Profile for Mark > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit TPU Case for Nexus 5 - White
Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit TPU Case for Nexus 5 - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection, discolours easily, 15 Mar. 2014
Offers good protection with cut-out areas for the appropriate ports and buttons. It's a very good fit for the phone. It's shown in the product photo with a black Nexus, but looks better on my white Nexus.
It's picked up the colour of my jeans by spending time in my pocket, especially around the corners. I don't know if anything could be done about this, but it looses a star just because it doesn't look as smart as it did.
It shipped from abroad and took quite some time to arrive in the UK.

Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test  Dual Hormone Indicator- (Pack of 10)
Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test Dual Hormone Indicator- (Pack of 10)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack or re-usability, but easy to read, 15 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The lack of re-usability (you can't buy extra test sticks on their own) is a bit of a let down. I'd like to see fewer disposable electronic products and more that allow for the electronic components to be re-used later on. This is quite pricey for one month's supply, so allowing for extra test sticks to be purchased separately would have helped with the price. Cheaper tests are available, but after doing some reading this looks to be one of the best testers out there. It claims to identify extra fertile days that no other tester can, but this is quite hard for me to verify. If it's true, it's quite a claim that probably makes it worth the money.

I'm assured by my partner that it is an easy product to use, so no complaints there. It's certainly very easy to read the results, with a clear indication of peak fertility. I can certainly see how this would help - it turns out to be earlier than we had though, so it's possible that we missed fertility windows in previous months. That information alone is useful, even if you decide to not use the test in future months.

As for results? Well, no baby yet, but I feel like we've got a better idea of peak fertility times for next month.

Koolpad Qi Wireless Charger Pad compatible with Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7, Moto 360 Watch, Nokia Lumia 830, 735, 920, 930, 1520, Blackberry Z30, Catphone S50, Asus Padfone S PF500KL, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note 3, Note 4, Alpha with PWRcard & SlimPWRcard, iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5, 5C, 5S with iQi Mobile, and Other Qi-Enabled Tablets & Phones(Black)
Offered by Fonesalesman

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty., 5 Dec. 2013
These have a bright green / blue light that glows all night. They also beep when they connect with a phone. Mine beeped during the night when I was trying to sleep, so it went back for a refund. I did love it, and I'll have another wireless charger, just not another one of these. 2 stars because it kind of worked, but disturbed my sleep.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2013 2:22 PM GMT

Philips Master GU10 6-50 Watt LED 4000 K 25D MV Spot Light, Cool White
Philips Master GU10 6-50 Watt LED 4000 K 25D MV Spot Light, Cool White
Offered by Philips LED Specialist

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best LED bulbs I've used, 31 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My initial reaction to switching this bulb on was that it is quite blue. It is a cool light, not what you might be used to if you're currently using a halogen bulb. The colour is even and not unpleasant, though I personally prefer a warmer light. The light is almost instant - about half a second to warm up.

The shape of the bulb creates a spot of light, tighter than a normal halogen. If you're looking to put light in one place, or possibly have a few of these in a room to light different areas, then this would be a good thing for you. The spot of light means that more light is concentrated in one area.

I thought that this bulb was just as bright as a 50w halogen bulb, with the added advantage of using much less electricity. It doesn't have a bulky heat sink like most competing bulbs, so it might be possible to fit it in smaller fittings that don't allow for heat sinks. After an hour of use this bulb did get quite hot - possibly as a result of the reduced heat sink - but as we are used to bulbs getting hot with usage I'm sure this won't be a problem. The build quality is fantastic, the best I've seen from an LED bulb. There's very little glass, so it's not an object that feels like it's going to break in your hand.

Of course, the main issue is the price. I have several cheaper LED bulbs in my house already, and they're saving quite a bit on my electricity bill, but I don't know if I could afford to fill a house with these bulbs. The price of the technology continues to drop, and I would like to see LED bulb usage overtake the competing (cheaper) CFL bulbs.

Philips GU10 50 Watt MV Master LED Spot 6, 2700 K, Warm White
Philips GU10 50 Watt MV Master LED Spot 6, 2700 K, Warm White
Offered by Philips LED Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars The best LED lamp I've tried., 1 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I currently have ten LED lamps installed in various rooms of my house, both GU10 and bayonet fittings. I have to say that I am impressed with the Philips lamps. They are the best LED lamps I've ever seen. They are not as cheap as others, but the light colour and quality is much better than cheaper alternatives. I can't comment on the lifespan of this bulb, but I was always changing halogen bulbs before I replaced most of them with LEDs. I've not had to replace a single blown LED bulb.

The size of the lamp much more closely fits halogen bulbs. Usually LED lamps have a bulky heatsink which increases the size of the bulb. Probably as a result the Philips bulbs do run hotter than the other bulbs I have, but they are still a lot cooler than a halogen. If you've had trouble with LED lamps in the past because of a tight fitting, these might be the answer.

The colour more closely simulates the colour of a halogen bulb than any other I have seen, but it is not 100%. I'm very happy with the colour of this bulb though and will not go back to the halogen it has replaced. Some people say that the light from these bulbs is not as bright as a 50w halogen, but I could not tell the difference.

These are 'spot' bulbs and have a reasonably narrow beam of light. The light all comes from the glass in the centre of the front of the bulb. For me this is a positive because I will use this lamp for reading.

I hope the price on these lamps does come down in time because they are very expensive. They are probably still worth the money you will save on your electricity bill if they are put in a high-use area of the house, like a kitchen or bathroom. If these were not the best LED lamps I've ever seen they would lose a star or two from my rating because of the price.

