Profile for Windy > Reviews

Running My Life - The Autobiography
by Seb Coe
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Prepared to be Inspired !, 28 April 2013
I've just finished this book and I must confess I did not want this to end. This was such an entertaining read. Fascinating, humorous, inspirational and uplifting from start to finish.

Being around the same age, I've grown up watching many of Seb Coe's achievements from Olympic titles to world records. In his book he talks honestly and frankly about his rivalry with Steve Ovett, life as a politician, how the political system works, working for William Hague, and the absorbing, honest, enlightening, and at times comical revelations of how the Olympics were won.

I've been surprised at some of the revelations that have been made in this book, especially about mainstream political figures, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Ken Livingstone, Boris Johnson, he holds nothing back.

His honesty and at times humorous anecdotes are what makes this book so enjoyable. His recap of the Olympics rekindled those wonderful feelings of bursting pride and magical spirit that consumed everyone. His recall of issues surrounding the obtaining of planning permission for Greenwich equestrian events, the exploits of our athletes and his recapping of the positive comments that other global entities were saying about our Olympics. All of this was hugely entertaining.

This book is truly inspirational, and although he's already achieved more than many of us can only dream about, it seems Sebastian Coe is not ready to sit back just yet, as illustrated with his closing comments. "Although my children consider me ancient, I'm still only in my mid fifties. And while I may no longer hope to run faster, jump higher or be stronger, there's still a lot I want to do with my life. I'm not ready to slow down yet"