - would anyone know what fragrance that is, by any chance?

Dual
Dual
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Real music, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dual (Audio CD)
If you are fond of traditional celtic music, stop reading this and buy the cd. I really don't know what to say about Dual. I can't find words to describe how awesome it is. I was already a fan of Julie and Muireann before purchasing this album, I just did not expect it to get any better. And, oh God, it does!

They put together tradicional Scottish AND Irish music to create one and only huge masterpiece. Their voice quite fit the gaelic lyrics and happy scales, and their intrumental partners also deliver a great play in the bouzouki and guitar.

The only thing that disappointed me is the lack of Muireann's participation. Julie kind of "leads" the album, singing almost always, while Muireann's wonderful voice is only listened along with Julie's or AFTER Julie's parts. Don't get me wrong, I really like Julie Fowlis, but since I still don't have any Danú's album and since Muireann's music is less known and less shared in the web, I was hoping to get to listen a little more of her voice.

Some Strange Country
Some Strange Country

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip to Old America, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Some Strange Country (Audio CD)
For some time I've been listening to Crooked Still, but finally I bought my first Crooked Still CD and I do not regret at all. Their music is fantastic: real music. With their typical celtic folk-bluegrass style, their strings now brings back to life American traditional music. Featuring mostly remakes of old songs (somtimes they use the lyrics, sometimes the music, sometimes both and complete it with their own arrangements), although a couple of them are kind of boring, we can find in the fifth track of the album their masterpiece, which I dare to choose as the most beautiful song I have ever heard: the great Half of What We Know (fully composed by our dear Aoife, but still featuring traditional styled lyrics).

Aesthetically, the album's visual art is also quite fascinating. Suiting well the album music's proposal, the covers, cd label, and lyrics book are filled with atique-styled maps, letters, ink marks, bussols, medallions and drawings of mermaids, ships and sea monsters, carrying us to the colonial times.

Absolutely stunning. Thank you, Crooked Still.