Profile for Amanda > Reviews

A Mother's Love
by Rosie Harris
Price: 5.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetative, 29 Aug 2007
This review is from: A Mother's Love (Paperback)
I read this book whilst on a cruise this summer, so hoped for a relaxing read. I enjoyed the book but it kept repeating scenes and situations over and over again, which was very annoying because the story was really good. You just wanted her to get on with it.

I would recommend it though, if you have time on your hands.

Common As Muck!: The Autobiography of Roy 'Chubby' Brown
Common As Muck!: The Autobiography of Roy 'Chubby' Brown
by Roy Chubby Brown
Price: 15.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 27 Aug 2007
I read this book whilst recovering at home from an operation and I loved every minute of it!

I always felt a little wary of Chubby Brown's act because of the sometimes over the top crudity, having seen him live once and watched my Dad's video's of him, but this book changed my mind about the man. It is extremely honest and sincerely written. The last autobiography I read was Peter Kay's and this book is a thousand times better. For a start it tells the whole story, which is what you would expect from a life story...........Mr Kay, take note. I won't be buying part two of yours.

I laughed out loud several times (his favourite chat up line "Do you want to go halves on a baby") and felt very sorry for him when he explained how his Father moved in his new wife and kids and he was forced out of his own home. And how his ex wife prospered greatly despite not having supported him very well. Very sad.

This book is extremely well written. I read it in three sittings and couldn't put it down. Thank you Mr Brown and I wish you continuing good health and happiness. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

One Summer - The Complete Series (2 Disc Set) [1983] [DVD]
One Summer - The Complete Series (2 Disc Set) [1983] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Morrissey
Price: 10.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 22 Feb 2007
I remember loving this series back in 1983 and last year I emailed Ch4 to ask if they had any plans to release it on DVD. They said no. And lo and behold here it is!

I have just finished watching the second disc and I loved it all over again. Laughed out loud in parts and cried at others.

As someone else said, at first it doesn't seem to have aged well, but this is only in the first two episodes. (Grim reality of some youngsters lives in Liverpool, very depressing). The other three are as fresh as if it was filmed yesterday. Stunning scenery in what should be Wales, but is actually filmed in Yorkshire.

Brilliant acting by James Hazledene (what a loss he is) and David Morrisey. Loved the 'specials' at the end of each disc. Really interesting narrative by 'Billy and Icky'. Well done guys. No bull, just a genuine, affectionate look back at a wonderful production.

If you remember this the first time around, buy it. It will take you back to what you were doing in 1983. If you don't remember it, buy it and enjoy one of the best drama's Britain ever made.

The Sound of Laughter
The Sound of Laughter
by Peter Kay

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Sound of Laughter (Hardcover)
I read this book in two days and laughed out loud at some of his memories, but I can't believe it stopped before we got to his partnership with Patrick McGuiness or Pheonix Nights.

He takes a swipe at some people and he comes across a little spoilt & spiteful in parts.

It has some awful spelling and grammar mistakes.It doesn't really tell you that much about his life now. I was very disappointed and glad that I didn't pay the full 18.99 for the book, as that would have been grossly overpriced.