Profile for addicted2amazon > Reviews

addicted2amazon

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Another success from Kong, 2 July 2011
I bought this having previously purchased other Kong products that I was highly satisfied with (including a puppy kong, teething stick, 2 wubba's and several kong air balls).
The small size is about half the size of the bigger version, and I'm glad they released a small one as I think the larger one would have been too big for my two young Westies. The shape is like most kong products, and a small surface area at the bottom ensures that it can freely stand, so that only pressure will make it wobble. Not too much pressure is needed though so makes it ideal for puppies, and no matter how far you push it over it will always go back to it's upright position. It reminds me a bit of the classic children's toy, the "Weebles". I thought the rocking motion would made the treats spill out at all sorts of angles, but it doesn't which is a relief so you don't have lots of clear up. I find my dogs enjoy it, but won't play with it for long periods of time, maybe as they get bored at working for a whole meal or that they'd hope something nicer like treats will come out. The products say up to 25kg, and it is lasting. After a few uses there is not as much as a scratch. As for general enjoyment, it doesn't keep them as entertained as their other Kong products, and they do have one of those board games for treat dispensing which they enjoy more, but still a top product. Would recommend.

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children)
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children)
by Jean M. Auel
Price: 8.27

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mixture of fiction and non-fiction, 24 Jun 2011
Having the Earth's Children series of books recommended by my Dad, who read them when he was young, and being the "youth" that I am, I was skeptical. However I was pleasantly surprised.
If you are not interested in evolution at all, then don't waste you're time, I can tell you now this book isn't for you.
The book is about a girl named Ayla. She is Cro Magnon (also known as Early Modern Human's). Through circumstances (which I shall not spoil for you), she ends up living and being raised by Neanderthals.
Being about 500 pages long, the book is surprisingly fast paced. By page 5 there's been a natural disaster that kills loads of people, which was a pleasant change from books where usually by page 5 they haven't even finished describing the scenery yet. The book also covers several years. I know the book starts when Ayla is 5 but I'm not quite sure how old she is when it finishes. I'd guess 13 based on events. (numbers aren't mentioned much as they weren't considered as important as they are these days, plus Neanderthal's weren't that good at understanding them).
There's a lot of great information in the book, but it's not given in a boring way. For example, they go on a mammoth hunt, and it is explained how each part of the carcass is chosen whether there is any point in taking it back to cave, and what it will be used for. A lot of research has obviously been put into this book as even a map of how the land would have been at the time is included at the front. As Ayla is primarily raised by Iza (the medicine woman) and Creb (the "Mog-Ur" or Magician), there is another load of interesting information about plants, medicines, healing, religion/beliefs, festivals etc. Other aspects are explained well such as Clan position ranking order and how men and women act. There's also birth's and death's within the book, the making of tools, hunting, clan gathering, drugs and even a tiny of Cannibalism. The book has it all.
Don't think of the book as an easy read too much, as there are some animals and plants mentioned that you will not know what they are (unless you've studied this type of history), so you may take a few notes and google them.
As for the ending, it's left in such a way that you know the second book will bring a whole load of new adventures and experiences. I'm eagerly looking forward to reading the second.
I found when reading the book I was constantly making comparisons to modern day life. The medicine seems quite similar to Chinese medicine, it was not uncommon to have more than one "mate", which is still common in a lot of cultures these days, and most incredibly when Ayla makes shoes for the winter with fur, I could just imagine Ugg boots.
The only criticism I have is that the language and sentence structure does seem a bit too sophisticated to what they probably would have used. However, if the language had been simplified, it would have been a lot more annoying to read.
Over all a great read.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this fleece!, 24 Jun 2011
The fleece is really soft. Isn't that fluffy and doesn't shed. It's a lovely shade of blue, very neutral so it doesn't stand out in a room, would even be great for a new born baby boy. Good size and good value for money. Can also be machine washable, so easy to clean. I love to use mine as an extra layer on the bed or to cuddle on the sofa with a hot water bottle.

Ancol Nylon Couple 30cm x 20mm
Ancol Nylon Couple 30cm x 20mm
Price: 4.77

4.0 out of 5 stars An essential accessory, 24 Jun 2011
Positives:
- No more struggling to hold two dog leads
- No more getting tangled with each other
- No more jealousy of "I want to walk infront"
- Easy to attach to leads
- Can be used in the car if there's only one belt buckle free

Negatives:
- If one dog likes to pull and the other like to walk with the lead loose by your side, the nicer, sane, happy dog is going to get dragged behind
- If you're boy is determined to mark his territory, because there isn't that much space for the other to move out the way, they will have sometimes get a bit of wee on them

Neutral:
- Extends the length of the lead by a few inches

I'm glad I bought it, and I think I will enjoy it more as my second dog grows, as at the moment he's dragging her along.

