Profile for Belfast Barbara > Reviews

Silk - Series 2 [DVD]
Silk - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maxine Peake

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, but not so smooth, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Silk - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I really rate the two lead characters. They're great in anything they do. They are so smooth in the roles, but the action is less than smooth. I've watched the third series now, and know how bumpy the ride gets, but in this series you get the gist of discomfort with the law as it works out in practice. It's a great take on the usual 'Krimi' sort of TV.

Eternal Law - Series 1 [DVD]
Eternal Law - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Samuel West

5.0 out of 5 stars Law that transcends courts, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Eternal Law - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I love the quirkiness of it, and find it refreshing to see a nod given to the spiritual in everyday life. I love that when the 'good guys' win, they don't take the glory for themselves - how unmodern!

Messe Solennelle de Sainte Cecile Petite Symphonie
Messe Solennelle de Sainte Cecile Petite Symphonie
Offered by INNER PEACE MUSIC

5.0 out of 5 stars An act of worship, 24 Sep 2013
I find it hard to understand that Gounod was not a man of faith - this mass is awe-inspiring, so uplifting and jubilant! To me, it seems like an act of worship just to listen attentively to it. I feel renewed in my soul listening to this mass. The Petite Symphonie, by contrast is pleasant, but not at all rousing. Listened to alone, it is a delightful piece, but coming after the mass, it is something of a 'come-down'.

Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ"
Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ"

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you 'Babe'!, 24 Sep 2013
I didn't know this work until I saw the film 'Babe'. That was years ago, and I always meant to hear the whole work, but never got round to it. I am so glad I finally managed it - the thrill of the last movement is hard to beat.

Brahms - Hungarian Dances
Brahms - Hungarian Dances
Offered by Naxos Direct UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Brahms - Hungarian Dances, 24 Sep 2013
This was a lovely CD to lift my mood. It was full of lovely melodies, passion, local colour and fun. A lively CD to keep me motivated while doing jobs I find tedious!

Shostakovich: The Gadfly/Five Days-Five Nights
Shostakovich: The Gadfly/Five Days-Five Nights
Offered by Naxos Direct UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting to know Shostakovich, 24 Sep 2013
I am new to this composer, and bought the CD to try out some of his work, having heard one track on Classic FM. I think I might buy some more of his stuff at a later date, as it was not too modern (which I often find lacks melody and harmony) for my fairly conservative, traditional taste.

Doctor Zhivago [1965] [DVD]
Doctor Zhivago [1965] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Omar Sharif

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Zhivago, second time round., 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Doctor Zhivago [1965] [DVD] (DVD)
I can't believe that I had only seen this film once before, but it's true. Well, I know it worth getting the DVD, as I could still remember scenes quite vividly from that one viewing. I thought it was brilliant piece of entertainment, with the different backdrops showing the inequalities of Russian society, both under the Czar and under the Communists. As always, everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others. Visually stunning, then, but also gripping in the story itself. The love affairs, the political storyline, the humanity of it all. And personally, I got a thrill to be reminded of the young Omar Sharif's good looks!

Renaissance - Music for Inner Peace
Renaissance - Music for Inner Peace
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for inner peace - does what it says on the box!, 18 Aug 2011
Although I feel that the first two tracks are the finest on the album, I do not mean the rest are just OK. Every track has a stilling effect on the mind, and is potentially an antidote to the hyperstimulation we all face in our culture (or lack of it). After a difficult or busy day, listening to this music helps you rise above it all and take time out to be. I do hope others will try this type of music if they haven't before. This album is a great starting place, and the first two tracks at least should be familiar ground. The Barbour has been used on TV so many times in the orchestral version. I'm sure listening to this must be the equivalent of several power naps, or a walk in the country for slowing you down and relaxing. I consider it money well spent.

Death In Venice [1971] [DVD]
Death In Venice [1971] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dirk Bogarde

5.0 out of 5 stars No-one got it!, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Death In Venice [1971] [DVD] (DVD)
I've read all the 5* reviews, and am shocked that no-one actually understood the film/story. Ascenbach is an artist, ie in the work of Thomas Mann, by definition an outsider, an observer, who is dark-haired, dark-eyed, ill and moribund. This is a typical Mann portrayal of European civilisation. He considered that music is the highest of the arts (Aschenbach is a musician), and that European civilisation, and music in particular, had reached its highest point, and was/is now in decline, with the shift from lyrical music of the Classical and Romantic eras to polyphonic work such as Stockhausen etc. Having once reached a pinnacle, the only way to go is down. To have beheld consummate beauty, there remains only decay and death. In addition, Tadzio is the opposite of Aschenbach - blonde, blue-eyed, full of life and health. He is not an artist, not an observer or an outsider. He is involved in life and living it in a way the artist can only envy at a distance. Thus in his death, Aschenbach fulfills his destiny, reaching for and being denied the beauty of life as he sees it in Tadzio. Read Mann's other Novellen or novels and you see these stereotypes crop up over and over again. Toothache is another sign of this decay in characters who are 'artists'. I love this film for its visual beauty, enhanced by the music of Mahler, the great acting and all that other reviewers have talked about, but understanding Mann's intention adds so much to appreciation of it. I do hope this helps someone else to enjoy it more.