Profile for Philip Quinton > Reviews

Content by Philip Quinton

Philip Quinton "Hot Banana Studio" (Aylesbury)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
BEST Stretch Mark & Scar Treatment - NATURAL ORGANIC Oils & Ingredients - Hypoallergenic - REDUCE, REPAIR & REMOVE STRETCH MARKS From Pregnancy, Surgery, Acne - Works on All Scars and Stretchmarks
Offered by Bizarre.ly

2.0 out of 5 stars Lemony moisturiser., 22 July 2015
A pleasant citrus-infused moisturising lotion made with natural ingredients. According to the instructions a liberal application is to be applied thrice daily to treat stretch marks.
Having now used up the entire bottle there has been no perceptible difference on any stretch marks but it does work as a moisturiser on some persistent dry skin patches.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2015 1:47 PM BST

Raspberry Ketones - Weight Loss Supplement - 100% Pure Raspberry ketones - Max Strength - All Natural Lean Weight Loss Appetite Suppressant Supplement For Men And Woman - 30 Day Supply - 100% Money Back Guarantee - Suitable For Vegetarians - Made In Great Britain

4.0 out of 5 stars Ketogenic booster, 1 July 2015
I am 41 years old, sedentary and morbidly obese. I have been using these initially in conjunction with a Herbalife diet and green coffee capsules and subsequently as part of a low-carb diet without the green coffee capsules. The green coffee capsules were making me anxious and the Herbalife products were doing little to control my nightly cravings. If the raspberry ketones were working with this plan then the effect was not detectable.
I have had some encouraging initial success on the low-carb diet supplemented with the raspberry ketones. It is impossible to know how much the raspberry ketones are contributing to the shrinking of my waistline without discontinuing use and seeing how much harder it gets. I will find out when my supply has run out and report back. There are certainly no unpleasant side-effects and I am feeling better.
At the moment I am getting through the day on a dramatically smaller quantity of food than normal and my energy levels are constant with no periods of lethargy. I am not getting any cravings and my concentration has improved.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2015 5:07 PM BST

Ecomoist Natural Screen Cleaner 50ml with Fine Microfiber Towel
Ecomoist Natural Screen Cleaner 50ml with Fine Microfiber Towel
Offered by Ecozon Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal-clear and smear-free. (Why pay more?), 16 May 2015
Works perfectly on my Macbook Pro Retina screen. Only a small squirt of cleaner and some gentle rubbing has rid my screen of all the little splashes and smears that have accumulated over the last year. The solution is odourless. I bought this instead of the other product that is being sold for about £20 on here, which seems like a pointless waste of money.

UPDATE: I should point out that the product was on sale for less than a tenner when I bought it, I would not pay more than that now that they have put the price up.

(As an irrelevant aside, I find it amusing that the company that produces this has put so much emphasis on it being "Made in U.K." given that the notes on the box were written by someone who has not yet mastered English! Good product though.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2015 8:09 AM BST

Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System
Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System

4.0 out of 5 stars Respectable sound engineered from cheap components, 14 May 2015
This is the first time I have trusted my cash to Bose. I've seen the marketing for years and always assumed that they would be overpriced tat. Having been impressed by the power (if not the transparency) of the Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers I was all set to upgrade to the T40s when I started reading the reviews for these Boses. I liked the idea of having the power and the price bracket of the T40s with a more neutral, transparent sound so I took the plunge.

I work a lot with sound in my regular job and occasionally freelance as a sound recordist/dubbing mixer using a variety of professional studio monitors costing many hundreds of pounds so I know that "neutral" is slightly subjective, but I have always maintained that with the correct filtering and engineering it is possible to get a flat - if limited - frequency response from cheaper domestic speakers. Bose seem to be striving for the apotheosis of this ideal.

The units that I received are slightly smaller than even the Gigaworks T20s and considerably less impressive to look at. Everything has been pared down to an absolute minimum so they aren't flashy at all, which is an approach that appeals to me. The clip-on 3-pin power adapter seems worryingly flimsy and the provided audio cable cheap but adequate. I get the impression of cheapest possible materials being utilised intelligently for a superior sound.