Understanding Crime Data: Haunted by the Dark Figure (Crime and Justice)
Understanding Crime Data: Haunted by the Dark Figure (Crime and Justice)
by Clive Coleman
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My essay in a book, 24 Jun 2011
I had an essay in my first year of Uni about the dark figure of crime. I was lucky enough to find this book in the library, I took it home with me and sat there for the rest of the night doing my essay. Fantastic book for looking up useful statistics and other information. Also not to big and bulky to carry around and with not too much information you have to wade through to get to what you want. When I got my essay back I had a pass, so can't complain. Would recommend if you have an essay on the subject or just for some general background reading. May be worth buying as they are hard to come by around essay deadlines.

The Winter Ghosts
The Winter Ghosts
by Kate Mosse
Price: 6.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Winter Ghosts (Paperback)
I wish I had looked on Amazon before I bought this book, seeing that it only has 3 stars. I bought this as an impulse buy in a book shop as the cover was attracting me and the back made the book seem interesting.
The first chapter started off well, as by chapter two, we are taken back a few years in time as he tells his story. I'd say from the start of chapter two, to about page 80, the book is quite boring. In the space of those pages, nothing happens other than arrives at where the main story is going to take place. It does pick up from there but by the ending, I was quite disappointed. The ending seemed too predictable, it had been obvious who the ghosts where. There was a slight twist, but not one big enough to make you think "I didn't see that coming". If you're thinking of reading this book as someone who is interested in World War One (as someone for example, who was interested in World War Two read the Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas would), then don't. There is nothing much about the War in it, apart from that his brother, for whom he is still mourning for, died during the War.
The book is quite good at setting an atmosphere, but I suppose it would be easy to set an erie atmosphere during snow and fog. The description is done well, but sometimes it can be annoying as it takes too much attention and time away from what is actually happening.
The book isn't that long, only about 240 pages. I thought it would have been longer when picking it up, but after reading it I saw that the last 50 or so pages are filled with Author's notes, points for discussion, the inspiration for the story. Which having not enjoyed the book, I was not at all interested in.
I can quite honestly say that this will be first and last Kate Mosse book.

The Simpsons: Hit & Run (GameCube)
The Simpsons: Hit & Run (GameCube)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best Simpsons game?, 24 Jun 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this, getting quite tired of my wii games, and wanting something different.
Let's start with the basics. There are 7 levels. In each level you complete 7 missions, find 7 collector cards, destroy 20 wasp camera's, collect coins, compete in 1 extra mission, purchase 3 outfits, find numerous "gags" (the number of gags varies in each level), compete in 3 different races, find new cars (you get a new 1 with each level, 3 you have to buy, 1 comes from completing the extra mission and 1 comes from completing the races) and also a wager race where you can win coins. You play as Homer, Bart, Lisa, Marge and Apu. Homer and Bart play 2 levels each. I know that sounds a bit complicated at first but it really isn't.
The story is about these mysterious black vans and wasp camera's appearing everywhere. You have to find out what is happening, which I won't spoil for you, but it does involve Kodos in Kang.
What I like about the game:
. You can play as Apu, which I have never seen in any other Simpsons game before
. The character outfits. You can purchase various ones including Homer's Chosen One outfit from the Stonecutters, Marge's Chanel Suit, Lisa's Cool outfit from when they borrow Ned's beach house, Bart's Hugo outfit (his evil twin from Treehouse of Horror) and Apu's American outfit from when he gains his citizenship.
. The cars. There are some really great ones, including the Canyonero, Malibu Stacey Convertible, School Bus, Snake's Bandit, and my personal favourite, the car Homer built that made Herb broke. Not all the cars are great, and you will need to use different ones depending on the type of mission, but from a nostalgic point of view there's a good choice.
. The way Springfield is laid out. All the great buildings are there. The Simpson's House, The Flander's, Krusty Burger, the Kwik-E-Mart, Burn's Mansion, Power Plant, Retirement Castle, Elementary School, the Duff Brewery and even the Stonecutter's secret entrance to the Power Plant. They've also including the treehouse and Ned's bomb shelter.
. If you have tried and tried a mission, and you still can not do it, a "skip" option will become available when asked if you want to retry the mission. This is available on every mission (I think), except the final one (which seems fair enough).
. The graphics. In my opinion, they are better than the graphics on the wii Simpsons game for gameplay, but not so much for the cutscenes.
. Cutscenes can be skipped if you want
. If you haven't completed the level, such as finding all the cards, don't worry. You can still progress to the next level.
. The phrases the characters such, which sound so typical of them. E.g. Homer says "oh I dropped by Kebab" sometimes when you crash. They're also done by the voice actors on the show.
. The cards you can collect. These have items on them from what most people call the best Simpson seasons. We have Lisa's "Lisa Lionheart" doll, Bart's Bort number plate from Itchy and Scratchy land, the Monkey Paw from Treehouse of Horror, the Mr Plow jacket, to name a few.
. You can also get out of your vehicle and explore (which is also needed to get some of the cards and other collectables). So you can do things such as climb Lard Lad or kick Nelson, what ever you feel like.

