Profile for hirsty > Reviews

Energy Saver Powerdown Surge Protection TV Plug Remote Power Down Sensor EON
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd
Price: 4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 18 Jun 2014
I got one of these directly from EON when I was with them, it's fantastic - when I turn off my TV with the TV remote it turns it off properly (not onto standby) along with the PlayStation, surround-sound amp etc, basically all the stuff that only needs to be on at the same time as the telly. The permanent on side of the socket leaves my Humax PVR working normally so that'll keep recording.

Brilliant for under a fiver, every home should have one.

Efergy Technologies ENGAGE HUB 1.1 In-Home Energy Monitor
Efergy Technologies ENGAGE HUB 1.1 In-Home Energy Monitor
Offered by EnergyMonitorWorld
Price: 50.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited / inadequate - needs more development of both hardware & software, 18 Jun 2014
Seemed to work fine when installed initially, but having played with it in more detail there are a few problems / flaws:

1/ Sensor clamp needs 3x AA batteries, whilst my freebie unit from EDF some years ago did not
2/ Sensor to Monitor connection seems flaky, lost connectivity overnight & wouldn't re-pair (plus data not collected whilst unpaired)
3/ Browser dashboard on website has different settings to the iOS app on my phone (eg: no iPhone setting for tariff rate etc) and they display different usage / cost rates of consumption

Needs a bit more work, and as another reviewer said, a user forum too. I've returned my unit to Amazon for a refund & will be looking for another manufacturer.

The Counsellor
The Counsellor
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst film of 2013, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Counsellor (Blu-ray)
or at least certainly the most disappointing reality versus expectation. Top name Director, stellar cast - should've been fantastic, but genuinely the first time I've considered leaving a cinema showing in a long long time.

Very stylishly shot, great locations etc, but it's just very hard to care at all about any of the characters in any way. I'm also not normally prudish about things, but much of the violence is gratuitous and unnecessary & stays with you - we get the gist that drug cartels are bad guys, there's no need to be this graphic.

On paper this must've seemed like such a good idea, but it's not. Waste of time / money / talent = avoid.

Fitness-Mad Studio Pro 500Kg Swiss Ball & Pump
Fitness-Mad Studio Pro 500Kg Swiss Ball & Pump
Price: 18.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, quality product, 12 May 2014
Very pleased with this, very robust & a lot stronger than I am. New found respect for people who can complete a full workout on these!

Ass Savers Bike Mudguard - Pink
Ass Savers Bike Mudguard - Pink
Offered by SDJ Sports Ltd
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 12 May 2014
Really useful - I don't want mudguards on my road bike, so this just sits under the saddle til needed (and quite hi-viz for a rainy grey day). A touch narrow for my Brooks saddle rails, so it doesn't grab both sides perfectly, but hasn't fallen off yet.

Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor - Black
Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor - Black
Price: 79.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not super accurate, 12 May 2014
Overall I like the Vivofit, but these types of devices are still in their early days & provided you have the right expectation it's pretty good. Many of the less positive reviews on the web criticise the lack of GPS or backlight, but that's the trade-off for having a really long battery life - personally I couldn't be bothered to charge something like this regularly, so it suits me fine.

It's not a replacement for some of the more exercise focused GPS watches to track running etc, I have an Edge 510 for cycling too & it's interesting to see all the bar charts together on your Garmin Connect dashboard to see which days & times of day when you've been active - I've got off my backside specially to make sure I hit my daily steps goal a few times, so I guess it's doing me some good.

- I agree that the strap needs to be more secure, I've had some near misses with it coming loose & could've easily lost it a few times.

- Because it's an accelerometer & you wear it all the time, it counts some 'other movements' as steps. I can accept brushing my teeth as clocking-up movement, but it also registered a lot of steps whilst sat still driving the car which isn't good & I hope they can fix that with a software update soon.

- Occasionally fails to sync with my iPhone & a few tries holding down the button are needed, but not a regular issue for me. Seems to fail more often when you've not synced for a few days & there'll be more data to transfer?

