Profile for Fussy Bloke > Reviews

You Are Not Alone [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nathan Nolan
Offered by Jasuli

1.0 out of 5 stars "looks good. " When we get home I get it ..., 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: You Are Not Alone [DVD] (DVD)
It was on a wet Saturday afternoon, I was waiting in the car with the dog while my wife went around Asda's doing the shopping. When she came out and started loading the shopping into the boot that she said, "I've bought a DVD," "Oh," I reply,my interest rising, "what did you get?" "I can't remember the the title but it's a thriller," she said, "looks good." When we get home I get it out of the bag and find, "You are not alone." I notice that the releasing studio is 101 films and my heart sank. "This is going to be rubbish," I thought,"101 films always are." I have learned not to buy anything released by 101, I've been caught several times. I bought "The Goatman Murders," "The Lodge," and some others and they are rubbish too, but, in fairness to my wife she didn't know. So this is how we came to own this garbage, a whim purchase.

It's one of those, filmed through a personal camcorder movies which I HATE. It jerks, flashes, fades to black, then we have shots taken at stupid angles, we see the sky, the ground...well, you know what I mean, we've all seen it soooo often before. It's such a tired old concept, I don't know how they have the cheek to keep making films like this....Well anyway, the young couple film everything they do, going to bed, talking to each other, talking to the camera ABOUT each other. No one films EVERYTHING do they?

The story concerns an intruder in the house they are staying at and there are so many holes in the plot that it's like a cullender. - It turns out that the owners of the house who have swapped homes for six months with the young couple staying there have known about the stalker for some time. Any NORMAL person would have had him arrested long ago, but no, not in this movie. People never do sensible things in movies do they? The heroine knows there is someone roaming around the house so when her boyfriend leaves her alone for the day what does she do? Get in the bath! Now, if you are apprehensive that someone may try to attack you the last thing you need is to be naked and wet. How are you going to run or fight? You'd slip and fall, get cold, the ground would hurt your feet if you ran outside, plus you'd be NAKED, how embarrassing is that? And of course they have that blasted camcorder and film everything, he's even filming himself being chased by the intruder, and still filming when... oh well, I'd better not tell you that bit, it would spoil it for you, not that there's much to spoil here. This is a thoroughly stupid film, there's not even a decent ending. But strangely enough it's not a bad story if they had filmed it better and had the characters behaved with a little more reality. For me the worst part is the silly camcorder gimmick, they've made too many films like that now. I even saw one movie that was filmed entirely from the inside of a car! Well, that will teach us to impulse buy from Asda. Avoid 101 films, they are not worth the dirt cheap prices Amazon charge for them.

This is an eighteen certificate. I'd like the BBFC to explain to me what's in it to warrant it, there's no drug use,no sex, no nudity, very little bad language and no gore. I think it could have been given a twelve.

Sunstruck [DVD]
Sunstruck [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harry Secombe

5.0 out of 5 stars ) At that time I thought it was better than the main feature, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sunstruck [DVD] (DVD)
I've seen this film twice. The first time was on Monday 29, July 1974 in my local cinema when it was the B picture to "Holiday on the Buses," (We had two features in those days.) At that time I thought it was better than the main feature. I have tried to see it again for over forty years but it never seems to turn up on tv or video. Now, as far as I know, it is available on dvd for the first time and I got to see it again a few nights ago.

I still think it is better than, "Holiday on the Buses," and I enjoyed it as much this week as I did all those years ago.

Harry Secombe was not often the leading man in films but this one belongs to him. He plays a gentle, Welsh schoolteacher who goes off to Australia in the hope of an idyillic life but, as is so often the case, it doesn't go according to plan.

You just can't help liking Harry's character, Stanley Evans, in this film. He's so innocent, respectful and friendly you find yourself rooting for him. When the character of Pete berates him at an evening party Harry's face is sooo pained that you feel his heart is going to break. It's possible to FEEL his hurt. But the dignified way in which he handles it is heartwarming. This movie is a gentle comedy that I personally have a soft spot for. I love it.