Played at quiet levels - I prefer to listen to things at a modest volume to keep my ears attuned and unfatigued - the bass does gently swathe and slightly dominate the higher frequencies but the mid and treble details still come through clearly like lights through a faint mist. I think this is a result of using the internal acoustics of the speakers to accentuate the weaker bass response of the budget speaker cones. It works but at the slight expense of accurate bass detail. Turned up to a level that can be heard across the room the lower mid tones start to dominate slightly. The higher frequencies are still present but not impressively detailed. These are not speakers you would buy for critical clarity but it would be optimistic to expect that level of perfection from a pair of 2.0 desktop speakers in this price range.

For this sort of product they are not bad. Bose have not achieved entirely neutral sound but they have squeezed the best that they can from the cheap components that I suspect they use. I have read fairly recent articles by people who have dismantled their Bose speakers to find single-driver paper cones doing all of the work. If they could tame that slightly amateurish mid-frequency hump I would be more impressed.

I am not sure that these speakers are entirely worthy of their price tag as I definitely found my old T20s to be just as enjoyable to listen to in spite of their exaggerated bass response however - and this is worth paying attention to - the full sound spectrum definitely carries more completely over distance and to other rooms with the Boses due to their comparative neutrality. The niggling minor mid-range hump may well mellow over time as the speakers are burned in and I can create my own corrective EQ filter in VLC (free media player) in the interim. If they were about £15 cheaper I'd give these 5 stars.

A respectable sound from such a compact pair of 2.0 desktop speakers so a solid 4 stars.

Diztronic Ultra TPU Case for OnePlus One - Full Matte Black
Diztronic Ultra TPU Case for OnePlus One - Full Matte Black

5.0 out of 5 stars OnePlus chunky armour, 20 April 2015
I love my OnePlus One phone. I waited months for an invite to buy one and I snapped it up straight away. I was always worried about it's apparent lack of robustness though. Within two months I had dropped the thing onto a hard floor causing part of the casing to chip off and a small dent to the screen frame. The slightly fragile casing had acted as a crumple zone protecting the phone's inner components but I decided to invest in some shock protection for my favourite smartphone.

The casing is easy to get on, harder to get off (suits me fine) and fits very well. It makes the phone feel more solid and robust in the hand without adding significantly to the bulk. The rim is thick and comes slightly forward of the screen so that when you place the phone face down on a flat surface the screen does not come into contact with that surface. The corners are slightly bulkier than the rest of the casing which makes sense as the corners are more likely to take the impact if you drop the phone. The side buttons are easier to use with the casing on as they are chunkier. There are gaps and holes for the speakers, microphones, USB port, camera lenses, flashlight and headphone socket.

One gripe that I do have however is that the headphone socket hole is not large enough to accommodate some aux cables such as the ones I use for my desktop speakers and car stereo when I want to listen to internet radio on the move. The thickness of the rubber can prevent some wide-necked aux plugs from being fully inserted so you either need to find a narrower aux plug or else peel off the cover. However this is a niggling minor inconvenience.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential oils for body and brain, 20 April 2015
I spend most of my time working long shifts or travelling long distances and it is hard to get into a healthy routine where food is concerned. When I am not getting the right nutrition I become lethargic and unfocused and prone to gout and depression. It's not always practical or possible to grab the right kinds of food when I'm busy or on the road all the time so I routinely take pharmaceutical grade vitamin and mineral supplements and fish oil capsules three times a day to keep the body and brain nourished and ticking along smoothly. A couple of weeks ago I switched from my usual fish oil capsules to these Omega Mix 3-6-9 capsules and I still feel absolutely great. I am still free of gout and joint pains and they are working just as well with my vitamin supplements as my regular fish oil capsules.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2015 4:17 PM BST

Inateck 15.4 Inch MacBook Pro Retina Display Sleeve, Slim Fashionable Ultrabook Netbook Laptop Bag Case Cover MacBook Carrying Case with Pocket and Pouch - Grey
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra protection for your precious Macbook, 17 Nov. 2014
I'd had my Macbook Pro for several months before I got this cover and was keeping it in a standard laptop case with a few accessories rattling around. As a result the case was getting scratched and marked in transit by the other objects in the case. In addition to this the case didn't hold the Macbook securely enough to stop it from rattling around inside the case and which was a cause for concern.

