Profile for Mr. Simon A. Hailes > Reviews

Content by Mr. Simon A. H...

Mr. Simon A. Hailes (Belfast)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives Lost England and how to Get It Back
Price: 1.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, basic recipe for an "alternative" culural and political revolution., 16 July 2014
I got this yesterday for 2.80 and read it in about 2 hours. I already hold most of the authors views through reading American libertarian literature by people like Laurence Vance, Ron Paul and Conservative Pat Buchanan, as well as Peter Hitchens and various other stuff.
I am a Conservative, Christian, Libertarian and believe in a government with the least power and individuals with the maximum freedom. I don't believe in foreign wars, only defense and I believe there should be no laws for or against any kind of discrimination, free speech, thought, word or deed; on any issue that doesn't break what should be a small, simple, basic, understandable, tough: criminal law.
The author presents the current government (labour or conservative) as the agresive propagator of a false ideology, which dominates through power (state violence) education, media and all the huge, powerful arms of the state.
His revolutionary solution, if a truly conservative government got into power (the conservative party he rightly points out, is just a furtherance of the neo Marxist revolution, under a slightly different guise, but not truly conservative or freedom loving) it would sack about a third of the arms of the state, end the BBC and de-nationalize education, but keep the welfare state and de-corporatize business; among other things. The crown would be an open issue depending upon its use and republicanism would be a viable option.
Where I would disagree with the author would be on his commitment to "secularism". I think he could be a bit nave about this and the relationship between Christianity (especially evangelical Protestantism) and individual value, freedom and rights; and the reverse the effect of secular humanist, atheist, agnostic, ideology and the erosion of these things in society, politics and culture.
I still think it is a small book well worth reading by any freedom lovers and should open doors to new ideas and areas of investigation.

Simon Hailes.

UNFORMED AND UNFILLED PB: A Critique of the Gap Theory
UNFORMED AND UNFILLED PB: A Critique of the Gap Theory
by WESTON FIELDS
Price: 7.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Lies and straw men, 11 July 2014
Why the lies and miss-representations?
I have been reading a few books on the gap fact, as there seems to be a God given gap fact renaisence in recent times, so I decided to get this for 2 to read more than a couple of paragraphs in a young earth book against it.
1st disagreement. The false claim that the gap fact began with Thomas Chalmers. This is no more true than saying Young Earth only began with Henry Morris. It also allows the author to set up a straw man "Gap Theory" which no one or few believe, or may have various sub views that don't match it exactly. Therefore claiming no pre chalmers Gap Fact/Ruin reconstruction believer can be used as proof of pre chalmers belief in it. This as bogus as saying no Young Earth Creationists excisted before Morris ect.
2nd implying that all Gap Creationists believe it to accomadate geological/ages/or even evolution (Dawin was 5 when Chalmers wrote about the gap fact).
3: claiming no one can come to the Gap Fact through basic bible believing study, when a great many of them do come through that route.
4: claiming it undermines the gospel. This is just a satanic lie.
5: Claiming no Hebrew/Greek scholar believes it, when many of the best do.
I think holding a Young Earth view (which may or may not be true, the church catholic is not unified or consistant on this issue)as a fundamental people have to believe would be like doing the same with true biblical geocentrism. Basically useless and undermining of the effectiveness of the gospel.
This book is OK but rating reflects the fact that I disagree with it and the fact that it doesn't really deal with the gap fact held and defended in the half dozen or so modern books on the subject or their arguments. It is basically shallow for the cheer leaders.
God blesse.

Zeva Damascus Steel 7" Chefs Santoku Knife
Zeva Damascus Steel 7" Chefs Santoku Knife
Offered by Zeva Mundial Knives, Scissors & Manicure
Price: 25.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality. Reasonably priced. Ravor sharp from box., 3 July 2014
This comes razor sharp out of the box. It can shave hairs off the back of your hand. Weighs 185g. I've had it for 2 days and have got rid of a load of cheap knives I'd accumulated. It is great to use.
I was thinking of the Wusthof classic santoku for 70 but after reading the reviews of the Mundial knifes on Amazon USA, it appears that their highest price knives compare favouribly with Wusthof. Something to do with them being made in Brazil by a German.
On their website these are about the same price as the most expensive Mundials, they seem to be the same company, so I decided to take a gamble on this at 28 with postage.
I don't know if this is as good as Wusthof and other professional quality knifes but for the price it is better than anything else I have seen for 30 or less, so I would well recommend it.