A good transfer from Network, 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Light on extras, just a trailer and a few photographs but I don't suppose there is much they could dig up on this one, it's not really a well known film, certainly no one that I ever mentioned it to had ever heard of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 11:35 PM BST

What A Crazy World [DVD]
What A Crazy World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joe Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars They're not doing them the best way are they, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: What A Crazy World [DVD] (DVD)
This film was made in cinemascope. Unfortunately,as with the Charlie drake film, "Petticoat Pirates," also released by Network, it doesn't display properly, the edges of the picture are missing. I've checked it on my computer and on that it DOES display properly. So it seems that the overscanning issue mentioned in the reviews for, "Petticoat Pirates," applies here as well. Oh dear, Network, who are you getting to author these discs for you? They're not doing them the best way are they? We have other cinemascope films that display properly so obviously there is no need to do them they way they are. You need to put this right for us please.

Having said that this is a nice piece of nostalgia. See the way the girls used to dress in those days, the lovely Susan Maughn wearing dresses flared from the waist with fitted bodices and high heeled shoes. Hair, not quite a beehive in this film but still high. Then there's Joe's suit and tie. Yep, I remember those days - showing my age now arn't I? Plenty of songs in this one, the main one being, "What a Crazy World." Marty Wilde is here as is Michael Ripper playing multiple roles, remember him? He was always an innkeeper or a policeman or a peasant in the Hammer films. Freddie and the Dreamers are here too, singing, "We Wear Short Shorts."

I have the LP...yes, I said LP, for those of you who don't know that stands for long player...it's a vinyl record now seen in museums. Anyway the back of the record lists a song by Michael Goodman called, "I Sure Know a Lot About Love." which does not appear in the movie. Perhaps those of you who are more familliar with this film could tell us if it has been cut or was this a bonus song for the LP, like we used to get on Elvis soundtracks?

Now for a bit of twisted logic. This movie was originally certified "A" certificate, which meant that persons of any age could see it. Now it's a "12" which means that only those over 12 can see it. It contains the most startling scene from, "Curse of Frankenstein," then certified "X" and now "12" How is it that any one could see, "Crazy World," then but now they have to be over 12? And how did they have the best scene, the one where the monster rips of the bandages from his face, from an "X" film in an "A" film? Humm, strange thinking.

All Neat in Black Stockings [DVD]
All Neat in Black Stockings [DVD]
Dvd ~ Victor Henry

3.0 out of 5 stars It starts off like a bawdy comedy but ends up as a drama, 18 Aug 2014
An unusual film this.It starts off like a bawdy comedy but ends up as a drama. It concerns two friends who share their girlfriends. The way they refer to the girls is shameful, they call them IT, as in, "you can take it out tonight." It's amazing why any girl would go out with the arrogant little toerag in this film. He asks one girl out and then ignores her when he sees another (Susan George) that he likes. His flat is filthy and his sister and brother in law are filthy and nuts too.
I don't know if it's me, but some people seem to act very strangely. There doesn't seem to be a reality to the goings on here. His mother in law dislikes him until he has it off with her. Then, the next morning she is toadying to his demands over what he wants and how he likes his breakfast cooked. This is probably one of the comic moments, but the film doesn't seem to make up its mind whether to be comic or serious. So it's all a little confusing.

I got this dvd because I'd never seen it and I was always intrigued by the poster, two spread legs in the letter A for all. I found it a little unusual but not dislikeable. The young Susan George is, of course gorgeous, as always.

Network has given us a good transfer. There are two versions of the movie on the disc, the cropped for widescreen tvs is the main one and the as filmed, (which I consider the correct one,) 1.37:1 version is supplied as a special feature. There is also a mute deleted scene and again, strangely it is included in the 1.37:1 version of the film. If you select this version to watch as I did you will experience a loss of sound from 1hr, 9mins, 21 secs to 1hr, 10mins,28secs. This deleted scene is the same one listed seperately in the menu list. It is not incloded in the widescreen version of the movie. What are you playing at Network? Who wants to loose sound for over a minute in the middle of the movie, especially as you have the scene listed seperately on the menu? Come on now, don't do silly things like this, and the original,as filmed version should be the main selection. This irritating cropping at top and bottom to make fake widescreen is a real nuisance and should be discontinued. Oh well, at least you DO give us the original, so you should be commended for that.

