Profile for benb > Reviews

Hohner Seven Piece Blues Harmonica Set With Case
Hohner Seven Piece Blues Harmonica Set With Case
Offered by Northern Music Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Now I got the blues, 4 April 2014
I bought this set as I wanted a cheap solution to having loads of hamonicas. This is certainly good value.....if you're not interested in having anything of any quality. The harmonicas are badly made, and a whole load of air needs to go in to get a sound out. The sound you get is rubbish. Other reviews here talk about how these aren't for the serious musician: this is true. But who buys 7 harmonicas if they're not serious about the instrument. If you're serious about not being serious, go to the Early Learning Centre and get one there. Otherwise, go for a Lee Oskar.

Flaming Pie
Flaming Pie

5.0 out of 5 stars Flaming good, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Flaming Pie (Audio CD)
McCartney is good. Often when listening to paul, I feel like I'm watching a top class snooker player: very technical, nothing special, very dull. But then I realised that actually McC is just bloody good at what he does. Yes it can be a little twee at times, and when he gets all his muso mates in (Ringo and Steve Miller crop up on this album for no discernable reason) it can be a little cringsome, but in the end, he is a top class natural musician with a real feel for what is right. The harmonies are excellent, the musicianship is brilliant.

I Choose This - How to Nearly Make it in the Music Industry
I Choose This - How to Nearly Make it in the Music Industry

5.0 out of 5 stars Choose this book, 17 Jan 2014
I have nearly all Ford's albums, have seen him live, and have had the honour of supporting him in concert. My wife got me this as a surprise. This is an excellent book largely about his thwarted attempts to make "the big time". Only.... he does make it because he is able to make a living from doing what he loves. It has insights into the true side of the music business, and with the brilliant lyricism he brings to his songwriting, this is a fantastic read. It certainly was more interesting than the Springsteen biog I read straight after finishing this. It conforms nicely to Bob Dylan's adage that a man must be considered successful if he gets up in the morning, goes to bed at night, and in between does what he likes. Get a copy of this book, buy all David's albums, go see him in concert. If we all do that, then he will make it.

Let The Hard Times Roll
Let The Hard Times Roll

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard times, good times, let them roll, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Let The Hard Times Roll (Audio CD)
Ford himself rates this as his finest, most coherant and mature album (see his really good book "I Choose This") and he's not far wrong with this assessment. It is easily his best album (which is not a comment on his other albums at all). From the planned chaos of the opening track "Panic" to the rousing "Call to Arms", this is a great ride. There are some lovely personal moments on this album, as well as th heartbreaking "Stephen", which I still haven't got out of my head. This one is a keeper, and has stayed in the care pretty much all the time since my wife bought it for me.

Doctor Who - The War Games [DVD] [1969]
Doctor Who - The War Games [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

5.0 out of 5 stars This is no game. This is serious stuff, 19 Dec 2013
The War Games is Patrick Troughton's last story as Dr Who, and what a blinder. He fetches up on some planet where nasty old war lords have collected humans from different times zones and forced them to fight. The Doctor, Jamie, and Zoe arrive and set things right. Along the way, we meet the Time Lords for the first time, and find out why/how the Dr left in the first place. Jon P's tenure of the Dr is set up. As stories go, it's a key one.

Criticisms levelled at the story are that at 10 episodes, it's waaaaay too long. And this is a fair criticism. But the story is a good one, and the acting is pretty good too. There are some location shots, so it's not all wobbly sets and RADA acting. The time lords are a dull lot - this is before they get their cool headgear - and you can see why the Dr ran away. Randolph Walker from Eastenders and others makes a great cameo too.

Pivotal in the canon, and a good watch. Plus excellent value - 10 episodes for the price of 4!

