Profile for P. A. Lambert > Reviews

P. A. Lambert

Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1 Rosewood
Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1 Rosewood

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive value for money, 12 Jan 2014
admittedly the Mordaunt Short "sound" is pleasing to my ears, and many other popular, and often hugely expensive, brands soon become tiresome.

These Aviano 1s, at 100 are a better buy than many bookshelf speakers at 3 times the price.

Starless and Bible Black, 40th Anniversary Series
Starless and Bible Black, 40th Anniversary Series
Price: 16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best King Crimson album - cleaned and more shiny, 3 Feb 2012
I purchased Starless and Bible Black on a whim in 1974/5. My friends, who largely shared the same Jimi Hendrix/Groundhogs/Animals obsession expressed sympathy for my having bought something so "duff". But there was something in it that hooked me - even though I owned the world's worst record player, and heard only a fraction of what was there...

Today, I have never tired of all three recordings from this King Crimson line up. Red is wonderful, Lark's Tongues in Aspic has the best song (Easy Money) but Starless and Bible Black is the best album because it combines harsh agression (The Great Deceiver) with beautiful images (The Night Watch) and hypnotic circular intensity (Fracture) that leaves me breathless. King Crimson isn't elevator music, nor schlock, and shouldn't be judged against the same. If you want 2 minutes of pop, no problem, but to appreciate Starless and Bible Black you must let it be heard, all the way through. Like all the best music, it requires an investment from the listener to reap its rewards.

This re-master is a wonder. I cannot describe how music "sounds", words are so inadequate; but this edition has had the limitations of the recording, mastering and release chain lifted - leaving a work of art that reveals the actual performances of the artists and is therefore more glorious than I ever knew from LP, or CD.

There are many 1960s and 70s bands that have been more successful than King Crimson frequently attempting the same sort of sound/concept/thing, but I have never connected with them with any of the intensity and beauty I hear here. Robert Fripp seems to bring out their best, but not supplied them with mega star status, so they have split up. Even he has had the occasion to hide behind a curtain on stage so as not to steal the limelight from another pop star, yet rolling their offering in his glitter.

I hope this review prompts you to buy, not steal, their time and talent.

Red, 40th Anniversary Series
Red, 40th Anniversary Series
Price: 15.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, Intense & beautiful. Well worth buying (again), 3 Feb 2012
This 3 album phase of King Crimson has been my unrivalled favourite music since I purchased Starless and Bible Black on a whim in 1974/5. & unlike many other recordings, I have never tired of them through overplaying - and I wore out the "records" within 6 months. Red is the 3rd and final release from this (diminished) line up, but the music certainly doesn't feel like it is a tired rehash of the previous two....

As with all three of these pieces, they are a combination of harsh agressive sounds, super sweet snippets and hypnotic circular tunes that resonate and tease my brain patterns into elegant knots. Every time I've finished listening I need a quiet few minutes to reset to the real world. To me, Red isn't a collection of songs, more a single piece of music.

There are many 1960s and 70s bands that have been more successful than King Crimson - usually with artists that have been, or soon will be in a King Crimson line up - frequently attempting the same sort of sound/concept/thing, but I have never connected with them with any of the intensity and beauty I hear here. Robert Fripp seems to bring out their best, but not supplied them with mega star status, so they have split up. Even he has had the occasion to hide behind a curtain on stage so as not to steal the limelight from another pop star, yet rolling their offering in his glitter.

Maybe you have to have to be pre-programmed somehow to appreciate this? I don't know the answer; but my teenage children seem to have the same receptors.

This is the 4th time I have purchased Red (various formats, various restorations) and I deeply appreciate the additional materials. The quality of the sound has not been as starkly improved as the other 40th Anniversary series, but the video footage of the band playing these complicated arrangements 'live' is priceless (shame about the 'in camera" effects). It is real talent, on show. The very opposite of schlock.

I hope this review prompts you to buy, not steal, their time and talent.

Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Price: 3.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Rainmaker, 19 Dec 2011
Courtroom dramas are nothing new, but Rainmaker provides an delightful undertow of how "principles" inevitably become corrupted in the very (exciting) pursuit of "values". The star casting of the walk on, walk off characters is totally unnecessary, but luvverly all the same!!