The River Wild [DVD] [1995]
The River Wild [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, 4 May 2014
This review is from: The River Wild [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
Meryl Streep is in this film. With her long blonde hair wild and untamed, her eyes so blue, her sensuous smile and sultry looks on her finely chiseled features. Lucious lips speaking a lovely soft American accent. Her body tall and lithe, firm breasts, tanned thighs and round, shapely backside. At one point she wears a tight, black rubber, shortie wetsuit. Hummm...yes, this film is worth five stars.

The Lovers! [DVD]
The Lovers! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Beckinsale

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Network., 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Lovers! [DVD] (DVD)
I always liked the Lovers when it was on tv as a series years ago. I fancied Beryl, (Paula Wilcox) but she was so typical of the girls us boys used to encounter in those days. Didn't they just run rings around us, keeping us guessing and...making us work so hard? Anyway, that's the fun with this one, poor old Geoffrey is at his wits end trying to please Beryl. It's all the funnier because it's so accurate, that's how dating was then. Beryl does herself no favours because she upsets herself in the meantime, waiting for Geoffrey to phone after she has split up with him again. Even her mother tells her to get a move on. Well I and all the other guys will sympathize with Geoffrey and the women will be on Beryl's side. But, here we are, us men, trying to be adorable and for some reason unknown to us we always get it wrong. I had a good few laughs in this one and it seemed to be over so quickly.

Excellent picture and sound quality, and it is nice to see the old British Lion logo at the start. I'm giving this release five stars so it's very, very good. It COULD be perfect though. Network say it is presented in the original aspect ratio but if you select the feature from the main menu it will play in a cropped 1.78:1. The 1.37:1 has to be accessed from the special features. So, Network, the original aspect ratio version needs to be the default in future releases.
On the cover it says the movie was originally classed as an AA certificate by the BBFC. It would be nice to see that original certificate at the start of the movie. I remember AA was a bright blue card with AA in white numbers in a black box. So come on Network put these old certs on there and take us back in time to when we saw these movies in the cinema.
Lastly, lose the slim cases, personally I don't like them, the spines are too thin and you can't see them so well on the shelf. I like the full width cases, but of course that's just my opinion.
If Nework did these three things, especially the BBFC certs I for one would consider this release perfect. - You've got my trust and admiration now Network, along with many others I'm sure, so don't mess up and let us down in the future. Keep, the movies original, no pan and scan, no giving us shortened or censored versions, and remember those certs..and we'll love you for it.

Petticoat Pirates [DVD]
Petticoat Pirates [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlie Drake

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspect Ratio ok, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Petticoat Pirates [DVD] (DVD)
I must apologize to Network for unfairly judging their comment to another reviewer concerning the aspect ratio of this movie. After having checked I find that it is correct and that all the letters of the names of cast members are present on the frame. I have uploaded a customer image for others to check out.

It's great to see Charlie again after all these years. This film is fifty two years old at the time of writing and it looks really good. So well done Network for releasing these old British films. I'd like to see the original BBFC certificate on the start of them all, perhaps this is something you could consider. I have seen it done on one or two releases so I don't think it would break any laws concerning misleading the public if the classification has changed. It would be a nice, nostalgic touch. Anyway, I'll give this movie five stars now because it does look so good.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 5:37 PM GMT