Doctor Who: Revenge of the Cybermen / Silver Nemesis [DVD] [1975]
Doctor Who: Revenge of the Cybermen / Silver Nemesis [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting mix, 19 Dec 2013
I perhaps am a lone voice in the wilderness on this, but I quite like Sylvester McCoy's seventh doctor. Yes he's an old ham (but then which of them wasn't?), yes he rolls his rrrrrrs (but then I never liked Pertwee calling everyone "my dear chap"), yes he wears a stupid costume (it was the 80s!), but I like him. He was my doctor.

So I quite liked Silver Nemesis. I remember seeing it on telly in the 80s, and one of the episodes was braodcast on the 25th anniversary of the show. It is perhaps indicative of how low the show had sunk in the late 80s that there really isn't a sense of fanfare with this anniversary, so to watch it out of context actually improves it. There's much to like here. Lady Peinforte is good, the Cybermen are the usual silliness (emotional responses when they don't have emotions, extras walking like tall people rather than robots etc), and for no reason a bunch of neo-nazis turn up up from Brazil. All to posess something the doctor hid years ago.

And this is why I like McCoy. His doctor has a sense of the past. Rarely did the classic drs have this, I felt. He has done things in the past that come back to haunt/bite him. A precursor to the troubled 9th, 10th and 11th drs I think. Ace is brilliant too. And (again for no reason) Courtney Pine turns up.

Revenge of the Cybermen is disappointing. From Tom Baker's first season, accompanied by Sarah Jane and Harry, and beset by some truly dire special effects. The story is drawn out and I coudn't be bothered with it. But then, I like McCoy, so what do I know?

Charge
Charge

5.0 out of 5 stars Storming into Georgia like a midnight train...., 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Charge (Audio CD)
The headline of this review is my favourite line on this album. And this album is great. David Ford is easily the most underated and marginalised singer/songwriter of his generation. Unless you've ever seen him live and bought an album, in which case, he is the best kept secret of his generation. The songs on this album are excellent. Pour a Little Poison on My Good Name is one of the best songs about the frustrations of being a travelling musician, and the Ballad of Miss Lily has a great Santana vibe going on. At times Ford strays a little into generic love song territory, but his voice, sincerity, and passion see you through. My only criticism of this album at all is that the cover is rubbish. But hey, that's nitpicking, and to be honest, who judges an album by its cover? Buy the MP3 if you're sensitive.

XLR TO XLR MALE Microphone Cable Extender Extension Adapter Adaptor Coupler PA
XLR TO XLR MALE Microphone Cable Extender Extension Adapter Adaptor Coupler PA
Offered by TechWareGames

5.0 out of 5 stars So adaptable, 19 Dec 2013
This is the greatest adaptor ever. So long as you want a female plug to be a male one that is. If you don't want that then this is the wrong purchase for you - see the female to female one for that! When I inserted it into the right socket, it made a satisfying clicking noise. The gig I played that night went really well. Clearly because of this adaptor.

Mercury Falling
Mercury Falling
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A master, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mercury Falling (Audio CD)
This might not be the most popular Sting album. The only hit off it was "LEt Your Soul Be Your pilot" but it's still a damn fine album. A few reruns - LA Belle Dam Sans Merci has hints of Shape of My Heart about it (and comes up short). But the opening 3 tracks are as good as anything Sting has recorded. Top notch band, with regulars Dominic Miller, Vinnie Colaiuta and Kenny Kirkland mean that everything is tight, groovy and basically great.

Not at the level of Nothing Lke the Sun, but nowhere near Sacred Love.

Doctor Who - Paradise Towers [DVD] [1987]
Doctor Who - Paradise Towers [DVD] [1987]
Dvd ~ Sylvester McCoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Seventh Doctor Heaven, 4 Dec 2013
I realise that I am probably a lone voice in the wilderness that is 80s Dr Who, but I love this. Sure th acting is dodgy, the script is worse, the set is clearly BBC TV centre, and McCoy chews the scenery with every line (until Richard Briers gets going!) but then again, loads of Dr Who stories can have the same criticism levelled at them. I watched this when I was a kid, loved it then. Watched it as an adult, and still love it. Now off to complete my collection of McCoy's seasons.

Page: 1 | 2