I like the idea of these trackers & am interested to see how they develop - mobile phones came a long way in a short time, so as long as you think of this as the equivalent of an old Motorola brick you'll not be disappointed.

Panasonic TX-39AS600 39 -inch LCD 1080 pixels 100 Hz TV
Panasonic TX-39AS600 39 -inch LCD 1080 pixels 100 Hz TV
Offered by Tribal UK
Price: 499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 May 2014
I bought this as a replacement for my ageing 37" HD TV - due to the thinner bezel 'margin' there is more glass visible with the bigger 39" size occupying the same space in the front room.

Mine has a silver bezel across the bottom & black up the sides / top - had thought it'd be silver all the way round but the edge seems to 'disappear' whilst actually watching the TV.

- Surprisingly light & thin, looks good on the supplied stand
- Superb picture from Freeview / Humax PVR / PlayStation / Apple TV etc etc ...
- Easy setup on Freeview tuner & ethernet / wifi links to broadband router
- THX setup free phone app worked really well for picture settings
- rollback Freetime guide (watch yesterdays TV via Guide over broadband) works well, but it's a bit slow, hoping this gets better

Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router
Price: 94.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, and worth the money, 13 Aug 2013
I'd always used the default free router provided by my broadband supplier, but when I got more interested in connecting all my devices & setting up PowerLAN, I took the plunge to buy 'a proper router'. Initially I was very sceptical about shelling out big money for something I could get free, but a year on I'm very glad I did & the Billion is the one to get.

- This now links my Mac desktop, Windows laptop, Canon printer, iPhone, Synology NAS, Humax PVR, Apple TV, Wii and PS3 (plus several Airport Express / AirTunes adaptors) without any fuss at all.

- The ability to tweak the box (Google for snr.cgi) has made a good difference to my ADSL download speed & the connection is rock solid reliable.

I'd buy the same one again tomorrow, very happy with it.

Solwise ADSL Faceplate Splitter for NTE5
Solwise ADSL Faceplate Splitter for NTE5
Offered by PC Supplies Limited
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars DOH! - check the Solwise website first ..., 9 Jun 2013
I was confused by the enclosed instructions - wasn't at all clear (to me at least) that the colours referenced in the leaflet were different to those in, what turned out to be, my BT Master Socket! This is straight plug & play, there shouldn't be any wiring involved unless you are connecting in a second Extension Socket elsewhere.

Don't do this - I ended up connecting the Orange and White wires into this faceplate - now I have a lot of hiss on my phone line, no dial tone & no broadband signal. Seems likely a shamefaced call to BT, a big callout charge & a speech about how I've broken the law is on the cards ...

Sony STRDH520 AV Receiver - Black
Sony STRDH520 AV Receiver - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product & great value, 26 Mar 2013
Very pleased with this, bought to replace an ageing all-in-one Sony DVD surround system (S-Video + Optical audio anyone?). One HDMI cable output to the telly, and four HDMI inputs from your other gear - I'm connecting a PS3, Apple TV and a Humax HD PVR. I've paired it with a set of Boston Acoustics 5.1 XS SE speakers / subwoofer and it sounds great to me in my small-ish lounge. You could go nuts and spend a lot more money, but this plays my movies and games in surround & sounds good for music, so I'm well chuffed.

Also delighted to be no longer constantly using the TV remote to change the input from Humax to PS3 etc - just push one of the input buttons on the amp remote & my Sony TV changes to that source.

Things to note:
- the initial one-off setup is all done on the LED display on the amp itself, not on the TV (I think the next model up (820 for 249) has set-up on screen?)
- you do need to read the manual to select your speaker mode & auto-calibrate distances, but simple enough to follow the steps - took longer to wire-in speakers than the two setup stages
- front left & right 5.1 surround speakers need to be connected to 'the posts' screw-in connectors on the rear, not the push-spring connectors (which are for extra 7.1 speakers, DOH!)
- you will need an active powered subwoofer and a connecting single phono-type lead, a passive non-powered sub will not work
- thinner speaker cable is better, as the holes to connect into are quite small - QED Micro worked perfectly for me

Page: 1 | 2 | 3