The solution was this very thick felt pouch from Inateck which acts as excellent shock padding for the Macbook and also protects the casing of the Macbook from marks and scratches. The Macbook slides in easily yet snugly and the elasticated band keeps the Macbook from sliding around. The thick felt edges of the pouch cushion the Macbook from shocks and slips and provides a welcome extra layer of protection. The small additional pouch that comes with the bag is useful for accessories or for keeping your smartphone safe.

One little warning: the fabric of the sleeve does stick to velcro and velcro will pull up some of the fibres of the sleeve so that is something to watch out for if you have any velcro straps in your bag.

Very happy with this product, gives me more peace of mind when I'm on the road with my valuable Macbook.

[with OTG Adapter] Inateck USB 3.0 Hub 4-Port with OTG without Power Supply Ideal for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs and Smartphones with OTG Function
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, lightweight, compact, flawless., 11 Oct. 2014
I was sent one of these for free by Inateck to review just over a week ago, but as you can see from the "Verified Purchase" tag I ended up buying one as well because my wife was so impressed by the first one that she took it for her office laptop and won't give it back.
I was also impressed because it worked well straight out of the box and made my work a lot simpler. My laptop is a high-performance Macbook Pro designed to handle a lot of tasks very quickly but Apple, being awkward proprietorial buggers, only put two USB ports on the side which limits practical use for me very quickly when I am using it for sound production or music recording.
The Inateck USB 3 hub is compact, lightweight and sturdy and even with all four ports being used at the same time (MIDI keyboard, external HDD, mouse and audio interface) there is no lag or slowdown in performance or data transfer rate.
Flawless. At this price, a no-brainer.

Samson Advanced Wheatgrass Juicer - Chrome GB 9006
Samson Advanced Wheatgrass Juicer - Chrome GB 9006
Offered by Energise Your Life

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beast, 23 Jun. 2014
Forget wheatgrass, this machine is an animal, it doesn't stop for anything.

I have shoved bagloads of hard and soft veg through this juicer and it just doesn't care, it's remorseless. It gets a bit cloggy if you put too much mushy fruit in but it loves getting its teeth into solid stuff. (I'll have to update this review if I ever get the urge to try and juice soft fruit instead of just eating it.) So far I've tried carrots, apples, pak choi, fresh ginger, lemons (with peel), limes (with peel), cucumber and leftover mango peelings! The juice does tend to have a tiny bit of "grit" at the bottom but there is a seive supplied if you are completely anti-fibre.

I replaced the filter with the black mincer nozzle and it rattled through a whole bag of almond nuts in seconds, turning them into a series of pulped pellets for making almond butter.

The ultimate test was some deep-frozen fruit that I'd sliced up in advance to test this. Being able to handle rock-hard frozen fruit was one of the reasons I chose this over other juicers, and older models. Frozen bananas, frozen sliced mangos, frozen blueberries and raspberries. The motor did complain a bit more than the other stuff and jammed when I overfilled the tube with frozen blueberries so I just put the motor into reverse to clear the blockage then shoved down another frozen banana - soon got everything moving again! Squeezed out that rock-hard fruit like soft-scoop ice cream! Long, multicoloured coils of pulped frozen tutti-frutti winding out into the bowl. Mixed it all together, tasted like very fruity ice cream or really creamy sorbet.

Normally I wouldn't fork out so much money for a fancy food processor but this has a full 15 year warranty which I had confirmed by the distributor. Anyway, I like it, I like being full of properly fresh juice and good bio-available vitamins. If I get any probs in 14 years time I'll let you know.

Wifi Booster
Wifi Booster

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work and can not possibly work., 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Wifi Booster (App)
Let's be clear, an app on your mobile device is not going to boost digital signal or reception in the real world. It cannot. It may drain your battery a little faster and give you lots of pop-ups while it scans the data on the rest of your device but it *cannot* improve wireless reception.

The nearest working downloadable solution to a patchy digital signal is an app called Free Network Signal Repair which merely resets/refreshes all the connections but even this can not make a network signal stronger or boost transmission.

If you are having problems with your wi-fi or network reception you'd be better off simply restarting your phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12