Day The World Ended [DVD]
Day The World Ended [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars However you look at it this is crap., 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Day The World Ended [DVD] (DVD)
This film was made in Superscope, a widescreen system that had the same aspect ratio as Cinemascope, 2.35:1. It says on the cover that it is in Superscope. Well a real mess has been made of this transfer. Here's how you have to view this disc... If using a widescreen tv set it to 1.37:1, the picture comes on at 1.78:1, that is it has a black border all the way around. That's the wrong aspect ratio to start with. After the titles the picture flicks to 1.37:1. This of course is even worse because it now becomes pan and scan and you are missing 50% of the picture because the sides are cut off. It's noticeable in many shots with people who are speaking missing off the edge of the screen. Then when the end title comes on the picture flicks again, this time to the correct aspect ratio of 2.35:1 - only your tv is set to 1.37:1 so there is again a black border all the way around and you have a tiny picture in the middle of your screen.
This is just NOT acceptable. If they are going to do this sort of hatchet job then we should at least be warned by a notice on the cover. I wish reviewers would ALWAYS mention this sort of thing so the rest of us know to boycott the product. OK, I know, there are people out there who couldn't give a fig but I know from reading many Amazon reviews that many do care.
Aside from that the print is not very good anyway, there's a lot of lines, scratches pops on the soundtrack etc. It's also very grainy and unsteady. More than once I saw an instantanious flash of coloured blocks on the picture too - don't know what that's all about.
The film itself was directed by Roger Corman. Now there's a bloke who should have had his movie camera confiscated at an eary age for the good of the rest of us. I know many people appreciate his later Edgar Allen Poe adaptions but these early horror movies were so bad he must have been having a laugh at his audiences. As usual the creature doesn't turn up until the last five minutes. Doesn't it just agrannoy you when the hand is so obviously a rubber glove? They couldn't even be bothered to do some hand make up. The head is just a rubber mask with eyes and a mouth that don't move. This creature has horns that wobble!
I've said before that I usually love these old sci fi, horror pics because they are so bad but this one is just so crap it's annoying. Crap movie, crap tranfer. There's just one word for this and that's CRAP! - Sorry for the bad language guys but this has annoyed me. I'm fed up now, I'm going to have a cup of tea. Humph.

Samson and Delilah All Region
Samson and Delilah All Region
Dvd ~ Hedy Lamarr
Offered by MagicoClassicMovies

3.0 out of 5 stars What's the quality like?, 3 Jan 2013
There are many versions of this movie out there with many different covers so, this review is of the Asian release with the predominantly green cover, Delilah in the top left corner with Samson looking up at her from the bottom right.

I wanted to know before I bought this movie what the quality of picture and sound was like. Well, I'm sorry to say it's not good. It's not really bad, I must say I've seen a lot worse out there being peddled as official releases but it's certainly not what we've come to expect as DVD quality.

The movie, surprisingly, starts with an overture and that word appears on the screen. It can be seen by this that the colours are weak and lack lustre. The letters seem unevenly focused, some in, some slightly out of focus. This sets the standard for the movie itself, it's not very clear but the quality seems to vary slightly throughout the movie as does the sound. The volume is not constant and sometimes it goes so quiet it's difficult to hear the dialogue. The end title seems clipped a bit too short then it's into the exit music. One reviewer said the Paramount trade mark is not present at the start and he's quite right, it isn't there but copyright ownership changes so often and new owners may have removed it, I don't think it means the movie has been cut otherwise.

Made in 1949 before the introduction of Cinemascope it's presented in the academy aspect ratio of 1.37:1. The menu is in English and you can get rid of the Korean (or whatever they are)subtitles by pressing the button on your remote.

Everyone has their own opinion as to what is good or bad quality of course but for me this release is watchable, it's nuhhh, OK. It'll do until we get a better edition.

I got mine cheap on e bay so there is no Amazon verified purchase for me here on this one.

Island of Lost Souls [Masters of Cinema] (Dual Format) [Blu-ray] [1932]
Island of Lost Souls [Masters of Cinema] (Dual Format) [Blu-ray] [1932]
Dvd ~ Charles Laughton
Offered by bestmediagroup

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy are we lucky., 28 July 2012
With the same euphoric enthusiasm as Colin Clive who shouts, "It's alive," in the 1932, "Frankenstein" we can shout, "I've GOT it, I've GOT it, I'vegotit, I'vegotitI'vegotit. Wuh huh huh huurr." After all, this has been one of the most elusive and difficult films to get hold of.

I just want to add my voice to the other positive reviewers on here and praise Eureka for the wonderful job they have done transferring this movie to DVD. Apparently there is no original camera negative in existance so it just goes to show how close we came to losing this picture for good. The booklet included in this edition tells us all too briefly how this print was assembled from various 35 and 16mm elements. I must say I would liked to have seen a longer documentary on how they sourced and restored the existing prints to make this new one. Have they now managed to make a new negative from the old positives? I would have liked to have seen the condition of the reels and what they did to get this to the wonderful, pristine version that it is. I can't play the blue ray version because I don't have a player but I can certainly vouch for the DVD which is good enough as it is.

Excellent work Eureka. Now, if you can just get us, "London After Midnight."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2014 4:18 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5