Profile for J. T. Gruffydd > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
LG 24EA53VQ 24-inch Widescreen LED IPS Monitor
LG 24EA53VQ 24-inch Widescreen LED IPS Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent monitor, 14 Aug. 2013
I bought this monitor after seeing my son's very similar LG and I'm not disappointed. I didn't fit the oft criticised stand as I use a VESA bracket.

Brateck Full Motion LCD Desk Bracket
Brateck Full Motion LCD Desk Bracket
Offered by Cable Mountain

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, but one or two minor issues, 14 Aug. 2013
This is a very sturdy, all metal bracket that almost rates 5 stars. The only significant criticism concerns the ball joint - the screws have to be done up very tightly to ensure that the monitor (well inside the weight limit) doesn't "droop" of its own accord, and that means that subsequent minor adjustments to its position are difficult. Also, it doesn't tilt up enough. The supplied socket screws seem a bit "soft" and I worry about them either shearing and/or their sockets becoming rounded, especially as the supplied keys don't seem to have the best fit.

Elan Valley Railway: Railway of the Birmingham Railway Waterworks (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
by C.W. Judge

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep re-reading it!, 10 Aug. 2013
This is fascinating account not only of the railways themselves but of the social conditions of the time. It's a book that has an interest far wider than the railway project alone.

KS Tools 119.2025 ULTIMATE+ high leverage side cutter210mm
KS Tools 119.2025 ULTIMATE+ high leverage side cutter210mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 3 Aug. 2013
Just what I needed, and at a reasonable price. I hope it proves durable - it's a make I had not heard of before.

Rolson 20857 Automatic Wire Striper
Rolson 20857 Automatic Wire Striper

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked very well - eventually, 3 Aug. 2013
I had used an almost identical tool for decades (literally) but lost it - this was bought to replace it. Initial impressions were good - until I tried to use it when it wouldn't work at all. The problem turned out to be that (among others) the main hinge screw was so loose that the spring was not anchored. Once I had fixed this (and tightened up the other loose screws) it worked just like the old one. Fundamentally an excellent tool - but quality control seems non-existent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2013 3:59 PM BST

Draper 38275 Wire Stripper (1.0-3.2mm Dia)
Draper 38275 Wire Stripper (1.0-3.2mm Dia)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 22 July 2013
Although I haven't bought this from Amazon, I've had the same design for literally decades and it's the only tool I know that strips wire reliably every time.

Replacement Battery
Replacement Battery
Offered by Ballicom International

3.0 out of 5 stars Hope replacement lasts longer, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Replacement Battery (Electronics)
The only reason for rating this as 3-star is that the original lasted barely over two years (the warranty period), in spite of a very "easy" life. Hopefully the new one will last rather longer. The supplier was absolutely first rate.

Panasonic Lumix LX5 10.1MP Digital Camera - Black (3.0 inch TFT LCD Display, 1/1.63 inch CCD, f/2.0 LEICA Summicron Lens with 3.8x optical zoom)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a quality walk around camera, 10 Sept. 2010
I've had Nikon DSLR's for a few years (D200 and D300) but often, I just wanted to take "uncritical" photos but of good quality and the bulk and weight of the Nikon was unjustified. This camera fills the bill well. It's not quite as readily pocketable as many compacts (because even in its retracted position, the lens does protrude). Shooting RAW and processing with the supplied Silkypix software, followed by saving as TIFF, has yielded excellent prints so far. The Silkypix does have a few raw (no pun intended!) edges: it's a bit slow, has a slightly quirky interface but the biggest lack (for me) is that there's no way of printing in "application managed" mode - so you have to rely on printer driver colour management. That's why I convert to TIFF and print with Photoshop.
The other supplied software (PHOTOfun) is not very useful - there are far better photo editors out there, including free ones.
The only serious niggle I have with the camera itself is the lack of an means of remote control.
=======
Since initially submitting this review, I have had a problem with the camera - whilst in normal use within all the operating parameters (battery charge, card type and free capacity etc.) it froze up even to the extent that it could not be switched off except by removing the battery. It seems to have recovered OK but it's knocked my confidence in the camera somewhat. I hope it's just an aberration, but if it recurs it's going back to Amazon!

John
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2012 2:31 PM BST

Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide
Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide
by Alastair I.M. Rae

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent refresher!, 21 Aug. 2010
I graduated in Physics some 50 years ago when this topic was little (if at all) studied at undergraduate level. This book is just the right level for me - far from patronisingly simple but very understandable. Well recommended.

ABC Products® USB to 9 Pin DB9 / Serial / RS-232 / RS232 Converter Convertor Adapter Adaptor Cable Cord Lead for PDA SAT NAV Barcode etc Prolific Chipset PL2303RA, for PC and MAC Supports WIN 98SE, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, MAC os V8.6~9.2 or Higher etc
Offered by abcproducts

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior product, 21 Aug. 2010
I bought this to replace a cheap one I bought earlier via Amazon, and which I could never get to work properly with my Garmin GPS. This one does - perfectly. Highly recommended and worth the extra.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3