Lensbaby 50 mm Spark Selective Focus Lens for Canon
Lensbaby 50 mm Spark Selective Focus Lens for Canon

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not "perfect every time", 22 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lens is FUN! You will not get perfect results every time, half of the shots that I get from it are not in focus at all. But that's OK, it's a fun lens to use, it has a unique look to it, and it is unique. The lensbaby website contains some excellent videos and articles to teach you how to use it. You will need to be taught how to use the lens, it doesn't work like a "normal" lens. Plenty of practice will be needed just to be able to focus with it.

Certainly not an indoors lens, I found that it needed to be used outdoors. This lens requires a lot of light before sensible shutter speeds become usable. Set your expectations to "lomo" as well! Certainly not a lens I would use every day, but it is small and light enough to throw in a camera bag for occasional use. It's a lot cheaper than most other lenses, so if you like the look of the images it produces, it's something that you could buy and not regret the cost of.

Mine came with plastic caps for each end of the lens, a cloth bag and a card box, just the right amount of packaging. The included sample photographs look great cropped to a square format.

If you're looking for something a little more serious, but still with a lensbaby look, the "Edge 80" optic with the "Composer" might be more to your tastes, but if you're just after something cheap and fun, this lens might be just what you're looking for.

Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Breastpump
Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Breastpump

5.0 out of 5 stars A big help in a worrying time., 22 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this pump at a worrying time - my son would not breast feed. He would take milk from a bottle, but I did not want to feed him on formula. A breast pump was the only option for us. Cheap hand pumps worked, but were uncomfortable and took a long time to use. These are products that will often be used by a tired mum with a hungry baby, so they really need to be as easy to use as possible.

I can say without doubt that this pump will produce more milk in less time than a hand pump, and is so much easier to use. It does need to be assembled when it first arrives, but it is quite easy to slot together. It will run from AA batteries, but the mains adapter (provided) works brilliantly. My son would not use the supplied calma, but each baby is different.

Is it worth it? Yes. This pump took a lot of the worry away from both of us during a worrying time. I'm so glad that we had it.

FX Factory 1 Amp USB Mains Charger for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, HTC, Kindle, Tom Tom, Navman

4.0 out of 5 stars Budget charger, 4 Jan. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This budget charger will charge most of your USB devices, but comes without a cable. It's a 1 amp charger, so it will probably be slow to charge tablet devices like the iPad. I've had no compatibility issues with any of my devices, and most importantly it charges my HTC mobile at the same rate as the charger that came with the phone. There are no options to change the voltage of the device, so you're stuck with 5v.

The plug itself is reasonably compact. It is the sort of charger I would take with me while on the move and just the sort of thing I use at home. It's finished in gloss black. There is a blue light on the front of the charger that glows very brightly when it's in use. Too brightly for me to use in the bedroom at night without some black tape over it.

There doesn't appear to be any form of overcharging protection.

I was going to rate this as three stars, but I'm giving it four because of the very affordable price and the fact that I won't need to boot my laptop to charge my iPod touch (comes without a mains plug).

Kodak PlayFull ZE1 Full HD 1080P, Image Stabilisation with Built-in USB Arm - Blue/Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, go everywhere marvel., 21 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Kodak PlayFull is held in portrait orientation when in use, as you would a mobile phone, but it produces landscape video. This is a great feature that makes the camera easier to hold and use. It is seriously small, holding it in a landscape orientation would feel un-natural. There's a small screen on the back that lets you see what you're doing and some easy to use buttons to allow you to use the various functions on the camera. I was able to use it out of the box without reading the instructions, so it's intuitive to use. It looks, and feels, fun to use! As a video recorder it is small and cheap, so don't expect top quality results.

The built-in mic picks up sound well. Sound quality is clear, but not amazing. Any clicks from using the buttons while recording are picked up by the mic. You can zoom while recording, but because of the clicking sound this produces on the video I don't use this function. There is no external mic function. The built in speaker is horrible, but it's not really needed as you'll probably be watching the videos on a TV or PC anyway.

There is a full selection of cables in the box. I've not needed to buy anything else to use the camera. The USB lead that you need to charge the camera and download movies is actually included in the camera itself as a pop-out lead, so you'll never be without it when out and about, and you'll never lose it. The only other thing you might want to buy is a mini tripod - there is a screw thread for tripods on the bottom of the camera.

There's built in memory for a couple of photos or several of seconds of video, but this is just to allow you to trial the camera. You will need to provide an SD card. I use a 4gb card which provides loads of space.

Don't expect amazing photographs from it. It's certainly a usable camera for being out and about, but most modern mobile phones will produce better shots. There is no flash.

I don't take a mobile on holiday, being afraid of large roaming charges. It's also stood up to outdoor rock climbing, which I wouldn't trust my mobile with.

The bundled software is hard to use and isn't required to download your videos. Try it, but I don't think it's great. The feature that allows you to upload your video to Facebook, for example, is more of a chore to use than the video uploader on Facebook's website.

Akira [DVD]
Akira [DVD]
Dvd ~ Katsuhiro Ôtomo

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reworking of a classic, 21 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Akira [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A brilliant reworking of a classic! The colours are bright and punchy, the sound very detailed. For the price you can't go wrong either.

It's been a good number of years since the last time I saw Akira, and the AV kit that I saw it on originally doesn't hold a candle to the flatscreen / 5.1 offerings of today. Well worth a re-watch on modern kit, especially if you just have an ageing VHS copy. Released in 1988 it looks even better now than it did back then.

If you're an anime fan you need to see this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4