What I don't like about the game:
. Many of the tasks repeat themselves. In the missions you either have to collect items, race another vehicle or destroy another vehicle or before time runs out. There isn't really variation on that.
. At first you have loads of coins, then they're hard to find.
. Sometimes it's too easy to get a Hit and Run when completing a mission (which you get from running people over and hitting lamp posts etc).

Overall I would recommend this game, to anyone who likes the Simpsons (obviously), driving games, or both! The game has characters, clothing, cars and cars with items from the best seasons. As for any top tips I can give you, don't spend all your coins at once, sometimes you need them to purchase cars and clothing to complete mission. Look for short cuts, you'll need them if the mission is timed. Look for the best vehicle for the job, one that is stronger such as the Duff truck is best for smashing other cars. Look around the level before doing a mission to get yourself familiar with the environment (there are 3 environments in total), doing this you'll usually find more coins and cards anyway. Another great thing, if you get stuck and need help, or if you're still unsure about purchasing the game, look at tutorials/walkthrough's on youtube. There are no differences between platforms (unlike other games), the missions are the same, the cards are in the same places etc.

SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERY MACHINE SNAP TOGETHER MODEL KIT
SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERY MACHINE SNAP TOGETHER MODEL KIT

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 16 Mar 2011
I know the term waste of money is used a lot, but this is probably the biggest waste of money I have ever encountered.
The kit looked great on the outside of the box. I opened up the kit and everything was neatly packaged. However the trouble began when I started building the model.
Shaggy and Scooby are quite literally held in place by having two plastic pieces in their bum stuck into the seat. However, the plastic on their bums doesn't fit into the seat so they move freely around the model. Not only do Shaggy and Scooby not quite fit properly, but neither do many of the other pieces (e.g. lights, roof bars). The hardest part to fit was the inside seats, as the models fell out of the van, and the seats knocked the lights out of place. You may find yourself, unsnapping the items together to re-snap items that became unsnapped (if that makes sense). The bumped became unsnapped so many times in the end, the part that snapped together snapped off, so now the bumper is half on half off. The stickers that go on the Mystery Machine are pretty badly made, they rip easily and when pressing the stickers on to make sure they don't come off, the paint can fade.
But the worst part of the kit is that the axels were not included, meaning my machine does not have wheels. I now have to find a way of getting the axels. You can order them offline, but you have to pay, and since the kit comes all the way from America, it is very expensive.
I know in America the kits sell for $10-20, makes me regret wasting my []
Please don't buy it. If you want so save time and stress, just buy a mystery machine toy, I think character or some other toy company make them.

Nivea Visage Tinted Moisturising Day Cream Natural 50ml
Nivea Visage Tinted Moisturising Day Cream Natural 50ml
Price: 1.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely product, 10 Feb 2011
I've been using this a few days and it's been great. I bought it to give me a more even skin tone, as I don't like using heavy foundation or generally a lot of make up. It has lots of pro's
- evened out my skin tone
- you don't need a lot of it, so it'll last quite a while
- it doesn't have any weird smells
- it's easy to apply
- doesn't feel heavy
- easy to wash off at night
- has nice packing

I would recommend this to anyone. Especially to those who don't like heavy make up, are new to make up, or want to wear make up but don't want other people to know they are wearing it.

Toy Story 3D Mr Potato Head Bubble Bath And Shower Gel.
Toy Story 3D Mr Potato Head Bubble Bath And Shower Gel.
Offered by Clearance Goods Direct
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A great novelty gift, 10 Feb 2011
I received one of these for Christmas, it made a perfect stocking filler. My Potato Head is made of pretty strong plastic. His arms move, and to open him, you lift his hat and unscrew the top. He's pretty big and hollow. They filled him up generously with the bubble bath/shower gel. He should last a long time. I used him as shower gel, obviously the amount of time he lasts depends on how much you use him, but i got about 16-18 washes out of him.

Page: 1 | 2