Porlex Tall Hand Grinder
Porlex Tall Hand Grinder
Offered by FUJI JAPANEU
Price: 32.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, tough, nice job., 19 Jun 2014
I got this after reading the 4 hour chef and I'm really glad I got this one and not the other ,plastic, one he really prefers (with the handle from this one). Some reviews have said the plastic leaches into the coffee and it is not as durable, I wouldn't know, but at about the same price I opted for the tough stainless steel option.
I've had this for nearly 1 1/2 years and have ground 2 cups worth nearly every day and dropped it a few times and it is still holding up well. I've also used this for grinding grains now and again, which it handles well, apart from barley, which seems to be too soft.
I've had no problem using and it is simple to take apart and adjust to required setting. It doesn't come with English instructions but these can be got online.
I didn't have to pay the tax so I guess that is just luck of the draw as to whether you get stuck with that or not.
I never clean the burr, except if I grind something other than coffee, which I think gives the brew a bit of character.
All in all I can strongly recommend this as a sturdy, well made and useful tool.

Rightly Dividing the Word
Rightly Dividing the Word
by Clarence Larkin
Price: 6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great in its own right but shadowed by Dispensational Truth, 28 May 2014
This is a great book. I read the hardback years ago but I ordered this cheaper paperback version recently and it is a very good copy. Solid and well bound and well printed. Well worth the money.
It basically contains a chapter devoted to fundamental doctrines and various dispensational teachings like Standing and State, illustrated with charts and drawings.
It is quite different to Dispensational Truth and compliments it quite well.
I would recommend it to anyone who wants a solid grasp of bible believing theology.
God bless thee.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

The Warrior Diet: Switch on Your Biological Powerhouse for High Energy, Explosive Strength, and a Leaner, Harder Body
by Ori Hofmekler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unscientific approach to nutrition and excercise that works!, 26 April 2014
I've had this for a few years as well as the original dragon door hard cover and I've read them both twice and I love them.
They are slightly different on the exercise chapter and the recipe chapter mainly. He was moving away from meat in this one and toward superset exercise. But they are both excellent. His latest book on muscle recommends frequent protein feedings for building muscle so none of it is set in stone.
The unscientific argument is ridiculous considering "science" has been notorious in the last 100 years for messing up diet and nutrition leading to less health. I take a Weston Price type approach which works well with the ideology presented in this book, which is basically to get off agresive tasting processed foods and develop a subtle taste incorporating all tastes and textures and eat light or nothing in the day and eat big in the evening.
I have rotated on and off this for about 4 years and keep coming back to it as it is simpler, easier to control what you eat and gives me bundles of energy and good physical feeling in the day.
I like the impulsive interesting writing style and it is interesting that some kind of intermittent fasting (5/2 for example, or 6 hour window) has been proven to have multiple health benefits. This is just an intuitive variation of these things.
It is definitely worth a consideration and if you are not sure check out some of the online stuff before buying the book.

The Broken Compass: How British Politics lost its way
The Broken Compass: How British Politics lost its way
by Peter Hitchens
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 April 2014
Another moving indictment of modern politics and the degeneration and social decay of modern Britain. I wish Hitch would get positively, practically involved.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

Build Muscle, Lose Fat, Look Great: Everything You Need to Know to Transform Your Body
by Stuart McRobert

5.0 out of 5 stars Mcroberts best (in my opinion), 23 April 2014
I've read all the other Brawn books and if you just want to get one this is probably the all round best. Same old but a lot bigger.

One Book Rightly Divided: The Key to Understanding the Bible
One Book Rightly Divided: The Key to Understanding the Bible
by Douglas D. Stauffer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to (sound) dispensational biblical theology., 23 April 2014
I've read this a couple of times and really enjoyed and benefited from it. I think the Bible Believers Guide to Dispensationalism is better but this is a fine dispensational approach to understanding the whole teaching of the Bible.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

Huge Book of Classical Guitar Solos in TAB: Play Weddings or Any Gig with These Great Arrangements of Music from the Renaissance to Ragtime
by Alfred Publishing Staff
Price: 21.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge but fairly mediocre collection., 17 April 2014
The upside is: this is massive and the tab is accurately done.
But the downside is the selections are'nt too great. There is loads on Mozart, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven but there is just not a good selection of actual classical guitar pieces.
Also most of the pieces are from about grade 2 or 3 to grade 5 or 6. There is very little really good stuff. It is still OK for practice as there is a fair bit that is'nt in other tab collections, although any of the really well known peices you probably already have.
If you want more challenging harder peices of tab; Master works for guitar is a lot better than this and is my faviroute tab collection, although I am still glad I bought this for the stuff I don't have.
God blessee,